• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Someone having a Stab at this ? (1 Viewer)

Definitely buzzard of some type, and I am leaning rough-legged as well.

Please, for next time, include the location in the thread heading.

thanks
Niels

Taken in Mull - Have a stab ?

I took this in Mull yesterday, and a few minutes before a Raven flew past, this towered it in size, thats why i think its an eagle, seen common buzzards in the same area and this was a good 2 - 3 times the size.

I took this in Mull yesterday, and a few minutes before a Raven flew past, this towered it in size, thats why i think its an eagle, seen common buzzards in the same area and this was a good 2 - 3 times the size.
Size of a bird is notoriously difficult to determine, even at the best of times - that is, with something in view to use for scale. (See some of the many Sharp-shinned/Cooper's Hawk debates).

Against an empty sky - hopeless. There's just no yardstick to go by. I never use size as a id. feature, except in relative terms - and even then I try to avoid it, the eyes play tricks.

I also think the plumage is right for Rough-legged Buzzard (of which I've seen plenty, over here).

Peter

Its definitley not an eagle, and definitely a Buzzard species. Size illusion is always possible, sexual size differences in raptors, etc. But RL Buzzards are longer winged than Common Buzzards, not 2-3 times the size but the long wings give them an eagle like impression. Im fairly sure that RL Buzzard is a much rarer bird on Mull than Golden Eagle, and thats what this is i would be very pleased with yourself ;)
James

There is one flight photo of golden eagle on this page and more available through the link to the gallery at the bottom of the page. Compare those to your image to see why this is not a goldie.

And as others have said: size is not a good field mark, we as humans are just not able to judge size reliably.

Niels

I would go for a pale Common Buzzard here.

I think the paleness on the tail area is just on the rump, not the tail feathers themselves, plus what Jane has said about the inner wing coverts. Also the chance of RL at this time of year is slim.

There is also a suggestion of quite a bit of yellow tarsus showing, which would obviously rule out RLB if it indeed present.

I have emailed it to a couple of freinds on Mull who regularly see White Tailed Sea Eagles, and they think it could be one of those.

I know the picture is not great but it was the best i could get at the time, this bird just sat on the upwind on the cliff edge and then just glided away , didnt fly in the normal buzzard charactaristical flight.

regards

I have emailed it to a couple of freinds on Mull who regularly see White Tailed Sea Eagles, and they think it could be one of those.

No Novice, without any doubt this is a buteo BUZZARD - eagles simply do not look like this!

Whilst it does give the initial impression of a Rough-leg, I see birds like this very frequently that are simply Common Buzzards, and would suggest that it what it is.

Last edited:
I would have leaned towards RL Buzzard probably wrongly(as its probably a Common) but its really not a Eagle in any way.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back