• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merganser? Grebe? (1 Viewer)

lassa8

United States
Not sure what these birds are. Any ideas? I saw them at Clarence Cannon National Wildlife Reserve along the Mississippi River about an hour drive north of St. Louis this past weekend. When I got too close to the birds they quickly plunged underwater and surfaced about 15-25 feet away.

Attachments

• birds.jpg
    birds.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 309
  • birds2.jpg
    birds2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 281
The prominent one on the first pic looks like a female Red-breasted Merganser. I'm guessing the rest are immature Red-breasteds? Any Common Mergansers in there?

Hooded Merganser, female with ducklings.

Red-breasted Merg and Common Merg both have longer, slenderer bodies and bills, and a more pronounced orangey head colour with a whiter chin

Michael

Checked on the maps - Hooded Merg is also the only merganser that breeds in MO, the other two you have to go a long way further north, up to northern MN and WI

Michael

I agree with crispycreme's ID of Red-Breasted Merganser. I have yet to see one!

Michael, a Hoodie wouldn't have a shaggy crest that is found on the RBM. The Hoodie's crest is more rounded.

I agree with Michael on Hooded Merganser. I guess like any other sawbill, the crest can get a bit worn at this time of year and can look a bit less neat and more shaggy (certainly happens with Goosander/ Common Merganser). I'm very used to seeing RB Mergs (albeit European birds) and these don't look like them.

Yeah, I think I got lazy looking at the shaggy crests. The duotone body indicates a Hooded. Common and Red-breasted seem to have a more uniform appearance along the body, according to Sibley.

Yes, as said by Andrew & Michael, they are all Hooded Merganesers. One of the individuals on photo #2 does indeed somewhat resemble a female Red-breasted, but the colouration & jizz is all wrong. It is also a Hooded (remember moult!)...

Thanks for the quick replies! Hooded merganser seemed like the most likely choice (based on it being the only breeding merganser listed on the NWR checklist) but I wasn't sure since I'd never seen one before

Rasmus Boegh said:
The general impression of shape (and flight). Apparently originates from the English military slang "GISS" (General Impression of Shape and Size).

As Rasmus states JIZZ is a term taken from British fighter pilots now widly used by birders on this side of the pond.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back