• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock Pipit and Meadow Pipit? RSPB Rainham Marshes, UK (1 Viewer)

Paul Collins

Hi,

I went to RSPB Rainham Marshes today, near London, and there were reported sightings yesterday of a dozen rock pipits, 1 or 2 water pipits, and numerous meadow pipits. We definitely saw at least two of the species, but the question is, which two?

We saw all pipits along a sea wall, between the edge of the main reserve's grasses/reedbeds and the rocks along the water's edge.
This first bird was feeding along side some rubbish. We think it is a meadow pipit, because of the pink legs, the light brown colouring, the big eye, the appearance of the breast, and the general jizz. Any confirmation?
05 meadow pipit.jpg
07 meadow pipit.jpg
06 meadow pipit.jpg

We think the second bird is a rock pipit. It looked slimmer, had darker wings and a less white and less speckled breast, a smaller slit-like eye...
08 rock pipit.jpg
09 rock pipit.jpg

My friend didn't want to rule water pipit though, and neither of us have seen water pipit in winter plumage (I've only ever seen one, in summer plumage, and he's not seen one at all). So if you could explain what makes either bird a rock rather than a water pipit, or a water pipit rather than a rock, that would be great, thanks!

Paul

Agreed meadow 1-3 and Rock 4&5
Water pipit shows a far more distinct supercilium and wing-bar ,water also a shyer bird which will fly far away when flushed whereas meadow pipits tend to only move a short distance away.At this time of year water pips not as dark as Rock however they do become much darker when they go through moult next year.

Thank you both. That's what we thought, and for those reasons too, although I didn't know about the distances that each species will fly when spooked, so that's an interesting tip to remember.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back