• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorants, Terns, Whimbrel, SF Bay Area, Early January (1 Viewer)

Sasquatch Fingers

International Man of Leisure
1. Brandt's Cormorant?
2. Pelagic Cormorant? Seems early for the breeding plumage.
3. Pretty sure it's a Whimbrel but it looked a lot like the Bristle-Thighed Curlew when I was looking in the book. I eliminated the BTC on range though, so this is just a courtesy confirmation.
4. This tern may be the same one in the next series.
5. Tern, obviously. Forster's? Arctic on migration?

Attachments

• bfbrandtscormorant.jpg
    bfbrandtscormorant.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 23
  • bfpelagiccormorant.jpg
    bfpelagiccormorant.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 25
  • bfwhimbrelorcurlew.jpg
    bfwhimbrelorcurlew.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 28
  • bftern1.jpg
    bftern1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 19
  • bftern2.jpg
    bftern2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 36
5. The fourth was the same bird as the first three in that set. I included that because it gave a better look at the shape of the tail than the others.

And I can add that if you think this is early for Pelagic Cormorants to be showing their breeding plumage, some were in it already a month ago!

3 yep, [Hudsonian] Whimbrel
4 Forster's Tern
5 Top 3 Forster's Tern, 4th unidentifiable

Pass on the cormorants

Actually, it is identifiable, as long as one is willing to rule out rarities from the get-go. It is a fork-tailed species and it has pale primaries from above. That's enough at that location at that season to rule out all but Forster's. Of course, there's really only one fork-tailed tern species that is regular in California in winter, so that would have been enough. But, the wing coloration can rule out an out-of-place Common Tern.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back