• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Black Back? (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Can anyone confirm this is a Lesser Black Back and, if possible from this pic tell me what age it is.

Thanks a lot

D

delia todd said:
Can anyone confirm this is a Lesser Black Back and, if possible from this pic tell me what age it is.

Thanks a lot

D

Sorry forgot to attach picture - silly me!

Attachments

• Gull for BF.jpg
    Gull for BF.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 342
You were too quick for me Jos - thanks for trying.

D

Now I wouldn't describe myself as a expert when it comes to the big gulls in immature plumage, but I would say that was a Herring Gull. If you look at its mantle, you can see some of the pale grey feather coming through that typify the adult. As far as age goes, someone will correct me on this, but 2nd or 3rd year?

Jos Stratford said:
Now I wouldn't describe myself as a expert when it comes to the big gulls in immature plumage, but I would say that was a Herring Gull. If you look at its mantle, you can see some of the pale grey feather coming through that typify the adult. As far as age goes, someone will correct me on this, but 2nd or 3rd year?

Again i'm no expert, in fact the more i look at gulls the more confused i get.
For what its worth, I also think its a Herring Gull in first winter plumage

Phil..

Normally gulls, especially juveniles, have me reaching for the valium ( even more than warblers and small waders!!!) but I noticed straight away that the legs look rather pink to me so first thought WAS Herring Gull....or possibly GBBG.
But then I too noticed the grey feathers coming through which looks, to my uneducated eyes, like Herring Gull.

So that's my guess.....but as to age :h?: It ain't an adult and it ain't THIS years' young newly fledged! ;) LOL

Gill

Hi Delia!
Your bird is a LBBG alrigt, and it´s a second calendar year type moulting to second winter. You can see a new darker primary (with a rounded tip) showing up inside the older juvenile worn ones (with pointed tip). There are individual variation, some have a paler bill base, and some are less advanced in moult. This bird have third generation grey feathers on it´s back and scapulars admixed with old second generation ones. Almost all coverts and tertials are second gen. feathers. So, I think it´s a graellsii LBBG, younger birds like this sometimes look a bit paler than adults. Otherwise you usally call LBBG in this age, and younger ones, and also sometimes adult birds, graellsii/intermedius because they vary in shade of upperparts, and different light circumstances makes it difficult to see a shade properly. A nice image of a nice bird!
JanJ

Excellent job, JanJ, and I do agree -- 2nd calendar year Lesser Black-backed Gull.

At first glance, I have to say the combination of shortish primaries that looked a tad lighter than the tertials, as well as adultish mantle feathers coming in with a nearly all dark bill, made me look twice. But you explained everything and tied it out nicely, and otherwise the bird looks excellent for LBBG for everything from head and bill shape right down to the pattern details on tertials and coverts.

I concur on the photo as well, good job Delia!

Thanks everyone for your replies. Only recently started getting 'into' gulls - nightmare isn't it!

JanJ and Theyeri, brilliant answers, just what I was looking for. Spent the last hour studying the picture with your pointers and it is gradually becoming clearer.

Thanks also for your kind remarks on the photo, perhaps I'll upload it to the Gallery now.

D

JANJ said:
Hi Thayeri,
Have you seen this site? There are some very nice images on various gulls.
Have a look at this Yellow-legged Gull (michahellis) and compare it with the LBBG commented here.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~daarruud/michahellis2e.html
Thanks for the nice words,
JanJ

Most interesting bird, and the resemblence in some ways is fairly striking. If it weren't for the head and tail you would likely even have me doing some second guessing on the bird here!

Thanks for the link, I hadn't been there before, but it is in my gull folder now, interesting site with some very good photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back