• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor at Inner Marsh Farm (1 Viewer)

Dave Curtis

This raptor was photographed at Inner Marsh Farm, Cheshire, UK on Saturday 26th October 2002. I thought it was a dark juvenile female Merlin, possibly of the Icelandic race subaesalon.

A number of regular observers said that this bird has been present for most of October and has caused a lot of discussion. The bird was thought by some to be too dark and too big for Merlin and juvenile Hobby was suggested.

The wing tips appear to stop well short of the end of the tail in other photos.

I would be interested to hear some other views. Sorry about the state of the photo, it was taken at 60x through a Swarovski scope using a Coolpix 990 at maximum zoom - the bird was a long way away.

Dave Curtis

Attachments

• falcon dscn1478 web.jpg
    falcon dscn1478 web.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 468
Dave

I find it hard to differentiate between birds you mention with this photo. I would ask what the bird is doing, together with the Gizz of the bird, when flying. I find that the Merlin tends to hug nearer the ground than the Hobby plus the wings on a Hobby tend to be Swift like in flight whereas the Merlin, to my way of thinking, tend to be rounder looking at the back. The wings, when folded back should finish before the tail on a Merlin whereas the Hobbies wings usually finish level with the end of the tail. I am no expert on this subject, and feel free if any of you disagree, but I feel that the photo isn't conclusive and that other factors will play the part in finding the ID of this bird.

What does anyone else think?

Regards
John J

Hi John J,

The bird sat in an open field for about an hour then moved to this post for about 10 minutes before flying off. It's jizz looked more like Merlin than Hobby to me.

Here is another view of the bird. The ear coverts look too pale for Hobby to me. The wings tips also appear to fall short of the end of the tail.

Dave

Attachments

• falcon dscn1480 web.jpg
    falcon dscn1480 web.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 459
I tend to find small falcons easier in flight, the jizz is a good pointer!! Looking at your pics Dave I would edge towards merlin...although size always seems harder in a photo.

By the way, I knew a Dave Curtis in North Devon who was interested in birds?? Is that you or do you have a carbon copy ??

It is very difficult to see on the photo but the feathers around the feet suggest an orange colouration in which case I would go for Hobby.

Colin

I must admit that at first I had to go along with Colin but seeing the 2nd photo, mmmmm!!, I don't know. The wings do seem to fall short of the tail and I have never known that in a Hobby.

What do you think Colin?

Regards
John

John,
A difficult one. On the second pic, there is still the orange 'patch' near the feet and the side of the head pattern seems more distintive than a Merlin but the length of primaries relative to tail suggests Merlin unless this latter is a trick of the angle. It is difficult to assess the size of the bird. I would favour Hobby but this is not conclusive and as such I would have to leave it as falcon sp.

Colin

Colin

I have to agree with you. A Falcon species it shall be, unless someone tells us different lol.

Regards
John J

Hi all,
In my opinion this is a juv.Merlin.The head pattern isn't really right for juv.Hobby,nor is the relationship between the length of the primaries and the tail.Granted,it is well marked,but just a Merlin,I'm afraid!
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back