Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
|Monday 30th September 2013, 23:16||#1|
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Reno, Nevada
Please Read Before Posting To The Id Forum
Here are some suggestions to maximize the likelihood getting prompt and useful responses to your query.
1. The more locational information you provide in the title of the post, the more likely it is that people knowledgeable about the birds of your area will bother to take a look at it. Country--region--state/province--county--town, the further down the location tree you go, the better.
2. The exact or approximate date of the sighting can be a useful clue to the ID
3. Photos can be extremely helpful and are always welcome, including several photos giving different views of the same bird when appropriate.
4. Some indication of size, absolute (metric or American/imperial) or relative, is always important. Bigger than a chicken, about the size of a robin, 3 ft. wingspread, whatever.
5. Behavior. Behavioral details can be very useful. Wing & tail movements, for example, are helpful for the ID of many birds.
Please don't be deterred by any of the above from posting. Don't worry if you can't provide some or all of this info. The regulars who frequent the ID forum love to show off their expertise and anything is grist for their mill. If all you've got is a glimpse of something avian disappearing in deep cover or the memory of a mysterious cry in the dark, give it a shot. Somebody here is very likely to be able to help.
Please do not post photos of eggs or captive birds for identification. You may post a link to a photo of a nest but do not post the photo of the nest here.
Bird photos (Flickr): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/
". . .Let them be left, O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."
--Gerard Manley Hopkins
BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation
|Wednesday 9th August 2017, 07:58||#2|
Join Date: Aug 2017
It may be good to reword things a bit for clarification. Maybe something like this:
"Please do not post photos of eggs for identification. You may post a link to a photo of a nest, but do not directly post the photo of the nest here. Please do not post or link to photos of captive birds."
I hope this helps! :)
|Rate This Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Please read before posting||KC Foggin||Companions for Birding Trips||0||Monday 10th January 2011 00:39|
|READ THIS BEFORE POSTING: Include Country and Location in title of your Thread Please||Larry Lade||Bird Identification Q&A||38||Thursday 10th July 2008 01:16|
|Read This Before Posting Photos In This Forum||Andy Bright||Photos of New Species for OPUS||8||Monday 14th June 2004 20:14|