Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 09:43   #1
peterarras

Redstart ID from Al Ain, UAE, 12.10.2017.

Hi all,
can someone confirm, that this bird on this bad picture is a Eastern Black Redstart and not a Common Redstart?!
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4307a.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	642787  
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 11:33   #2
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Brightened it a bit in photoshop; I'd agree with Black Redstart, I'd guess perhaps more likely the middle east subspecies Phoenicurus ochruros semirufus rather than central Asian P. o. phoenicuroides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	642789  
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 11:44   #3
MJB

When I lightened the image, Peter, the bird's head and back came out a bright blue with no discernible markings on the head, presumably an artefact? That being the case, I would put forward semirufus as the likely taxon of Black Redstart here.
MJB
PS Ooops! Cross-posted
PPS I withdraw this assessment - please see post 5 written after access to my notes!

Last edited by MJB : Thursday 12th October 2017 at 19:12.
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 11:50   #4
andyb39

It's definitely Eastern Black.

According to the UAE checklist, it's P.o.phoenicuroides that we get here, not semirufus.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-z5cBz/i-VCRZDkx

The occasional all-darkish birds that turn up are labelled P.o.ochruros, although they used to be labelled P.o.gibraltariensis.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-tWBF6/i-T3WPGKm

Last edited by andyb39 : Thursday 12th October 2017 at 19:17.
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 19:10   #5
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb39 View Post
It's definitely Eastern Black.

According to the UAE checklist, it's P.o. phoenicuroides that we get here, not semirufus.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-z5cBz/i-VCRZDkx

The occasional all-darkish birds that turn up are labelled P.o. ochruros, although they used to be labelled P.o.gibraltariensis.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-tWBF6/i-T3WPGKm
Andy,
Thanks for reminding me that nowadays semirufus is considered confined to the Levant; phoenicuroides indeed is the taxon usually encountered in the UAE. It perhaps is useful to consider phoenicuroides separately, under the informal name of 'Central Asian Black Redstart', leaving rufiventris as the sole taxon under 'Eastern Black Redstart'.
MJJ
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: