• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you buy a good roof prism for $200.00 or are you jerking our diopter Frank? (1 Viewer)

Ah, the Eternal Question. What do we do after our dreams come true? The Wise Man knows when he has Enough, but if he be truly Wise, he will do all he can to avoid "Enough"!

Sancho that is a true wise guy quote if I ever heard one.

Agreed, Dennis' opinions on bins changes like the weather (last night the low here was 21*, today the high is going to be 22*).

However, it's very unusual for him to praise any "cheapo bin" over an alpha, given his penchant for owning "the best". In fact, I recall several threads in which he reviled "cheapo bins," so perhaps this is the start of something new, one could hope.

It also reinforces the growing sentiment by Frank, myself, and others that the optics coming out of China are "getting better all the time".

For those who either can't afford "the best" or are too parsimonious (Word-of-the-Day) to dig that deep, it is a welcomed egalitarian change.

Sightron's focuser knob looks like the one on the ZR ED2. My first sample ED2 had a very stiff focuser (took two fingers to turn), but the second sample was buttery smooth. Hopefully, Sightron will improve the focusers on its next production of binoculars.

As it is now, I wouldn't buy one because the chief reason for me choosing a roof over a porro would be to use the roof in cold weather when my porros' external focusers slow to a crawl.

Time will tell if the Sightron is actually a "keeper" for Dennis. I'm also curious to see which alpha Dennis sells and which he keeps. I think we'll have to wait until after allbinos' review and ranking of the 8x32 EDG.

Glad to hear that Frank wasn't jerking our diopters. :)

Brock

Yes, the Chinese binoculars are getting better and better. Swarovski, Nikon, and Zeiss had better watch out because the Chinese will be catching up with them. It is shocking how good this Sightron is for the money. I was like Frank. I practically had a heart attack when I looked through it. But what gets me is the Chinese have mastered the optics but they can't seem to get the focus right. Well this morning I had a "Battle of ther Alpha's" out on my deck while simultaneously looking through the Sightron. It was about 55 degrees and the Sightron focus was still a little stiff. It must be the type of lubricant they use in them. It probably works good in the Phillipines but you get in a cooler climate and it gets sticky. Well the Zeiss FL put up a good fight but in the end the Nikon EDG won the battle. I like the sharper edges of the EDG. I don't think they are quite as sharp as the SV but they don't have any rolling ball either. Nikon designed these well. They made quite a few improvements on this new model EDG II also. It has better balance than the I and it is better balanced than the Zeiss FL. The EDG II has some indentations underneath it for your thumbs and it is a little longer than the Zeiss FL so for me the way it fits your hands and the balance of it is just perfect. The soft rubbery armour on the EDG is to die for. It feels great in your hands. The EDG also has the most buttery smooth focus I have ever felt which is typical of Nikon especially the LX and the diopter works great also. How come nobody else can make a focus like Nikon? Zenray and the rest of the Chinese manufacturers should just take it apart and reverse engineer it. The eyecups are silky smooth on the EDG ,whereas, the Zeiss is typically German in other words a little less smooth. The tethered objective covers are attached with a little bump that was designed into the binoculars so they won't come off. You get stuff like that when you pay $2K. Great engineering Nikon. The rainguard also works perfect on the Nikon. The EDG eyecups feel good in your eyes too. The EDG edge sharpness and the ergonomics won me over to the Nikon even though it is a little heavier than the Zeiss it is very well balanced. It is one sweet binocular. Know back to the Sightron. It has the fuzziest edges of these three but it is still quite good. As Franks has said the sweet spot is very large and there is a slight red warm tint to the view, whereas the Zeiss and EDG have less color and are colder and slightly brighter. Not at all bothersome. The Sightron also has good stray light control. I almost looked directly at the sun and it must be baffled well because I saw hardly any stray light. I don't have a Swarovski 8x30 CL to test it against but I bet the Sightron would beat it out because of the bigger FOV. So I will keep the Sightron for my knockaround binocular and the EDG for my serious birding binocular. I have only $750.00 in the EDG and $200.00 in the Sightron so for less than $1K I am set. I must say I am VERY impressed with Nikon's warranty! They replaced my Nikon 8x32 EDG I with a brand new type II for $10.00 and it wasn't even under warranty. I don't see any other manufacturer doing that! Well I am going to install the straps on my EDG and Sightron and then list the Zeiss 8x32 FL on E-bay. If you want an FL jump on it because it is like new without a scratch and it has Lotutec.

Last edited:
Dennis, I'm still hurting real deep from your rejection of the Swaro SV 8.5x42. It's hard to forgive an apostate, but I'll try;).

Ah, the Eternal Question. What do we do after our dreams come true? The Wise Man knows when he has Enough, but if he be truly Wise, he will do all he can to avoid "Enough"!

Sorry! But I started seeing "Rolling Ball" in the SV and it bothered me. Once you notice it it bugs you. So try not to notice it.

Sorry! But I started seeing "Rolling Ball" in the SV and it bothered me. Once you notice it it bugs you. So try not to notice it.

I kinda like Rolling Ball. It makes me feel like I'm back in the eighties.:smoke:
Luckily, we can't get Sightrons this side of the Atlantic, so I'm stuck with it.

... Well I am going to install the straps on my EDG and Sightron and then list the Zeiss 8x32 FL on E-bay. If you want an FL jump on it because it is like new without a scratch and it has Lotutec.

You're sure Dennis!? Without a Lotutec-like coating that EDG is just another fair weather bin. A little mist in the air and it might as well be an anchor around your neck! Even my lowly $200 Bushnell Ultra HD has Rainguard!

Actually, I heard after the initial production run Nikon decided it was not economically feasible to build the EDG in Japan so had to outsource to China. Thus the EDGII! They send the completed bin back to Japan where it is packaged for retail delivery to keep the illusion of "Made In Japan".o:D

Well I am going to install the straps on my EDG and Sightron and then list the Zeiss 8x32 FL on E-bay...

Dennis, you can't be serious? I know we can all change our tastes, but not two weeks ago, you proclaimed the Zeiss FL 8x32 to be the dog's balloneys of the bino-world. Now you get a 200-buck EL-copy and you're switching again? You have even me confused. Pull yourself together and be consistent, man!;) (Of course, I don't really mean it, they're only binoculars, and as such, playthings).

It would seem I picked the wrong day to clean up the basement and garage. I missed all of the fun.

Dennis, thank you for posting your comments. You did say something in one of your subsequent posts that gave me pause. I hope you continue to enjoy the Sightrons. As I mentioned in another post, the Sightrons are one of those models that you appreciate more and more as you continue to use them. Some of their optical performance benefits are very subtle and not immediately obvious.

Also, though I am sure there is going to be some sample variation at this price point, the focus on my Sightrons is now, after 4 months, now much smoother than it was originally....even in cold weather.

If you want to feel a stiff focuser then take out one of my classic 7x35 porros that hasn't been greased in years. Now that is a stiff focuser! Good thing they have a design that allows my eyes to obtain excellent depth of field without much refocusing. ;)

Dennis, you can't be serious? I know we can all change our tastes, but not two weeks ago, you proclaimed the Zeiss FL 8x32 to be the dog's balloneys of the bino-world. Now you get a 200-buck EL-copy and you're switching again? You have even me confused. Pull yourself together and be consistent, man!;) (Of course, I don't really mean it, they're only binoculars, and as such, playthings).

Never really tried the EDG for any length of time until now. I decided I like the ergos on the new II and the focus is butter smooth. They really fit my hands nice and they are really balanced and anyway Zeiss I heard is coming out with a new model and I am sure it is going to be another new sharp edge model so I want to be on that cutting edge of binocular technology.

It would seem I picked the wrong day to clean up the basement and garage. I missed all of the fun.

Dennis, thank you for posting your comments. You did say something in one of your subsequent posts that gave me pause. I hope you continue to enjoy the Sightrons. As I mentioned in another post, the Sightrons are one of those models that you appreciate more and more as you continue to use them. Some of their optical performance benefits are very subtle and not immediately obvious.

Also, though I am sure there is going to be some sample variation at this price point, the focus on my Sightrons is now, after 4 months, now much smoother than it was originally....even in cold weather.

If you want to feel a stiff focuser then take out one of my classic 7x35 porros that hasn't been greased in years. Now that is a stiff focuser! Good thing they have a design that allows my eyes to obtain excellent depth of field without much refocusing. ;)

It makes me wonder if Sightron just needs to use some low temperature grease. In telescope focusers you take the Chinese grease out and replace it with a better grease and it improves them 100%. Good to know they loosen up after a bit.

You're sure Dennis!? Without a Lotutec-like coating that EDG is just another fair weather bin. A little mist in the air and it might as well be an anchor around your neck! Even my lowly $200 Bushnell Ultra HD has Rainguard!

Actually, I heard after the initial production run Nikon decided it was not economically feasible to build the EDG in Japan so had to outsource to China. Thus the EDGII! They send the completed bin back to Japan where it is packaged for retail delivery to keep the illusion of "Made In Japan".o:D

Well the Chinese can then make a good focuser then. I like the ergos of the new II. It seems to fit my hands and it has excellent balance. It will work until the new SV or FL 8x32 comes out in a couple of months.

Yep, Dennis is serious, he has the Zeiss 8x32T*FL LT listed on Ebay. $1195 Buy it now shipped.

I think that is a false rumor. It has a big made in Japan printed right on the diopter knob. Besides the focus is smooth and not overly stiff.

1195.00 doesn't seem to bad considering as recently as two weeks ago it was the best binocular on earth.;)

Steve

Brings up a worthwhile point. Much of how we rate our equipment is totally subjective and based in emotional attachment to certain symbols and ideas, moods and needs. If one was to find their "perfect" optic and be done then this forum would be a ghost town for the most part. We have a deep seated need for distraction from the present in trade for the search for the perfect future. That ideal future is the place we can rest from our labors but it never comes. It's the eternal carrot on a stick.

Last edited:
Brings up a worthwhile point. Much of how we rate our equipment is totally subjective and based in emotional attachment to certain symbols and ideas, moods and needs. If one was to find their "perfect" optic and be done then this forum would be a ghost town for the most part. We have a deep seated need for distraction from the present in trade for the search for the perfect future. That ideal future is the place we can rest from our labors but it never comes. It's the eternal carrot on a stick.

If you prefer a case with a strap and a belt loop like I do Eagle Optics Ranger case in a 42mm works perfect for the 8x32mm Sightron II with enough room at the top to put the small strap inside. I happened to have one in the house and it fit nice without being too bulky or large much like the case that comes with the Sightron except with the strap and belt loop on it. Here it is.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular...binocular-case

I can't believe any of you (in early replies within this thread) Sightron fans found anything to take comfort in Dennis' review. Anyone who knows Dennis from this forum knows not to read too much into his assertions because they change over short periods of time and they are variously motivated by (a) his desire to share his honest opinions, (b) his desire to promote a bin that he wants to sell, and maybe even (c) his desire to buy a bin cheap. So maybe Dennis really likes the Sightron, or maybe his glowing words are an effort to try to maintain the resale value of his unit.

No need for anyone to protest to the above, it is mostly written in jest. If Dennis didn't like the Sightron (at least for the moment) he'd have returned it for refund (unless maybe he thinks he can make a bit of $$ by selling it as a "certified by Dennis cherry" unit--again, just kidding). Seriously though, I never thought Dennis would have a Nikon EDG, after all he's said about Nikon alphas having no resale value. Dennis, you took a risk and were unwittingly rewarded with replacement with the current model, so you're doing well with your Nikon purchase, but what would be your general advice about buying Nikon aphas now? Also, aren't you bothered by the high weight of the EDG compared to the FL?

--AP

I can't believe any of you (in early replies within this thread) Sightron fans found anything to take comfort in Dennis' review. Anyone who knows Dennis from this forum knows not to read too much into his assertions because they change over short periods of time and they are variously motivated by (a) his desire to share his honest opinions, (b) his desire to promote a bin that he wants to sell, and maybe even (c) his desire to buy a bin cheap. So maybe Dennis really likes the Sightron, or maybe his glowing words are an effort to try to maintain the resale value of his unit.

No need for anyone to protest to the above, it is mostly written in jest. If Dennis didn't like the Sightron (at least for the moment) he'd have returned it for refund (unless maybe he thinks he can make a bit of $$ by selling it as a "certified by Dennis cherry" unit--again, just kidding). Seriously though, I never thought Dennis would have a Nikon EDG, after all he's said about Nikon alphas having no resale value. Dennis, you took a risk and were unwittingly rewarded with replacement with the current model, so you're doing well with your Nikon purchase, but what would be your general advice about buying Nikon aphas now? Also, aren't you bothered by the high weight of the EDG compared to the FL?

--AP

I am not really worried about the resale on a pair of $200.00 binoculars like the Sightrons. I still don't think Nikon's resale value are as good as some of the other alpha brands. But since I got this new Nikon 8x32 EDG II for $750.00 I really don't have to worry about losing any money on it. I am sure I could sell them for $1200.00 or so if I chose to. It was a hard decision between the Zeiss FL 8x32 and the Nikon 8x32 EDG II. The Nikon is certainly heavier and I felt it more on the first model EDG I open bridge model I had but this new EDG II is really well balanced and you don't notice those few ounces as much. The EDG II really fits my hands nice and the focus is REALLY smooth and precise. I decided I liked the armouring on the Nikon a little better than the Zeiss's ribbing. All personal things. Optics wise we are talking about the two best 8x32 roof prism binoculars in the world so it is hard to criticize either one. Both have awesome optics but the EDG II had a sharper edge so I decided I preferred it. The EDG II is sharp across the whole FOV which is quite spectacular like an SV without rolling ball. The Zeiss FL is a little less sharp at the edges but don't get me wrong the Zeiss has some incredible optics. It is incredibly sharp on-axis but so is the Nikon. The Sightron is the best buy I have ever seen in it's price range but of course it is not in the same league as these two. If you are on the fence about an 8x32 and you can't decide between the FL and EDG II go try them yourself because they are so close it does come down to how they fit your face and hands and if they give you blackouts or not. Remember though the EDG II is going to always have the sharper edge advantage until Zeiss does there redesign this summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back