• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (24 Viewers)

Nice to see the Black Tern early this morning, thanks for the txt Dave.

- heard a rumour John used his passport and ventured off piste today too. Quite a day.

illegal immigrant mate..quickly got withdrawal symptoms though and had to get back to the mecca pretty sharpish:smoke:

Last edited:
Dave, here is that image you wanted to see from today along the river.

Des.

Nice Shot of the little beastie Des - I'll look out for it when I'm along there. Was pleased to see the Brown Argus too but it was too quick for me to get a photo. I did manage a rather poor shot of one of the Black Terns early morning and a strange-looking insect - a Scorpion Fly:

Attachments

• Black Tern Sailing Pool UW 030511.jpg
    Black Tern Sailing Pool UW 030511.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Scorpion Fly UW 030511.JPG
    Scorpion Fly UW 030511.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 95
Nice Shot of the little beastie Des - I'll look out for it when I'm along there. Was pleased to see the Brown Argus too but it was too quick for me to get a photo. I did manage a rather poor shot of one of the Black Terns early morning and a strange-looking insect - a Scorpion Fly:

Ah! a male Scorpion Fly, we were only talking about those the other day, I wonder if they will have another bumper year?

All-Day Birdwatch

Just had a look at the weather forecast leading up to Satuday's all-dayer and for the day itself.

After a fine day today with winds in the SE, the next few days will be more cloudy with some showers and the wind in a straight southerly direction (temps of around 17-19C). Rain is predicted Friday night before further southerly winds and heavy showers on Saturday (temps still around 17C). Hopefully this will result in terns / waders / gulls / passerines dropping into the reserve during the day to boost the total! Similar weather is predicted on Sunday for those hardy enough to extend the event to an "All-Weekend" (think a further 4/5 species were added on Sunday last year incl Marsh Harrier and Arctic Tern).

Last edited:
Female Wheatear perched briefly on the fox fencing on the flashes this morning before flying off. Two Black Terns still on moors pool plus Cuckoo showed well and a Garden Warbler singing by coppiced area along east path - in addition to the one still holding territory in the ed res.

Summer plumaged Dunlin just dropped in on flashes too.

Last edited:
Just had a look at the weather forecast leading up to Satuday's all-dayer and for the day itself.

After a fine day today with winds in the SE, the next few days will be more cloudy with some showers and the wind in a straight southerly direction (temps of around 17-19C). Rain is predicted Friday night before further southerly winds and heavy showers on Saturday (temps still around 17C). Hopefully this will result in terns / waders / gulls / passerines dropping into the reserve during the day to boost the total! Similar weather is predicted on Sunday for those hardy enough to extend the event to an "All-Weekend" (think a further 4/5 species were added on Sunday last year incl Marsh Harrier and Arctic Tern).

Steve Nuttall said on last Saturday's showing we would have won;)

I'm really, really sorry about the no-show of the raft guys. I've taken the day off work on Friday and have (hopefully) arranged the loan of a Baker's Van to transport the raft as far as the Flashes steps. If this plan goes to pot like the previous ones, I'll carry it down the M5 hard shoulder myself!

Cheers Brian. Does anyone know what Jarrad is currently on? Somewhere between the two Daves I take it.

I think Jarred said he was on 123 yeterday - not sure whether he got the Wheatear this morning though.

I'm looking for the reported male Redstart behind the moors east hide - no sign in the past hour or so.

Garden Warbler singing and showing behind east hide now.

Last edited:
This is a quote from Geoff at Middleton Hall RSPB 1st May
Just checked up on the year list for the reserve, I reckon we've seen 112 species in April and the year list stands at 138.

pretty similar to upton

Hi everyone.

Just found this web site. Love going to Upton hoping to be their on Saturday. Will the black terns stick around by then

Welcome SellyoakBirder - hope you enjoy the thread and the reserve! With the weather conditions forecast and good numbers of Black Terns in the country with a bit of luck it may not be a question of will they still be here at the weekend but how many have they increased to.

Phil

Welcome SellyoakBirder - hope you enjoy the thread and the reserve! With the weather conditions forecast and good numbers of Black Terns in the country with a bit of luck it may not be a question of will they still be here at the weekend but how many have they increased to.

Phil

Thank you

I've yet to see them this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back