• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown call recording (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I walked into quite a fall of migrants this morning but spent nearly all the time staring at a patch of buckthorn.

I hear a resonant tack call (I 1st assumed a Sylvia) then it started putting a whiit durr before the tack, so I assumed a chat of some type - it was vaguely reminiscent of stonechat. The call continued on and off for 3 hours and at no time did I see the bird making the call as it called. The call did however appear to be tracking with a the movements of a very skulky Phyllosc-type.

Here is my clearest recording... any ideas? I feel I should know it.

Attachments

• MYSTERY1.wav
    336.9 KB · Views: 221
I only get about 2 seconds of play from the file Jane, is anyone else having problems downloading it?

Shane

The file above is only 2 seconds...(small so I could email it) this one is longer... but does'nt have the whittt durr... just the chip/tacks

Attachments

• mystery 2.wav
    2.8 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I can hear it - in fact its driving me bonkers, sounding familiar but can't clinch it. I thought maybe Spotted Flycatcher - the "wit" part sounds quite similar (though obviously not skulking in the bushes)

Dusky was one of my worries...

There were spott flys about - but this call was coming from ground level moving though dense bushes

Only the tack noises though - or did you find the witt durr too?

I noticed that in the song some of the clear notes could fit....with some imagination! I went through a few "calls" on xeno and some with song, can't remember which now Jane, sorry but they were on the first 2 pages. The tack noises are spookily similar indeed.

Only the tack noises though - or did you find the witt durr too?

The 'witt durr' call resembles part of a Barred Warbler's repertoire, but that bird usually takes no time to appear. However, I have been misled for a time by a Marsh Warbler imitating a Barred Warbler (in Slovakia) - the Marsh Warbler remained skulking for over 20 minutes, but until it appeared I was convinced the bird was a Barred Warbler!
MJB.

Last edited:
Magnus Robb just admitted defeat.

Not heard enough Barred Warblers to comment - but do have previous with a Barred W in the same patch. Never got more than a glimpse of it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back