• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with bird (1 Viewer)

remington351

Hello Everyone,

I hope you can help me. Since my wife and I moved to our home 4 years ago we had the joy of being visited by a pair of barn swallows, Hirundo rustica, every spring. They would nest in a hollow area under our mailbox. We named the pair Fred and Zuzanna and looked forward to their arrival each spring.

Sadly, I found Fred dead in the yard on Monday. My wife said she saw Fred in combat with some brown sparrows.

Zuzanna has remained in the nest and we've seen her flying around the yard. My concern is that Susanna has already mated with Fred and is expecting her chicks. I believe that Fred was primarily responsible for providing food to Zuzanna and the chicks and with him gone is there anything I can do to help Zuzanna get her chicks raised. Thanks.

Unfortunately, this does occur occasionally.

This happened to a male Bluebird last year and the mother, God bless her, took over the whole operation and the chicks fledged on time.

I would strongly suggest that you do not interfere. Barn swallows are aerial feeders which means that they pick off their food on the wing, So there is no way you are going to be able to provide this kind of meal for them.

BTW, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BF.

I don't think there is anything you can do. It takes both parents to raise a brood of Barn Swallow chicks, so with her mate dead it's likely that your female will eventually abandon the nest. The season is still relatively young, however, and with luck she will find another mate and start a new nest.

Thanks for the reply. It is sad that Fred is gone. I used to watch him swoop through the yard catching insects. Quite amazing. I don't intend on becoming too intrusive. I was just thinking that if there is a type of insect or insect based food that swallows have an affinity for, I was thinking of placing it at the entrance to her nest just to supplement her hunting.

Just a quick note for everyone that my female swallow was able to find a new mate and we now have a brood of 3 chicks! Hopefully the pair will continue to return each spring to this nest.

That is good news Remington. I'm sure you're now going to get hours of pleasure watching them.

I read with interest your post and the replies. I too have a barn swallow nesting in my carport. Unfortunately, her mate has not returned for a day& night and I am very worried for her. I too, was considering how I could help her. Maybe I could catch insects, keep them alive and somehow give them to her? I really feel sick at heart for her now I have read the dire info. regarding her brood(not yet hatched.)She is still sitting on her eggs but,I feel her watching for her mate and I am worried she is going hungry and thirsty. I there no good news in this regard?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back