• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Famous or celebrity birders. (1 Viewer)

lvn600

I've heard that Theodore Roosevelt and Jimmy Carter were birders. Can you name any other famous people who were or are birders?

devon.birder said:
Ken Clarke is always said to be a keen birdwatcher but has anyone ever seen him out birding?. Roger

There was a photo of him in one of the bird mags when he twitched the Cedar Waxwing a few years ago

Anybody ever see Eric Morecombe, Robert Dougall or Phil the Greek out birding (they're all quoted in Bill Oddie's LBBB as being famous birdwatchers!)

Once saw the beautiful American actress Daryll Hannah on a chat show a few years back mention the new Sibley guide when asked about her interest in Birding - think it might have been the Graham Norton show.
Way back in the early eighties there used to be a brilliant goalkeeper called George Wood who played for Everton, Arsenal and Scotland. I can remember reading a question and answer article in a kids football magazine at the time and in answer to " who in the world would you most like to meet" his reply was Desmond Nethersole-Thompson. Can also remember an article in a paper when he was picked for the scottish world cup squad for Spain in 1982 in which he said he was pleased to be going because of all the raptor species he might see. ( Guess a premiership player these days could just hire a Lear Jet for the weekend ! )
Perry.

Last edited:
Adey Baker said:
There was a photo of him in one of the bird mags when he twitched the Cedar Waxwing a few years ago

Doesn't he live in Nottingham?. I bet he wasn't running around those streets like all the other Birders were when I was there trying to find the flock of Waxwings which had always just flown off when you got there!!!. I think the only famous Birder I have ever seen is Bill Oddie in Dorset when he was still in The Goodies. Mind I did once see Harold Wilson on Scilly. Roger

Mike Hooper the ex liverpool Goalie

Elliott Morley (Labour MP) once sat next to Clive Byers on the way to the Pallas's Sandgrouse in 1990 and had his bins with him to see the bird

The band British Sea Power are keen birders too

Tim

Tim Allwood said:

Elliott Morley (Labour MP) once sat next to Clive Byers on the way to the Pallas's Sandgrouse in 1990 and had his bins with him to see the bird

Tim

I was going to mention Mike Hooper, Tim, but I thought nobody else would know who he was!!!. I remember reading an article by him in some magazine when he was still playing for Liverpool reserves. Roger

Ppedro said:
Once saw the beautiful American actress Daryll Hannah on a chat show a few years back mention the new Sibley guide when asked about her interest in Birding - think it might have been the Graham Norton show.
Way back in the early eighties there used to be a brilliant goalkeeper called George Wood who played for Everton, Arsenal and Scotland. I can remember reading a question and answer article in a kids football magazine at the time and in answer to " who in the world would you most like to meet" his reply was Desmond Nethersole-Thompson. Can also remember an article in a paper when he was picked for the scottish world cup squad for Spain in 1982 in which he said he was pleased to be going because of all the raptor species he might see. ( Guess a premiership player these days could just hire a Lear Jet for the weekend ! )
Perry.

Many moons ago I recieved a phonecall from a chap requesting some info on what birds frequented my local patch here in Mid-Glamorgan. The reason for the phonecall was to see if it was worthwhile him and his partner starting a bird-ringing programme at the site. I can't recall the chaps name but his partner was a certain scotsman named George Wood. Not being a soccer fan(rugby's my game)I didn't know him from Adam, but later found out that he was a famous goalkeeper. I believe that he was approaching the end of his footballing days at the time(c1990)and was playing for either Cardiff City or one of the amateur clubs in the area. Anyway, they did ring there for a few years though I never managed to bump into them.

Cheers
Dan

Tim Allwood said:

Tim

Hooper could be a member of the UK600 club but the fact that he played for Bristol City should forever destine him to be poked by small children with sharp sticks.

Oddly enough the Bristol Evening Posts Bristol City reporter Andy Stockhausen is a birder and a very nice man too, I met him on one of the first Scillionian trips....there's no Bristol Rovers birders (they're all too busy perfecting their trademark silky skills of course).

Gashead said:
Hooper could be a member of the UK600 club but the fact that he played for Bristol City should forever destine him to be poked by small children with sharp sticks.

Oddly enough the Bristol Evening Posts Bristol City reporter Andy Stockhausen is a birder and a very nice man too, I met him on one of the first Scillionian trips....there's no Bristol Rovers birders (they're all too busy perfecting their trademark silky skills of course).

I see that Lee has now overtaken Andy Stockhausen in the Surfbirds 205 Year List. Andy has seen 322 and Lee 324. Roger

I've seen mention that Jarvis Cocker and Damon Albarn are or were both birders, although I reckon this could be pretty tenuous e.g. they were once members of the YOC for three weeks when they were 10 sort of thing.

I'd forgotten that Mike Hooper was a birder. If a professional footballer was going to be a birder it would have to be a goalkeeper. Anything else is just inconceivable.

Adey Baker said:
Anybody ever see Eric Morecombe, Robert Dougall or Phil the Greek out birding (they're all quoted in Bill Oddie's LBBB as being famous birdwatchers!)

There's an Eric Morcambe Hide near Leighton Moss RSPB reserve in NW England because of his interest, and I seem to remember that he and Wise once did a birdwatching sketch on a TV programme.

Andrew Whitehouse said:
I've seen mention that Jarvis Cocker and Damon Albarn are or were both birders, although I reckon this could be pretty tenuous e.g. they were once members of the YOC for three weeks when they were 10 sort of thing.QUOTE]

Actually I read an interview a year or so back (I think I even posted a thread)where Jarvis was talking abot enjoying doing some birdwatching - it seemed like it was something he'd picked up recently.

Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back