• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS 5D Mark II (1 Viewer)

I think it depends on the main usage John - the 7D would be considered more of a birding camera because of the FPS, Crop factor and AF options whereas the 5D2 is better suited to non telephoto type work. There are those that use a 5D2 for birding but they appear thin on the ground. Just my 2p's worth.

I have not used both, but the 5DII is worth the extra because my photography is not confined to birds and wildlife. If it was, the 7D seems perfect.

I have used both cameras and find the 7D images cannot touch the 5D mkII. 5D mkII images are much finer with less noise as you would expect with a full frame sensor. It shouldn't be assumed either that the so called "extra reach" of the 7D cropped sensor will help image quality. This has been explained many times before so I'll not go there. I'm currently waiting delivery of a 1D MkIV to replace my MkIII so I have been using my 5D mkII with a 500mm lens and converters for bird photography. Need to crop a little bit more for the distant birds but there are more pixels anyway and much prefer the images to any I got with the 7D.
The only problem with the 5D mkII is the slow focussing speed. As a consequence birds in flight is a bit of a nightmare. When I tried the 7D I was amazed how quick and accurate the focussing was so I'm looking forward to the mkIV which has the same focussing mechanism.
Of course, the 5D's full frame sensor will be much better for landscape and macro work.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back