• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Converter 1.4x (1 Viewer)

jeff

Looking to buy a x1.4 converter.

Advice, is it worth paying twice the price for the

Canon 1.4x II Extender (£280)

compared to the

Kenko Teleplus DGX 1.4X MC4 (£120)

Is the Canon really that much better?

Cheers

Jeff

In my humble opinion the Canon is not worth the extra. But I dare say that somebody else will come to your thread and tell you it is.

If buying new then maybe not but you can easily pick up s/h ones for around the £190 mark. Look in the for sale section or put on a wanted thread to see if anyone is looking to offload one.

another thing ot take into account is the canon is weather sealed .
Also many lenses do not fit on the canon tc as a bit sticks out . but i think the Kenco takes them All if this matters please check .
Rob.

Many thanks for the info, i might take a punt on the cheaper kenko model, i dont really shoot in the rain so weather seal not a problem.

I have tried the canon 1.4 with my lens and know if fits, but nice to know the kenko fits all.

Cheers

Jeff

Just be warned that my Kenko 1.4x tc sometimes sends the IS crazy but my Canon 1.4x doesn't... others haven't had this issue but I thought it was worth pointing out.

Yes, particularly if you are using a non-1D series body and are planning to tape the pins to enable autofocus. TBH I still stand by my earlier recommendation to look for a s/h Canon.

I have the Canon 1.4x TC but I got it cheap(-er) from the US. Certainly very happy with mine.

There is plenty of positive feedback on the Kenko TC on the Canon forum but from memory I think there are two versions around? One of which is much superior and, some people appear to rate it at least as good as the Canon TC.

After a quick squiz on warehouse express, I think the 'good' Kenko is the Pro300 (190quid) vs the Canon (290quid), with the basic Kenko being the MC4 (120quid).

I'm always unsure of these websites, got stung once before when i bought my camera. Have you used this website before or will they go into liquidisation as soon as i part with my money like last time?

I've recently bought the Kenko converter from them.

I'm also wary of where I buy, but Onestop-Digital has been praised a lot on Birdforum so I went ahead with it and was very pleased with the purchase.

You can pay by paypal (or other ways), they send it airmail, let you know by email when it has been dispatched and the package needs signing for on arrival. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

I have the same stabilisation craziness with a Kenko pro and a 300mm f4 IS lens as Postcard. Upon that the Kenko pro are very good, close or equal the canon one.

I use a Sigma 1.4 EX converter with no problems on a 100-400IS lens and either a 20D or 40D. With IS switched on I am able to manually focus without any trouble hand-held. If using the combo on a tripod I switch off the IS of course. Image quality is very good.

Mike

I use a Kenko 1.4X with my 100-400. Apart from the obvious difficulties with AF on a non 1 series body I do not have any issues with IS. However, since the AF is a bit suspect I prefer to use the camera on a tripod and focus using Live View.

To be honest, I don't use the teleconverter often, since with a lens that is already slow at f/5.6 it doesn't always pay to lose another stop of light, and if you were to stop down further to improve lens IQ you would then make diffraction even more of an issue. Now, if you were starting out with a nice 500/4L to begin with I can see greater value from adding the teleconverter if you want more reach.

Here is a shot with my 50D, Kenko 1.4X and 100-400 at 560mm and f/8 (wide open). Also a 100% crop. At f/8, according to those that have done the maths, diffraction softening will just be beginning to have a visible effect. The halation you may notice to the left of the bird is a problem I see without the teleconverter as well, and is only an issue when shooting bright/contrasty subjects and magnifying for 100% viewing.

EDIT : I've added a couple of shots from my 1D3 that were hand held and used AF with the 560mm combo. The chopper was shot at 1/80. Thank heaven for IS :)

Attachments

• 20090823_110912_2481_DPP_full.JPG
    20090823_110912_2481_DPP_full.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 20090823_110912_2481_DPP_crop.JPG
    20090823_110912_2481_DPP_crop.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 20090702_095114_8681_LR.jpg
    20090702_095114_8681_LR.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 20090808_105220_0149_LR.jpg
    20090808_105220_0149_LR.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I had the Canon 1.4x TC Mk II and have the Kenko 1.4x TC Pro300 and use Canon 100-400mm and SigmOS 150-500mm (preferred). Equal quality, binned the Canon TC. 'Nuff said

The halation you may notice to the left of the bird is a problem I see without the teleconverter as well, and is only an issue when shooting bright/contrasty subjects and magnifying for 100% viewing.

Call me Mr Nitpicky if you like, but i always thought halation ( derived from the halides in the film emulsion ) was an effect you only got from film, not digital sensors. The same effect on a digital camera is usually from lens flare, chromatic abberation, sensor "bloom", filters, or sensor cover glass.

By the way, i love your explanations you post on here for people, so im not knocking you in the slightest.

Well, whatever the correct term is, it is an attribute of my lens, and rarely an issue except in situations of extreme local contrast and when pixel peeping. I don't know why it is visible to the left, but not the right. I don't use a filter on the lens and the "feature" is present with or without the teleconverter, and it also affects more than one camera, so I think whatever it should be called, it is something to do with my lens. The point is, I don't want people thinking that the teleconverter is to blame, especially as this is a "teleconverter" thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back