• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon 40d (1 Viewer)

foxydave

cant beleive my luck had a problem with my 40d battery flashed as if low but wasnt ,freind suggest up date the firmware which he did for me then err06 self cleaning sensor unit malfunction.was this caused by the up date. :C

I have six EOS cameras, including a 40D, and I've flashed the firmware on all of them at least once, sometimes more than once. I have never had problems following an upgrade. If there was a systemic problem with such upgrades I think Canon would have a lot of trouble to deal with. I am unaware of any such problems, and I'm sure if there were, the forums would be rife with the outcries. So I'm afraid I'm going to have to say that your new problem is alsmost certainly nothing to do with the update.

If you are concerned, it should be possible to install an earlier firmware release, if you can get your hands on one. I guess you could try reflashing as well. It is not a difficult process. Just follow Canon's instructions on the firmware download site - http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos40d/eos40d-firmware-e.html. Unfortunately the instructions are more unwieldy than they need to be, but if you follow them carefully you should be fine.

Good luck.

EDIT : I just read the release notes for the latest firmware - V1.1.1. Here is what it is supposed to fix....

1. Fixes a malfunction that in rare occurrence causes a low battery indication to be displayed when using the EF 85mm F1.2L II USM lens. Depending on the battery check timing of the camera, the battery level displayed on the camera's LCD data panel may shows Battery will be exhausted soon or Battery must be recharged, even though the battery capacity is sufficient.
    This phenomenon may occur only when using the EF 85mm F1.2L II USM lens in combination with the EOS 40D and does not occur with other cameras and lenses.
  2. Fixes a malfunction that in rare occurrence causes an Err 06 Self Cleaning Sensor malfunction to appear on the camera's LCD monitor and LCD data panel, even when the Self Cleaning Sensor Unit is operating normally. This message may appear depending on the timing of when the camera is switch to the ON position.
  3. Fixes a malfunction that prevents correct colors from being printed when direct printing. RAW images captured using the camera's custom Picture Styles (Emerald, etc.), which have been downloaded from Canon's Web site and registered under User Def. 2 or User Def. 3.
    The raw image data captured under the above conditions does not have any problems. This phenomenon only occurs during direct printing.
  4. Modifies the level of subject brightness that causes the AF-assist beam to fire when using an external Speedlite.
    The AF-assist beam of the external Speedlite fires even when the brightness of external light does not require it.
  5. Enables an external flash connected to the camera's synchro terminal to fire even when the camera's built-in flash is popped up.
It seems quite ironic that a firmware designed to remedy the error you mention would actually be the cause of it. Is the camera now on firmware 1.1.1?

Last edited:
canon40d

hi Tim ,i have just checked thats one my freind put on .looks like another repair job cheers for you help.regards dave

You might try the "complete reset" trick, by taking out the main battery and the little date/time backup battery for at least 30 minutes. I don't know whether it will do any good but some people feel that problems are sometimes resolved by "rebooting" the camera. It's a long shot but worth a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back