• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (18 Viewers)

Thanks all for the info. on fungi - lots of good sites for next year. It sounds like I may be a bit late, but it also sounds like there might be a bit more to have a go at this weekend the way things are shaping up on the coast.

One in the net in old fall this morning, was a suprise for Ian the ringer, The first Long eared he has ringed too,

Long-earedOwl004.jpg

Looks like it was a bit of a shock for the owl as well Andy judging from that photo!

Spurn Today

Nice day at spurn today. saw most of the decent birds around apart from the richards pipit. Quite a lot of owls (mostly short eared)about.
Lots of common birds as well including redwing, fieldfare, and goldcrest.
more photos and a full account on the blog.

Attachments

• untitled-12.jpg
    untitled-12.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 124
  • untitled-7.jpg
    untitled-7.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 116
  • untitled-8.jpg
    untitled-8.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 131
  • untitled-4.jpg
    untitled-4.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 94
  • untitled-11.jpg
    untitled-11.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 87
Nice day at spurn today. saw most of the decent birds around apart from the richards pipit. Quite a lot of owls (mostly short eared)about.
Lots of common birds as well including redwing, fieldfare, and goldcrest.
more photos and a full account on the blog.

Cracking Jack Snipe pic there Martin. The Canal scrape hide has to be the best in the country for photo opportunities.

Dave.

Wildlife Crime

The true story on my blog about a wildlife crime witnessed earlier this week relates to mammals, but the same thing applies to birds. I'm bringing it to your attention in case you aren't aware of what to do if you witness a wildlife crime against birds. To ensure the culprits are caught & prosecuted ring 999 rather than your local police station. Apparently, action will be taken & the police helicopter scrambled, if it's appropriate!

The true story on my blog about a wildlife crime witnessed earlier this week relates to mammals, but the same thing applies to birds. I'm bringing it to your attention in case you aren't aware of what to do if you witness a wildlife crime against birds. To ensure the culprits are caught & prosecuted ring 999 rather than your local police station. Apparently, action will be taken & the police helicopter scrambled, if it's appropriate!

Nice to see they responded so quickly just hope the resulting punishment in court is fitting,the police must get fed up when the criminals get off with a lightweight punishment.

Happens quite a lot apparently. One of the farmers local to us has called the Police several times this year. Turns out they come from miles to 'exercise the dogs' - south yorks, cleveland etc. Madness.

Amazing in this day and age of technology and bird info. being shared etc. that news from Filey yesterday only appeared today - GG Shrike, 6 Yellow-browed 's etc. - surely could have come out yesterday somehow.

It's not St. Kilda!

Amazing in this day and age of technology and bird info. being shared etc. that news from Filey yesterday only appeared today - GG Shrike, 6 Yellow-browed 's etc. - surely could have come out yesterday somehow.

It's not St. Kilda!

That seems a bit harsh. Not many have pagers, mobile alerts and so on. I agree it is a bit surprising given the leap in technology. Light years from ringing Nancy's on a Friday...

It's not St. Kilda!

Especially when you look at the Yorkshire Birders Facebook page where stuff is uploaded on the fly.
Andy Hood over at Flamborough is sh.. hot at putting stuff out on there, as is Pete Mella in Sheffield.
Plus there's also Ken's twitter feed @yorkshirebirds which is in it's infancy but is available for people to post on.

Flamborough

A Hawfinch was found on the south side of thornwick camp this afternoon, hopping about on the ground with a couple of Redwing & Song Thrush, my first Flamborough & Yorkshire one too :t:, Couple of Yellow browed at south landing, and one in old fall, Pied Fly reported in old fall too, Heard and briefly saw a Firecrest in the gorse hedge south of head farm,

Spurn and Flamborough

Definitely gone quiet over the last couple of days. Spurn was pretty quiet this morning-jack snipe from canal scrape, scaup and common scoter on the borrow pit, wheatear on the road and black redstart at the point were about the best of it for me.
had a ride up to Flamborough in the afternoon for the RFB but no no avail. yellow browed warbler at south landing car park gave some consolation.
Full account on the blog.

Attachments

• untitled-10.jpg
    untitled-10.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 89
  • untitled-7.jpg
    untitled-7.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 87
  • untitled-8.jpg
    untitled-8.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 82
  • untitled-11.jpg
    untitled-11.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 80
  • untitled-13.jpg
    untitled-13.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 79
Caught up with this Glossy Ibis at RSPB Saltholme today on the the new scrape on the Fire Station Field. Anyone who saw the Hornsea Mere bird think thatv this might be the same one?

Glossy Ibis, RSPB Saltholme by JR Studio, on Flickr

Also 4 Snow Geese, Merlin, Grey Plover, Hen Harrier etc. and got to catch up with the Lesser Scaup in Marden Quarry, Whitley Bay this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back