• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do ducks have teeth? (1 Viewer)

Charlie600

Shutter Bug
I had the opportunity to photograph Long-tailed Ducks last weekend and quite a few of the shots I took showed what appeared to be well defined tooth like structures. I spent a lot of time this week on the web trying to educate myself. I found a number of references to lamellae - hair like structures and Pecten - comb like structures. Function was related to preening and filtering food. The information I found was rather sketchy and vague and I am still having a hard time getting my head around this observation. The "teeth" on these birds don't look like they would be much use for filtering. If I am correct, these birds include eels and fish in their diet. It seems that the structure would function more for gripping than filtering. I would appreciate comments and references to information. It would be really interesting to hear from someone who has actually handled one of these ducks. Are the lamellae as sharp and as hard as they look in the photo?

Attachments

• 097F100116E1119-2.jpg
    097F100116E1119-2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3,510
No not teeth but the inside of their bills has severed edges to grab bugs and underwater weed in the water. Would be nice to see a wide grin from them though ;)

No duck has “true teeth”, of course, though some have specialized adaptations for filtering (e.g., shovelers) or for the gripping of large slippery prey (e.g., mergansers). I just looked up LT Duck on BNA-online, but found no reference to “lamellae” or “teeth” except a bare mention of the former in connection with the bill of the duckling. According to BNA, LT Ducks have a varied diet including small prey of various kinds as well as fish & mollusks, so either of the suggested functions—filtering or gripping—would seem to be a possibility.

Anyway, very interesting photo. Thanks for posting it. With luck someone will come along with definite information about the function of the “teeth”.

Last edited:
Here's a shot of a Goosander (common merganser) I got last year. Shame its not quite in focus but you can see why they're called sawbils.

Lewis

Attachments

• 168-goosander.jpg
    168-goosander.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 4,583
I had the opportunity to photograph Long-tailed Ducks last weekend and quite a few of the shots I took showed what appeared to be well defined tooth like structures. I spent a lot of time this week on the web trying to educate myself. I found a number of references to lamellae - hair like structures and Pecten - comb like structures. Function was related to preening and filtering food. The information I found was rather sketchy and vague and I am still having a hard time getting my head around this observation. The "teeth" on these birds don't look like they would be much use for filtering. If I am correct, these birds include eels and fish in their diet. It seems that the structure would function more for gripping than filtering. I would appreciate comments and references to information. It would be really interesting to hear from someone who has actually handled one of these ducks. Are the lamellae as sharp and as hard as they look in the photo?

I think not only duck all are birds have the same type of teeth just for gripping that filtering.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back