• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A sunbird in Singapore (1 Viewer)

DarrenLi

I spotted this sunbird in Singapore zoo on Sept.30, Could you help identify it? Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    503.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    453.5 KB · Views: 87
Possibly a Crimson Sunbird - female? Sorry, haven't looked at S'pore list, but looks somewhat like this one.

PS Purple-throated would be another southerly species with plain markings, but I think it seems like it has a lighter breast than the picture posted here.

Last edited:
Thank you Gretchen, it also looks like a Crimson Sunbird to me.

Here is a list of sunbirds of S'pore from wikipedia, both Purple-throated and Crimson are "Common".

Crimson sunbird (Aethopyga siparaja) - C/RB - parks, forests
Brown-throated sunbird (Anthreptes malacensis) - C/RB - parks
Plain sunbird (Anthreptes simplex) - VR/R - CCNR
Olive-backed sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis) - C/RB - parks
Copper-throated sunbird (Leptocoma calcostetha) - U/RB - BBNP, SBWR, P. Ubin
Purple-throated sunbird (Leptocoma sperata) - C/RB - BBNP, BTNR, CCNR, P. Ubin
Yellow-eared spiderhunter (Arachnothera chrysogenys) - VR/R - BTNR, CCNR, P. Tekong, P. Ubin
Thick-billed spiderhunter (Arachnothera crassirostris) - VR/R - BTNR, CCNR
Little spiderhunter (Arachnothera longirostra) - U/RB - BTNR, CCNR, P. Ubin

Darren,

It would be good to get another person's view on this as I'm not any kind of expert and these female sunbirds are a bit tricky for me.

By the way, I forgot to say earlier: welcome to the forum! Nice to have you posting.

It looks like the Olive-backed Sunbird, female. It is pretty common in Singapore.

Agree. Purple-throated (Van Hasselt's) most common on Ubin and not the zoo! Crimson common there but don't see this being one. All females tricky...

This cannot be a female Olive-backed Sunbird, which has a clear demarcation between the olive upperparts and yellow underparts.

The overall dark colour and sign of dark malar stripe puts this as female Crimson Sunbird, not Purple-backed Sunbird.

Definitely not an Olive-backed. The Olive-backed, aka Yellow-bellied Sunbird, has a very yellow belly. Cannot see much yellow on this bird's belly.

Should be a female Crimson.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back