• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finches. (1 Viewer)

Mutter

Happy new year one and all,

Well my quest to attract finches into the garden continues unabated but still with limited success! |:S|

After my initial joy at having seen a goldfinch and a greenfinch, their pals have yet to be convinced by my gourmet on the go.

Considering so many of you go on about your 15-20 goldies and your 10 or more greenies I shall go on about my one goldie and one greenie!

What a sheer delight it was to see a huge, clamoring, flock of 1 goldfinch on my nyjer seeds the other morning whilst sitting having my cup of coffee. This moment of joy was only surpassed by the sheer, breathtaking brilliance as a vast, swirling, flock of greenfinches descended into the myriad of feeders I have carefully set up. Did I say "vast"? Sorry I meant one. It must have spent hours, sorry seconds on the sunflower hearts. I daren't even tell you what a thrill I got as a female chaffinch landed in next doors garden - and he doesn't even feed the birds!!!

There you go. Now tell me how jealous all you finch hoggers are now eh!! Go on beat that and I'll tell you all about the 30+ sparrows, 5+ blue tits, 6+great tits, GSW, grey heron and the odd Ivory billed woodpecker I get each day in Herts.

Andy

ps think I should have taken it easier on new years eve!

Last edited:
Hi Andy.

What a good post. A laugh is just what was wanted on a dull, damp afternoon. Keep at it my friend; you'll be getting your ' literal ' flocks before too long. You certainly deserve them for the way that you played up your bird deficiency.
Hope your birding year is a good one.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi andy,

Birdwise, my garden is rather empty, most common are now the blackbirds, who had a territorial dispute this morning. I do however, live next to the largest country park in Wrexham, and there is always natural food there.

ANT

Thanks for the laugh Andy. It's been my first day back at work, so I was a bit sad (I like my time off!!!). That was just the tonic I needed.

I feel I must join in your celebrations as I too only get 1 goldfinch and he/she seems only to stop for a short time to tease me and then is gone for weeks or even months. I do have about 4 greenies however, so I can't complain too much. (when would that ever stop me?)

I did think that maybe I had more than my fair share of chaffies - up to 70+ but then I read in a garden mag of all places that there are about 5.5 million of them in the UK so maybe I don't have them all eh!

Keep at it, they'll find you eventually. I used to get fed up with only sparrows when I was in Bristol but there were loads of different birds visiting in the end.
Chin up!!!

:t: :t:

HI Andy.A happy new year to you too.Now ,if you have another couple of drinks,you might see twice as many finches.I've had just one goldie for a few seconds this morning.Realise that birds,football matches and women all look better through the bottom of a glass.Sorry ladies.You know I'm only joking.I love you all really.

maurice

Hi Andy,

Here you are mate, just keep putting out the Sunflower kernels and this could happen to you too! 10 of them quarrelling over 6 feeding ports.

This was taken back in October but it's just the same now but without leaves.

Cheers, Bill

Attachments

• DS greenfinch 10 on feeder 2.jpg
    DS greenfinch 10 on feeder 2.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Happy New Year Andy,Really funny post. :clap:

Well I am back to work now and it's dark when I leave and dark when I get home, so I am seeing absolutely nothing.

Roll on Sunday. B :)

Not to worry, if it wasn't for the diversity of birds around the country, we wouldn't have these wonderful posts to read and that wonderful feeling of bragging we get when a new arrival visits. If we all had the same birds in the same numbers, these discussions boards would be very limited.

I, for example, am consumed with a fuming envy at the birders who get jays, wrens and chaffinches (the earlier post by Cathy had my blood pressure peaking when I read 70+ chaffinches...how greedy of her). lol

But I am very happy with my 10+ goldies, 10-15 greenies and recently, redpolls. But I'm not bragging...well, not a lot anyway! Ok, I am. Or is it gloating...Yes, I think it's gloating. :bounce:

Love and regards
Moogie

Hi Moogie,

I'd love to send you some of the chaffies. I only get an odd goldie and no nuthatches or redpolls, so you see as you say it's swings and roundabouts.

My family keep complaining that the birds are better fed than they are - yeah right, they look so hard done by!!!

My philosophy is, keep on trucking, you never know what will turn up next.

BTW keep taking the tablets (for the blood pressure)

Cheers, B :)

mutleymacclad said:
Happy new year one and all,

Well my quest to attract finches into the garden continues unabated but still with limited success! |:S|

After my initial joy at having seen a goldfinch and a greenfinch, their pals have yet to be convinced by my gourmet on the go.

Considering so many of you go on about your 15-20 goldies and your 10 or more greenies I shall go on about my one goldie and one greenie!

What a sheer delight it was to see a huge, clamoring, flock of 1 goldfinch on my nyjer seeds the other morning whilst sitting having my cup of coffee. This moment of joy was only surpassed by the sheer, breathtaking brilliance as a vast, swirling, flock of greenfinches descended into the myriad of feeders I have carefully set up. Did I say "vast"? Sorry I meant one. It must have spent hours, sorry seconds on the sunflower hearts. I daren't even tell you what a thrill I got as a female chaffinch landed in next doors garden - and he doesn't even feed the birds!!!

There you go. Now tell me how jealous all you finch hoggers are now eh!! Go on beat that and I'll tell you all about the 30+ sparrows, 5+ blue tits, 6+great tits, GSW, grey heron and the odd Ivory billed woodpecker I get each day in Hemel Hempstead.

Andy

ps think I should have taken it easier on new years eve!

Hi Andy...

What a lovely post...Thankyou so much...and I am flippin jealous, cos you have got one more Goldfinch than me! I hope you attract lots more of them to your garden....

Happy New Year...Lynne

Last edited:
Great fun reading your post, Andy. Brightens up these dreary days.
And as Silver Lady says, you're lucky to have one Goldie. I do have a few myself, but not in the mega numbers some do. As for the Greenies, I don't know what they're up to. Last year I had an average of 15 munching away all day, and often up to 30. I nicknamed them Greedyfinches as they were eating me out of house and home! However, the last few months have yielded very few. I get one or two a day, and they're slow to arrive. I'd probably miss them if I dashed out to work as I did in the bad old days. And if you saw my birthday review post, you'll see how it just goes to show what nips in when we're not looking.
I bet your garden is just like the Kit Kat advert (I think it was that choccy?). You know, the one where as soon as the man's back is turned, all hell breaks loose and the animals dance etc. Picture that while you're at work! :-O

Hi everyone

It's fun reading all your posts. As has been said they probably pitch up in droves whilst I'm at work. I think it was the Kit Kat advert Renee.

The visitors this weekend will be observed very closely, I'm also going to build a couple of nest boxes and try to make a bird table of some description to replace my old one.

I shall keep you informed.

That photo is great Bill - I really like the bird you've captured in flight trying to get onto the bottom feeder port.

andy

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back