• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

metal ring reference material (1 Viewer)

Lee C

Hi

Following on from my recent posting of a metal ringed Ringed Plover I wanted to broaden the topic in general.

Metal ring reads are not easy. I have lots of experience and familiar with British rings and to some extent Dutch, Belgian & French.

But what I thought would be useful for me & guess for many others with a similar passion would be to amass a collection of pictures, preferably from every ringing scheme in Europe. Larger non passerine rings would be the ideal preference and would prove an invaluable catalogue. Maybe such a website exists? If there is would love to know about it.

British rings have the unique code at the bottom of the ring, many countries likewise, but other schemes have the unique code at the top of the ring and therefore having a full collection of ring styles from every country in Europe would prove an invaluable help for me.

I eagerly look forward to many postings from either ringers or others with good quality images of known rings.

Lee

Lee,

There is indeed such a website at GBPW Kuling:
Go to http://www.kuling.org.pl/ring2/index.html and click on the link
Metalowej obrączki

One or two ringing schemes put pics of their rings on their web pages and
I wish more would do so. It is really helpful to be able to compare digital
images of a ring seen in the field with the precise layout of an example of
a ring from that scheme and ring size. Especially as designs, layout and
addresses in use change regularly.

The Ringed Plover ring you saw with the serial above the address was
probably made by Mekaniska who supply many European schemes, but
I'm afraid that doesn't help you much.

With best regards (and thanks for those rings of mine that you have read
over the years),

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back