• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon's 100th Anniversary binoculars officially announced (1 Viewer)

There's a good conversation underway in Cloudy Nights as well about the Nikon WX binoculars. One of the guys has managed to to review both

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/580233-nikon-wx-testing/page-7#entry7945858

These would definitely be mounted on a parallelogram for extended use.

I personally wouldn't buy these but can see the appeal of a wide field (9* TFOV and 76* AFOV) instrument with a flat field edge to edge.

Milky Way gazing would be awesome.

To me these binoculars are more about what a top tier manufacturer can really achieve if set to it.

cheers
Jeelan

Thanks Jeelan.
I read the review.

So what do I choose?

Nikon WX, maybe.
Dacia Sandero, no.
Suzuki Swift, maybe.
Questar.
Zeiss 20x60S.
Sony Alpha 9 and lens. Most attractive to me, although digital cameras depreciate steadily. Nikon WX wouldn't.

Thermal imaging camera of real use, helicopter, and E type Jag way more expensive.

Last edited:
Actually, going by other Nikon special edition collectables such as their rangefinder cameras with multicoated lenses, I expect the value of the Nikon WX to go down to 2/3 of present pricing.
This depends on how many are made.
I doubt that they will keep up with inflation and I don't think that they are an investment.
They are to be used.

Some rare Nikons do fetch high prices, such as £100,000 for the 220 deg 6mm? fisheye lens and some very rare cameras. These are not special editions.

What I want is the Minolta Standard EWA Porroprism binoculars with the same glass but fully multicoated with the addition of a 6x30 EWA, 6x24 EWA and 12x50 EWA.
Kronos, to the Russians credit, did try to make from 6x30 to 10x50, which I have, but they are poorly made mechanically.

A 6x24 Trinovid copy fully multicoated would also be appreciated. Even an Amplivid, but they seem to be more fragile.

It is all very well making a showpiece binocular. What is wanted is somewhat lesser binoculars at fair prices that actually do something that present day binoculars don't.
A Nikon Super Aculon fully multicoated range would suit me fine. Not expensive, but really wide field and usable for those who don't need glasses. If they can be made with extra eye relief that is fine but I don't need it and in fact many binoculars have far too much eye relief for me creating blackouts and problems.

Last edited:
I can see this on the balcony of a beach front condo on a tripod overlooking the water,
or attached to a CouchPotato like chair for astronomy.
My issue is that it is only 7 or10x50, too heavy to handhold, too small for tripod astronomy.

My hope is larger models for astronomy, and cheaper clones down the line.

edj

The Amateur Photographer for next Tuesday in the bookshops, is devoted to Nikon's 100th birthday.

The point is made that Nikon started out as a rangefinder and binocular maker for the Navy.

Does anyone know how these compare with the Swarovski habicht 8x30. Seems comparable in style and price.
I currently have 8x32 SE and curious how they compare in clarity and brightness?

Any advice would be appreciated.

The Swarovski Habicht 8x30 is significantly brighter and also a bit sharper than the Nikon 8x30 EII. The focussing wheel on the Habicht is a little bit too stiff for my taste, but that's the price one have to pay cause of the waterproofness. BUT the Nikon only costs 2/3 or sometimes even 1/2 of the Swarovski and that's a real bargain IMHO.

Much prefer the Nikon to the Habicht. Not only is it cheaper, but the eye relief is better and the eye cups much less stiff. The Nikon has a wider field of view. I could not discern a difference in the sharpness, although it tapers at the edges, . The main advantage of the Habicht, is that it is waterproof and the name! I suspect that like all binoculars, you need to try them to see which suits.

Hi,

I also preferred my E2 8x30 to the two Habicht 8x30 examples I tried - my main gripe with the Habicht was the glare and reflection problems which were quite apparent on both occasions. If you want the bins with the highest transmission, Habicht it is, but the E2 or SE are better all around.

I can't directly compare E2 and SE in 8x30 since my SE is 10x42 and I haven't encountered s.b. with an SE 8x32 yet... but let's say the SE is a tad sharper and of course has a flat field (and more ER which I don't need) while the E2 impresses with its super wide field.

Joachim

Last edited:
Does anyone know how these compare with the Swarovski habicht 8x30. Seems comparable in style and price.
I currently have 8x32 SE and curious how they compare in clarity and brightness?

Any advice would be appreciated.
It's about overall observable quality. I tested the Habicht and would never surrender my 8X32 SE in its favor. Glare, low eye relief and a stiff focus do not suit me in a birding binocular.

The bad thing about the SE is it's not fully waterproof.
The good thing about the SE not being waterproof is you can justify the purchase of a second alpha class binocular!

I do think these special edition EII's are quite a beautiful thing. Tradition and quality all parcelled up in a nice package which puts much of the modern day roofs to shame. What's not to like.
When it comes to Porros Nikon do reign supreme.
Overpriced......you get what you pay for.

I do think these special edition EII's are quite a beautiful thing. Tradition and quality all parcelled up in a nice package which puts much of the modern day roofs to shame. What's not to like.
When it comes to Porros Nikon do reign supreme.
Overpriced......you get what you pay for.
List is $799.
You can get one without the logo for $519 on AMZN. They should have done this with 8X32 SE but what do I know.

List is $799.
You can get one without the logo for $519 on AMZN. They should have done this with 8X32 SE but what do I know.

They would have had to set up the re-tooling for the retired SEs for only 400 of them. Easier to just put a logo on the E IIs.

I suppose some bright spark will make and add fake logos to some EIIs.

Reminds me of 'Catch me if you Can' and soaking model aircraft in the bath to get the logos.

Nikon Begins Accepting Orders For Nikon 100th Anniversary Products

June 15, 2017

Information from the 100th Year Anniversary Site says that: Orders will be accepted through August 31, 2017. (Except for the binoculars.)

"*100th Anniversary binoculars will be sold until June 2018. However, should the number of orders exceed the planned quantity before that time, they will no longer be available."

http://www.nikon.com/news/2017/0615_anniversary_01.htm

Scroll down to the binoculars.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back