• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The eBird/Clements Checklist v2017 (1 Viewer)

As someone who has never looked at Clements at all, can people tell me if it's considered to be conservative or liberal in splitting terms?

For those that do keep abreast of more than one list, which gives you the biggest numbers for your life list, IOC, Clements A.N Other?

I'm not thinking of jumping ship, just curious.

A

Clements/Cornell/eBird is currently the one with the lowest overall number of species.
I keep a Clements worldlist from when I was an ABA member and had to use Clements as the reference list. I still prefer it to be honest but using IOC gives me about 70 extra species, quite a lot when my world list is still a bit below 5000. Using Birdlife/HBW I would probably have passed 5000 by now.

Steve

Clements/Cornell/eBird is currently the one with the lowest overall number of species.
I keep a Clements worldlist from when I was an ABA member and had to use Clements as the reference list. I still prefer it to be honest but using IOC gives me about 70 extra species, quite a lot when my world list is still a bit below 5000. Using Birdlife/HBW I would probably have passed 5000 by now.

Steve

Cheers, Steve,
I started my list using the Mick Wells hardcover book years ago, don't know why, perhaps I was less internet savvy back then and there were fewer online lists available.

No idea why I chose the IOC, I think that it was probably just becoming known and I knew more people were using it so I did too.

Got to admire those who manage to keep across all the various lists, I couldn't do it!

A

If I recall correctly, eBird/Clements announced that it is their goal to recognize all the same species/subspecies taxa as IOC, with the only differences being whether some are ranked as species or subspecies. This would make it straightforward to automate switching one's lists between the two.

But at the present time there are a number of cases where that goal has not been met yet. For example:

If you were in the Mentawai Islands (near Sumatra) and you saw a drongo, then Clements would call that Dicrurus hottentottus viridinitens and you would have seen Hair-crested Drongo Dicrurus hottentottus. However IOC would call that Dicrurus sumatranus viridinitens and you would have seen Sumatran Drongo Dicrurus sumatranus.

That's just one case which I just ran into (not that I was in the Mentawai Islands!) and I'm sure there are many more. And it's not unknown for the taxonomy managers to move subspecies from one species to another, which can also mess you up. Although eBird can often help with that because it has enough information in many cases to move your sighting to the new species.

The ebird groups have also defined a Sharpshinned Hawk Madrean group from western Mexico including Oaxaca. I do not believe I have field notes for a bird I saw in Monte Alban in January many years ago, so the only way to get forward is to ask: Does the northern/migratory populations of Sharpshinned reach this far down in Mexico? I assume yes, but does anyone know?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back