• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 500mm F4 (1 Viewer)

Telephoto Paul

Sigma have announced a 500mm f4 due for releases Oct/Nov. RRP is $6k so about 2/3rd of Canikon equivalents. Given they seem to have raised their optics game lately, it'll be interesting to see how it performs. Autofocus performance (esp. consistency) and weight (Canon did a very good job last time around) will I think be the challenge.

I think the last iteration of the 500 4.5 priced itself out of the market. $5k USD for f4.5 is really pushing it. I own that lens, but the pre DG version. I picked it up used last year, so for me the price I paid was well worth the performance. Back to topic, only $1k more for a full f4, plus OS...not bad. I have high hopes for this proper 500. I won't be upgrading because I have way too many financial commitments these days. But I quietly always route for Siggy. Nice to see this is FINALLY here.

Proper 500mm f4, $6K, 380mm long, 3310grams, hmmmm ..... :cat:

Close enough weight wise, yet not as expensive as the CaNikons, to be a consideration ??? Wonder if the iq and AF will be comparable ?? ....... :brains:

Chosun :gh:

I've always felt the Canon 500mm was priced well out of my reach and not a justifiable expense. Although this is still expensive it could be in reach and once second hand copies start coming onto the market, who knows.

If the 500 f4.5 is anything to go by, then this one shouldn't be far of the Canon/Nikon equivalents in quality.

Nikon version has the electro magnetic shutter,

Aperture, shutters are in mostly found in camera bodies .......

What it will offer, that non of the other big name primes has to offer is the USB-port to fine-tune lens performance to a camera body and shooting scenario, and to update firmware without sending gear in for service.

Park Cameras have a Nikon-mount copy in stock and for sale. Price is £6000, compared to £8000 for Nikon's own, and £7500 for Canon's.

Park Cameras have a Nikon-mount copy in stock and for sale. Price is £6000, compared to £8000 for Nikon's own, and £7500 for Canon's.
Priced too close for comfort in making a truly compelling argument as an alternative given the roughly 10% extra weight it carries? ..... I had hoped for keener pricing than that ..... :cat:

Priced too close for comfort in making a truly compelling argument as an alternative given the roughly 10% extra weight it carries? ..... I had hoped for keener pricing than that ..... :cat:

You could always want a lower price...expected perhaps a bit lower price also
but the price difference mentioned above is not quite valid around here,
I guess exchange rates may be the reason.
Here the sigma is close to being half the price of the nikon 500 FL VR,
(60 vs 110 SEK).

Sigma IQ and quality have been improved compared to 10-15 years ago.
Will be interesting to see reviews.

The 500/4 Sigma gets a very good review result here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-500mm-f-4-DG-OS-HSM-Sports-Lens.aspx

Don't see much difference from the Canon 500/4 IS USM II, but the Sigma have less CA.
It's only a 21 MP cam of FF though:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Another positive review, with some samples, bokeh looks good to:

http://natuurfotografie.nl/review-sigma-500mm-f4-dg-os-hsm-sport/

Another comparison Nikon 500/4 vs Sigma 500/4. Autofocus speed seem to be competitive in the Sigma
and the Nikon-version of the Sigma have a Electromagnetic Diaphragm (which the Canon version does NOT have):

http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#500mm_wars_4

A lot of reading there, but the short summary is that he finally decided on the Sigma.

Last edited:
Have been using the Sigma 500 mm f/4 for a couple of months now along with the Nikon D500 and can't fault the lens in any situation , most of the time used handheld which even at 70 yrs of age is fine . Also occasionally used with the Sigma TC-1401 ( on tripod ) with excellent results and very little difference in focus speed .

I have been offered this lens by Sigma in Sydney, Australia for a weekend's testing over the next weekend (15-17 December). If the deal goes ahead, I will be writing my thorough user review.

There are at least two credible reviews out there I have read that have given it an extremely good rating, on par with the exxy Canon and Nikon 500/4 super teles. However, no one tested it with a 2x converter. That is my only gripe. There are two reasons for that gripe:

1) My current Canon EF500mm f/4L IS USM (series 1) takes the EF 2x MkII very well and if used properly I am capable of capturing very good quality images, even hand held - albeit I need to close the aperture down to f/10 or f/11. Now, I can even put an EF 1.4x MkII converter on to stack the two together (2x + 1.4) for a 1,400mm f/11 lens and I am capable of taking very good images that are of publication worthy quality (I stop down to f/16 though) under the right conditions using my tripod (for 1,400mm I do use a tripod, but hand hold mostly in other instances). So the Sigma has to deliver good IQ at 1,000mm.

2) Will the Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM be as good wide open with the 2x as the Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM with the EF 2x MkIII? The Canon has superb edge-to-edge image quality at f/8, thus I would not need to stop down to f/10 or f/11 whilst using this set-up. If Sigma is a match at least at the 1,000mm f/8 mark with the Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM then I am sold! If not, I will pay the AUD 11,500 for a new 500/4 from Canon.

Last edited:
Also, here is another very very positive review from E.J. Peiker at Naturescapes:
https://www.naturescapes.net/articles/reviews/sigma-500mm-f4-dg-os-hsm-sport-lens-review/

Pricing probably varies globally.

The Canon 500 is around AUD 11,000 to 12,000
The Nikon, I have no clue. I would say about a grand more.
The Sigma, I can buy for just over AUD 6,000 so it is a huge saving and I may need to drop my Canon Snob title if I go with a Sigma. As long as it is as good as a Canon, because for me image quality is more important than a cost saving. Even if it's half the price of the Canon equivalent. I guess I could always get a used Canon 500 II in which case, they are around the 8-9K mark.

It would be an honour to endorse a third-party product over the ridiculously priced Canon lens, provided the Sigma is an ass-kicker.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your review......hope it works for you.As you say,canon and nikons big telephoto lenses are ridiculously priced and unjustifiable.

Look at the blog on Brad Hills "Natural Are Images" He did a very in depth test of the Sigma against the new Nikon and he kept the Sigma. He leds small group Photo tours thru some wild country in British Columbia and the Yukon. Good read
Steve

Look at the blog on Brad Hills "Natural Are Images" He did a very in depth test of the Sigma against the new Nikon and he kept the Sigma. He leds small group Photo tours thru some wild country in British Columbia and the Yukon. Good read
Steve

I read that review too. Very good read and great to see Sigma picking up their game.

Seriously,how much better would the image quality be compared to my nikon 200-500 mm used close to its longest focal length......i use mine at about 480mm most of the time.Can someone who owns one post some pics up here.......the sample images ive looked at so far,although great,dont seem to be any more sharp than the results i get from my lens.......certainly not an extra £4000's worth.

Neil
Find DP Review's website and in the Third Party Lens forum. There have been several threads with pictures and links to other galleries with this lens. Yes when you pixel peep at 100% there is a difference plus you get better low light and auto-focus performance.
Steve

Seriously,how much better would the image quality be compared to my nikon 200-500 mm used close to its longest focal length......i use mine at about 480mm most of the time.Can someone who owns one post some pics up here.......the sample images ive looked at so far,although great,dont seem to be any more sharp than the results i get from my lens.......certainly not an extra £4000's worth.

People have different needs when it comes to equipment. If your need is met by the 200-500 then that is great. :t:

I did get to take the new Sigma out over the weekend (apparently the second of only two in this country), but it did not perform to expectation. However, that is more than likely, that they were not able to provide the USB dock (there are none in Australia!!!!) so I was not able to properly calibrate the lens to my 1D MkIV and 7D MkII bodies. The distributor is getting me one in from the USA and I will take the lens again in a few weeks so I can really give it a good run. Unfortunately, my shooting conditions were not ideal for my shooting expectations either.

It would be grossly unprofessional to state anything to put the lens down, as it seems to be very, very good based on other reviewers' assessments.

Once all those things are sorted I will also be able to match it to my 1Dx MkII I had picked up last night so it will be tested with current and relevant bodies. I live in good hope to nail some awesome stuff in the coming weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back