Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 16:41   #51
viper3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
American Three-toed Woodpecker has been in the last few editions (it was split quite a while ago, stateside IIRC. Barn owl has not been split by the AOS (and even then it would just be renaming...I don't think the old world form has been recorded in the States or Canada.

It's probably will be mostly vagrant seabirds/Alaskan Strays/Stuff from Mexico and the Caribbean that have appeared since the last edition, alongside whatever taxonomic splits that occurred up to 2016. I have the book on order but it should arrive Thursday, so I can maybe give you a better sense then.
Yea I figured they would mostly be splits. Just trying to update my bird log on which ones have branched out without having to dig through all the old aba supplements. Just from flipping through it a little I noticed the western scrub jay split but haven't had enough time to go through the whole thing.
Old Friday 15th September 2017, 13:20   #52
Mysticete

I flipped through last night, and I too can't really recall all the splits that have happened since the last guide. The Scrub-Jay certainly stood out, as did Mexican Violetear. I think the Scripp's/Guadalupe Murrelet split is also new for the book
Mammal: 228 Herp: 174
Old Friday 15th September 2017, 14:26   #53
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
I flipped through last night, and I too can't really recall all the splits that have happened since the last guide. The Scrub-Jay certainly stood out, as did Mexican Violetear. I think the Scripp's/Guadalupe Murrelet split is also new for the book
I think the Violeteater is part of the Green Violetear split that gave us Lesser Violetear in Costa Rica.

A
Old Monday 18th September 2017, 14:08   #54
andyadcock

Mine arrived today and I really like the family finder, page end arrangement.

A
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: