• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alcedinidae (3 Viewers)

l_raty

laurent raty
Sun, Zhao, Zhang, Gong, Jing, Huang. 2017. Two mitochondrial genomes in Alcedinidae (Ceryle rudis/Halcyon pileata) and the phylogenetic placement of Coraciiformes. Genetica 145:431–440.
[abstract & supp.info.] (Can be read [here], but not downloaded, it seems.)

The first file is a .doc, the second is postscript.
Mac should handle that pretty well (as far as I recall); much less sure about Windows. No idea about cell phones.

Last edited:
Andersen MJ, McCullough JM, Mauck WM III, Smith BT, Moyle RG. A phylogeny of kingfishers reveals an Indomalayan origin and elevated rates of diversification on oceanic islands. J Biogeogr. 2017;00:1–13. https://doi.org/10.1111/jbi.13139

Abstract:

Kingfishers are the most species-rich family in the avian order, Coraciiformes. Their modern distribution is largely pantropical; however, global species diversity is unevenly distributed. For example, 19 of the 114 kingfisher species occur in New Guinea, whereas only six species occur in the entire New World. This disparity in diversity suggests regions with high species richness could represent the ancestral range of the family. Furthermore, some clades of kingfishers (Ceyx, Todiramphus) are thought to be the product of rapid insular radiations. Here, we investigated the biogeographical history and speciation dynamics of the Alcedinidae using a fully sampled molecular phylogeny.

... are thought to be the product of rapid insular radiations. ....

I have a problem with this concept - if a species is mobile enough to colonise new islands readily, wouldn't there be continuing high levels of mobility between the islands, which would result in genetic mixing that would slow down speciation? If a species was less mobile, then speciation could be faster, but few islands would be reached.

I think one of the ways that concept could work is to have a species spread rapidly throughout an archipelago. Once arrived, there would be a selection against too much traveling ability, reflected for example in the shortening of wings often found in bird species on islands. Once that diminishes the inter-island travel, local selection and genetic drift could come together resulting in local speciation.

Niels

I think the point is that with small populations on each island, local selection and genetic drift can act rather fast. Additionally, what one describes as fast might be slow for another ...

Niels

Linck, E., B.G. Freeman, and J.P. Dumbacher (2020)
Speciation and gene flow across an elevational gradient in New Guinea kingfishers
Journal of Evolutionary Biology (advance online publication)
doi: 10.1111/jeb.13698
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jeb.13698

Closely related species with parapatric elevational ranges are ubiquitous in tropical mountains worldwide. The gradient speciation hypothesis proposes that these series are the result of in situ ecological speciation driven by divergent selection across elevation. Direct tests of this scenario have been hampered by the difficulty inferring the geographic arrangement of populations at the time of divergence. In cichlids, sticklebacks, and Timema stick insects, support for ecological speciation driven by other selective pressures has come from demonstrating parallel speciation, where divergence proceeds independently across replicated environmental gradients. Here, we take advantage of the unique geography of the island of New Guinea to test for parallel gradient speciation in replicated populations of Syma kingfishers that show extremely subtle differentiation across elevation and between historically isolated mountain ranges. We find that currently described high elevation and low elevation species have reciprocally monophyletic gene trees and form nuclear DNA clusters, rejecting this hypothesis. However, demographic modeling suggests selection has likely maintained species boundaries in the face of gene flow following secondary contact. We compile evidence from the published literature to show that while in situ gradient speciation in labile organisms such as birds appears rare, divergent selection and post‐speciation gene flow may be an underappreciated force in the origin of elevational series and tropical beta diversity along mountain slopes.

Dalton, D.L., L.J. Nupen, M. Mwale, C. Pretorius, A.S. Kropff, B.A. Monchusi, K. Labuschagne, and S.T. Osinubi (2022)
First steps to success: identification of divergence among the northern and the southern lineages of African Pygmy Kingfisher (Ispidina picta) (Coraciiformes: Alcedinidae)
Journal of Ornithology (advance online publication)
doi: 10.1007/s10336-022-01996-z

Currently little is known about intra-African bird migrants. Migratory connectivity between populations may be affected by past climatic fluctuations as well as contemporary threats that affect habitat connectivity resulting in genetic differentiation. Here, integrated molecular and morphological data was used to examine genetic diversity, elucidate patterns of differentiation and assess evolutionary history of the African Pygmy Kingfisher (Ispidina picta). Three subspecies have been described namely: I. p. picta, I. p. ferrugina and I. p. natalensis. Here, molecular analysis was performed for two subspecies; I. p. natalensis (South Africa) and I. p. picta (Uganda, Ghana and Nigeria) using mitochondrial and nuclear genes. Our results provided evidence of two genetic lineages corresponding to subspecies designation: I. p. natalensis, and I. p. picta that diverged 1.74 Mya ago in the Pleistocene. Lack of differentiation was observed within the two subspecies indicating that connectivity between the populations has been maintained. Morphometric variation identified differences between the subspecies and further identified sexual dimorphism within I. p. natalensis. This study provides for the first time a genetic and morphometric appraisal of African Pygmy Kingfishers. We recommend that this or similar approaches be applied to other widespread African bird species that are often overlooked in a global conservation context.

Dalton, D.L., L.J. Nupen, M. Mwale, C. Pretorius, A.S. Kropff, B.A. Monchusi, K. Labuschagne, and S.T. Osinubi (2022)
First steps to success: identification of divergence among the northern and the southern lineages of African Pygmy Kingfisher (Ispidina picta) (Coraciiformes: Alcedinidae)
Journal of Ornithology (advance online publication)
doi: 10.1007/s10336-022-01996-z

Currently little is known about intra-African bird migrants. Migratory connectivity between populations may be affected by past climatic fluctuations as well as contemporary threats that affect habitat connectivity resulting in genetic differentiation. Here, integrated molecular and morphological data was used to examine genetic diversity, elucidate patterns of differentiation and assess evolutionary history of the African Pygmy Kingfisher (Ispidina picta). Three subspecies have been described namely: I. p. picta, I. p. ferrugina and I. p. natalensis. Here, molecular analysis was performed for two subspecies; I. p. natalensis (South Africa) and I. p. picta (Uganda, Ghana and Nigeria) using mitochondrial and nuclear genes. Our results provided evidence of two genetic lineages corresponding to subspecies designation: I. p. natalensis, and I. p. picta that diverged 1.74 Mya ago in the Pleistocene. Lack of differentiation was observed within the two subspecies indicating that connectivity between the populations has been maintained. Morphometric variation identified differences between the subspecies and further identified sexual dimorphism within I. p. natalensis. This study provides for the first time a genetic and morphometric appraisal of African Pygmy Kingfishers. We recommend that this or similar approaches be applied to other widespread African bird species that are often overlooked in a global conservation context.
1.74 myo is old ?

I have a question on authorship of Tanysiptera sylvia Gould, 1850. As I understood OD is v. 3-4 (1850-1851) - Contributions to ornithology for 1848-1853 - Biodiversity Heritage Library from 1850. As I understood as well pt.18-19 (1850-1851) - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library was published in 1851. The description in Contributions to ornithology shows even in the headline that this is a note/comment on Goulds publication in Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. So the author of the note is William Jardine (see footnote on last page of the descriptions W. J.). Isn't in this case Jardine the correct author (I know not fair but might be the rule as per code).

From the calendar years 1831 to 1858 we do not know the dates of publication; the records show when the printers delivered printed parts to the Society but not when these were published (Duncan, 1937). Dickinson 2005.

https://decapoda.nhm.org/pdfs/30634/30634.pdf .

https://zslpublications.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-7998.1937.tb08500.x .

The Gould paper was printed February 28, 1851.

1893 - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

The note on Gould’s paper by Jardine was a late addition to p. 5 of 1850 ?? See note 12 in Dickinson et al .

https://www.avespress.com/uploads/texteditor/zoological_bibliography_1_2_web.pdf .

There is no fair play in avian nomenclature.

I think Gould sent around his paper to Jardine and others to comment. He apparently inteded to read it in May 1850 but as written in pencil in the linked Contributions in Ornithology it was read in July 1850. Mac Gilivray probably came up with the scientific names only to be stolen by Gould so all is fair in war.

I don't find it easy to interpret.

In any case :

The description in Contributions to ornithology shows even in the headline that this is a note/comment on Goulds publication in Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London.

...does not seem correct (to me). The description in Contributions to ornithology is a note / addition to Gould's "A brief account on the researches in natural history of John McGillivray" etc., which makes up pp. 92-105 of the same volume of Contrib. Ornithol. and was, as per p. 85 (and the ToC), based on a presentation at a meeting of the British Association at Edinburgh on 30 Jul 1850. So the paper this note aims to complement is not Gould's publication in Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London.

If the Contrib. Ornithol. descriptions are interpreted as being part of a report on this Edinburgh meeting, Gould should be the author as per ICZN 50.2.

Besides, the descriptions are not actually part of something that was explicitly attributed to Jardine. (Compare, for instance, to the footnote on p. 105*.) Thus, even if they are treated as not being part of the meeting report, authorship would still be unclear at best. (E.g., Jardine might conceivably have asked Gould to provide additional info on new species discovered by McGillivray for publication in the journal, and Gould might have provided these descriptions to meet this request.)

Last edited:
Page 85 of 1850 Contr. Orn. mentions Strickland, Gould and Wooley reading papers at BAAS July 30, 1850 meeting.
v. 3-4 (1850-1851) - Contributions to ornithology for 1848-1853 - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
The Report of that meeting prints Strickland and Wooley papers but not Gould's.
20th Meeting (1850) - Report of the British Association for the Advancement of Science - Biodiversity Heritage Library . Strickland mentions Jardine and Contr. Orn. I like accurate dates of publication of OD and accurate authorship. I am not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back