• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New version out, Metabones, Canon EF-lens on MFT (1 Viewer)

Binoseeker

Mostly using spectacles (myopic) with binoculars.
New firmware version out, Metabones, Canon EF-lens on MFT

Name: Firmware update V2.8 for for Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds Smart AdapterTM/Speed BoosterTM
Release date: 26 Jun 2017
Benefits and improvements:
Fixed smooth iris support for 40/2.8 STM, 50/1.8 STM and Sigma 50-100/1.8 DC HSM Art 016.
Fixed AF issue with EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM and EF-S 18-135/3.5-5.6 IS Nano USM lenses.
Fixed regression with EF Extender 1.4x not being recognized when used with fixed focal length lenses.

Last edited:
400/5.6 L USM and 1.4x Extender III.
It would only register the TC if after turning the camera on I push the lens release button.

Quite recently my Canon 400/Metabones adapter setup started to show some weird behavior, hard to describe in detail but in short:
  • After power on the display would sometimes stay black, or sometimes render a lark low contrast image.
  • Consistent focus refusal, regardless of subject. The camera would make half a dozen attempts to acquire focus (click-click-click...) and then either simply give up, or confirm focus even when focus was incorrect. Exception was when turning EVF magnification on, then focus would quite often be acquired (but not always)
This behavior was observed regardless of camera body (EM-1 and EM-1 Mark 2).
I was thinking about giving up and putting up the lens and extender for sale, but before doing so I decided to install the latest FW (2.8). Much to my surprise the setup now works as it should and with what I perceive clearly improved performance (AF acquistion/accuracy) compared to before I updated the adapter. Need to give the lens a workout in field to confirm this.

And for the sake of completess the lens focal lens is reported as it should, 400/566 mm.

Tord,
I have found several times that when the Metabones acts up, reloading the firmware does the trick.
I am sticking with 2.6. 2.8 would not register the Mark III Extender and the exposure would be off by one stop. Seems to work better with the Mark II. I keep checking for a minor update, but nothing yet. Sometimes a newer version shows up when you hit the download button, like V2.7b.exe.

Tord,
I have found several times that when the Metabones acts up, reloading the firmware does the trick.
Hi Dan,

If someone else than me experienced this it indicates there is an issue with the FW becoming corrupt, or saving bad data, causing it to behave incorrectly. That's not good - what if it happens while on a photo session? Worse case is if the loader itself gets corrupted then there is no way to re-load the FW.

Do you remember what preceded this? Like camera lock-up having to take out battery to bring it to life again? (Has happened to me a few times).

We should report this to Metabones.

I have recently installed FW 2.8. It seems to work ok so far.
It shows 1200mm in exifdata when using Sigma C @ 600m together with Ext 2x mkIII.

I am using E-M1 MkI.

I am sure they know about it. As I remember the problems were usually right in the beginning. I can't remember a firmware going belly up on me once it was running correctly. I stupidly loaded 2.7 the evening before a trip to Hungary, but fortunately, I had my laptop with me and could revert back to 2.6 in the evening after a day of problems with the Extender.
I never had a case where it showed the same behavior as you were experiencing. Usually if something hangs a quick push of the lens release button reactivates it.

version 2.9 out

I haven´t tried it yet.... / Anders

Name: Firmware update V2.9 for for Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds Smart AdapterTM/Speed BoosterTM
Release date: 14 Sep 2017
Fixed IBIS effectiveness issue with EF400/5.6L USM when used in conjunction with EF Extenders.
EXIF improvements.
New custom function allows user to manually dial-in the multiplier of a teleconverter if it is not automatically detected (e.g. certain third-party teleconverters).
Fixed manual focus distance scale display on Panasonic (requires lens with distance information).
Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC B005 stability improvement (although still not recommended for use with Metabones).

Focus speed test with v.2.9.

I installed v.2.9 now and checked focus speed with lenscap on, on my sigma C 150-600mm @ 600mm with E-M1 Mk I. I measured time for focus going from infinity to shortest distance and back. It took 6 s, with v.2.8 it took 7 s, so that is an improvement of 1 s.

Sometimes, when focus was going from infinity, it stopped at shortest distance, i had to re-press the shutter button to make it continue the focus movement.
Maybe that could be an improvement to get rid of those stops to v.2.10.

I hope I can test the gear with the new version outdoors coming weekend.

New version 3.0

Name: Firmware update V3.0 for Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds Smart AdapterTM/Speed BoosterTM
Release date: 12 Mar 2018
Addition of a custom function to Metabones App which lets the user to configure video AF speed/smoothness/noise level.
Jog lever iris control is deprecated starting with GH5, replaced with a new assignable Fn button feature. On GH5 V2.2 and newer cameras, you may assign a jog lever inward push to any of the functions listed under "Lens Fn Button Setting" under the "Lens/Others" menu. For older cameras, the jog lever on the adapter can be used for iris control on JVC and Panasonic cameras just like before.
Fixed AFC stability issue (AFC may still have poor performance and/or accuracy, even when "Focus/Release Priority" is set to "FOCUS", unless the camera supports phase-detection autofocus.)
Fixed issue with a legacy lens without distance information focusing to infinity on its own when switched from MF to AF on Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.
Fixed focal length display/EXIF of zoom lenses on Kenko Pro300 teleconverter. Blue dot version recommended.
EXIF improvement

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back