• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Francisco / California birding in late June (1 Viewer)

stevem76

Hi all,

I am road tripping with non-birders from Las Vegas to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite in June. I am sure I will have some questions about those areas later, but I am currently trying to figure out whether I should add some days on at the end, starting June 21st, for some birding around San Francisco or within a day's drive (could have access to a car without a problem).

It's probably not an ideal time of year but I've not been to the west coast before so I'm guessing there will probably be plenty to keep me entertained? My ABA list is only 124 species after all!

The alternative would be to come out before the road trip and spend the second week of June either around Vegas or somewhere else if it would be much better.

Your thoughts are very welcome!

Thanks Steve

At that time of year most of the good birds are on their breeding areas, which for these parts of the state is mostly mountains and deserts. Coastal birding will probably be a bit minimal, but I'll leave others who live in northern Cal to comment on that.

This website will give you plenty to look at for Las Vegas: http://www.birdandhike.com/Bird/_Bird_index.htm

Thanks James. I think I will stay on in the area in late June and check out a whale or island tour, but I'm not tied to San Francisco, I could travel back up into the mountains and even head back to Las Vegas for a flight home.

If anyone has any tips for this time of year, that would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

In the mountains especially Yosemite, is excellent for woodpeckers.
I had 9 different in California.

Monterrey Bay is also good for waders, also in June.
Woodpeckers and hummingbirds You can find also in Botanical Garden of San Franscisco.
Hummingbirds I saw in Monterrey Botanical Garden.
The prefer Metrosideros flowers, even though in this plant grows in Southern see where live no hummingbirds.
With camcorder I cam until 10 feet to the birds and create very nice movies.

Buy the way June can be very hot in California.
I camped I higher area east of Yosemite.
I the morning I drove down to Mono Lake, which is very good for waders and waterbirds.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back