• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goats and eye contact. (1 Viewer)

No, the other one was not left handed, it was a completely different species. They are unable to breed with the other species because when they meet on the slope of a cliff/mountain and one turns round to mate, its shorter legs are then on the downslope and it falls over.

Now, square pupils must have a weakness like the Comet airliner square windows. Wonder how evolution in goats squared that? Sorry.

You must never have seen a copy of the 'Baaaa-maa Sutra....'

I have taken the bait, and I wonder about the fascination about goats and sheep.

I am a farmer, and know all about livestock. I also enjoy a nice lamb chop when I can. :t:

This is an interesting subject about the shape of an eye pupil.

I have fond memories of a recent trip to Alaska and going through
the Denali National Park. They only allow a tour bus through the park,
and take a wild guess who spotted the most Dall Sheep on the mountain
sides. The driver said that was the highest number they had found all
season. I was carrying my Swaro. SV 8.5x42 EL, and know how to use it.

Jerry

What I also find interesting is the basic difference between normal unaided eyes binocular vision and the view through binoculars.
Through binoculars the image is round, a circle with the view restricted.
With unaided eyes it is almost a rectangle with a wide field of view almost unrestricted.

We buy 55 inch T.Vs now for not much money.
But who would buy a 55 inch circular T.V.?

Why do we want everything rectangular and level, Paintings on the wall, bookcases etc.?

Maybe an eskimo living in a round igloo would not mind circular paintings or a circular T.V.

Do the pupils of sheep and goats eyes become almost square in low light?

Do the pupils of sheep and goats eyes become almost square in low light?
Only when they're watching old 4:3 re-runs. If they're watching more modern shows recorded in 16:9 aspect ratio, their pupils become more rectangular...

...Mike

Last edited:
An Australian should be an expert on sheep.
Quite so. I could get quite expositive about various aspects of the beasts, covering everything from fly-strike through liver fluke. But you wouldn't enjoy it (the sheep sure don't). Perhaps if you were a Welshman or a Kiwi....

...Mike

P.S. Not that we see many sheep here in Sydney, except for the metaphorical kind. But, while I'm far from being Clancy of the Overflow, I've not always worked in the big smoke...

Last edited:
Why do we want everything rectangular and level, Paintings on the wall, bookcases etc.?

Because when sheep were sheep and men were men and most domestic stuff was made out of wood, it was easier and more economical in the amount of wood used to make stuff out of planks ie rectangular.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back