• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question About Texture (1 Viewer)

PNWEagle

Hello, I am new to BirdForum. I've been in lurk mode for a while researching equipment and want to start by saying thank you for equipment information.

I am looking at the 8.5x42 Swarovski EL and the new FieldPro version. My question is how does the housing texture compare between the two. Which one has more grip?

Thanks.

Hello, I am new to BirdForum. I've been in lurk mode for a while researching equipment and want to start by saying thank you for equipment information.

I am looking at the 8.5x42 Swarovski EL and the new FieldPro version. My question is how does the housing texture compare between the two. Which one has more grip?

Thanks.

Hello Eagle, welcome to BF.

It's more a matter of preference. A selected testpanel tried several textures and this one came out as the most prefered on touch, comfort and grip.

Jan

Thanks.

I have a 10X42 SV (2014 non-FieldPro) and a 8.5X42 (2015 FieldPro). IF grip is one of your primary concerns there is no doubt in my mind that the NON-FieldPro version does provide a better grip. MUCH more texture on the non-FieldPro. But I will add that I've never had an issue with grip whatsoever with the new armoring texture. ZERO issues with grip.

I took a couple of pictures of the two. Same binoculars, different lighting conditions. Maybe you can see the difference.

Attachments

• DSC_0535.JPG
    DSC_0535.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0537.JPG
    DSC_0537.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 126

Thanks.

Welcome to BF PNWE!

I own 2 of the EL SV non field pro models, but recently had an opportunity to take the 8.5 x 42 Field Pros out into the field for 10 days. IMO, the armored housing texture of the upgraded FP feels a little more "grippy", or tactical. I prefer both it's looks (not real important) and it's handling (very important) to my EL's, both of which the grip textures are a little slicker and shinier. As far as the FP overall package improvements, you can read my impressions HERE. :t:

Ted

Welcome to BF PNWE!

I own 2 of the EL SV non field pro models, but recently had an opportunity to take the 8.5 x 42 Field Pros out into the field for 10 days. IMO, the armored housing texture of the upgraded FP feels a little more "grippy", or tactical. I prefer both it's looks (not real important) and it's handling (very important) to my EL's, both of which the grip textures are a little slicker and shinier. As far as the FP overall package improvements, you can read my impressions HERE. :t:

Ted

I LOL when I read this Ted! |:D| We so agree on most things! :t:

At least we agree on the best binocular! B :) |8)|

For sure the improvements are worthwhile and they really cleaned up the way it looks..:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back