• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts on 8x32 (more or less) options (1 Viewer)

AndyII

United States
All,

On a recent trip, I only carried a set of 8x32 binos that I normally don't use that often (Vortex Diamondback 8x32). While not quite as nice as my usual, go-to binos (Zeiss Terra 8x42), I learned to greatly appreciate the compactness, lighter weight, and overall ease of use of the 8x32s.

So, I'm now in the market for some higher quality 8x32 (more or less) binos. These would generally serve as the day-to-day birding binos, except when conditions call for something else.

What is the collective wisdom on some of the following options....?

Kowa Genesis 8x33
Vortex Viper HD 8x32
Vortex Viper HD 6x32
Meopta Meostar 8x32
Meopta Meopro HD 8x32
Zeiss Conquest 8x32
Zeiss Terra 8x32
Steiner XC 8x32
Swarovski Companion CL 8x30

Thoughts? Recommendations? Any others I should investigate?

Unfortunately trying before buying is not likely in my case.

Thanks!

Kowa Genesis 8x33
Vortex Viper HD 8x32
Vortex Viper HD 6x32 - these are one of my favorites
Meopta Meostar 8x32
Meopta Meopro HD 8x32
Zeiss Conquest 8x32
Zeiss Terra 8x32
Steiner XC 8x32
Swarovski Companion CL 8x30

I can't really speak to the binoculars on your list, having used none of them - though I did consider most of them, at least on paper, when looking for 8x32s myself.

One thing I would note is that the Terra ED 8x42s (bins I have and like) are relatively small and light by "full size" binocular standards, while the 8x32 Diamondbacks (which I also have) are quite compact and reasonably light for their format. Some on your list are not. For example, those 8x32 Conquests - whatever their other virtues, and I'm told they have many - aren't really that much smaller or lighter than your Terras. You might want to keep an eye on that as you assess your alternatives.

I would suggest, though, that you add Maven B.3s to your list of possibilities - I don't know about other magnifications, but I recently received a pair in 6x30 which I've found quite impressive. (Maven was very easy to deal with for international shipping. Australia is fairly low-fuss as far as customs and what-not goes, though, so your circumstances might differ in that regard.)

...Mike

Last edited:
Of those you list, I'd go with the Kowa. It had a truly spectacular view with almost no chromatic aberration and a very bright, neutral image. The Viper HD, Meostar/Cabela's Euro HD and Zeiss Conquest HD are all good options as well. Of those I'd probably choose the Viper HD as the view is all but indistinguishable between the three in terms of qualify, but the Viper is typically cheaper.

Andy 2, post 1,
You do not mention your budget, but from the binoculars you have listed I would try the following binoculars:
Meopta Meostar B1 8x32
Meopta Meopro HD 8x32
Swarovski Companion 8x30

Gijs van Ginkel

Of your list, I would go with the Kowa. They are sharp and bright, handle nicely, and have a feel of excellent build quality. The Meopta Meostar would be a close 2nd, and although I do like it's overall size a bit more than the Kowa, the Kowa has a smoother focus wheel that is also easier to turn, and has less stiction.

That being said - you should add the Zeiss Conquest HD to your list. You did add the Conquest, but the older Conquest is not as good as the Kowa or Viper or Meostar or Meopro (still a decent bino though, at the right price). However the *HD* version would be my pick over all of those on your list. I've not seen a better 8x32 in it's price range, which at least in the US, is a bit less than the Kowa.

A few years ago, when I had two sets of two binoculars each (a 6.5x32 and a 10x32), I bought the Meostar 8x32 and it quickly became my to-go binocular.
It has a large image with a very thin black rim around it (a large PFOV) thanks to its sleek barrels. It is very easy to operate despite its small dimensions, far better than the Zeiss FL 10x32 and Nikon HG 10x32 I had at that time. My Vortex Fury and Meopro 6,5x32 are easy to handle too but substantially larger.
These days, when there are many 8x42's approaching the size of the larger 8x32's, I think choosing a smaller 8x32 is better to really make a difference in size and weight.
Apart from the Meostar and the Maven, there are also the Kite Lynx HD 8x30 and its twin, the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, which are smaller still than the Meostar.

//L

Edit: The small diameter eyecups of the Meostar are difficult to support on the eyebrows. I mostly use it with spectacles, so that is not a problem for me but it is a known drawback for some buyers.

Last edited:
Andyll,

As a piece of engineering design, I particularly like the Meostar 8x32. It's maybe the one I'd most like to own, but I couldn't claim it's the best. Unfortunately, as Looksharp mentions, it's not going to work for everyone physically. Over the last few years it's colour rendition has improved a lot, but as of 12 months ago, I still wouldn't count it amongst the best on your list, and others do a little better on CA and effective resolution in my opinion. It's unfortunate that Meopta have not been legally allowed to market an HD version of the 8x32 in Europe. There is the Cabelas HD version in the US of course which should promote it up the list.

I personally would dismiss a few others on effective resolution. The Kowa or Zeiss Conquest HD are a cut above the rest techically for me. I could make a case that the Kowa is the clear winner by totting up various criteria, but maybe the Zeiss is easier, less demanding to use.

We all assess binoclars differently according to our needs. If small and light is important then the Kite Lynx should be on your list.... providing you don't wear glasses. I suspect it is essentially the same as the Maven, but unfortunately we don't get to see that in Europe.

David

Last edited:
If small and light is important then the Kite Lynx should be on your list.... providing you don't wear glasses. I suspect it is essentially the same as the Maven, but unfortunately we don't get to see that in Europe.
I don't know about Europe, but Maven were quite happy to ship to Australia (though Europe may generate customs issues I didn't have to worry so much about down here).

As far as eye relief goes for the Maven, I'd knocked the B.3 off my list when looking at 8x32s because 15.1mm seemed marginal for my use with glasses (and because the cost of shipping them here then shipping them back again if they didn't work out seemed unattractive).

The 6x30 was a different prospect, with eye relief of 18.3mm. Now that I have them I'd guess that's about right - or, at the least, I can say I find the eye relief quite sufficient. Note, though, that the Maven spec sheet seems more than a bit misleading. The real field of view of the 6x30s is considerably wider than the spec sheet suggests, while the closest focus distance (at least to my eyes) is more like 5ft than 8.2ft. I find it odd that these errors make the bins seem worse, not better, than they really are - suggesting they really are errors. And as I said earlier, so far I'm quite impressed by my Maven 6x30s.

...Mike

From your list I would probably go with either the Kowa, the Zeiss Conquest (HD model); or the Meopta.

I would also add the Leupold 8x32 Mojave. But may be tough to get in Europe. I personally liked its sharpness ( perceived resolution) and low light brightness when I compared it extensively to a Cabelas ( Meopta made) 8x32 Euro.

But as said above, we all have different eyes and needs.

The 6x30 was a different prospect, with eye relief of 18.3mm. Now that I have them I'd guess that's about right - or, at the least, I can say I find the eye relief quite sufficient. Note, though, that the Maven spec sheet seems more than a bit misleading. The real field of view of the 6x30s is considerably wider than the spec sheet suggests, while the closest focus distance (at least to my eyes) is more like 5ft than 8.2ft. I find it odd that these errors make the bins seem worse, not better, than they really are - suggesting they really are errors. And as I said earlier, so far I'm quite impressed by my Maven 6x30s.

...Mike

That comes from an insistence on the part of the maker to be conservative. The feeling is that nobody will complain if they measure the fov and find it wider than advertised, while the reverse would cause some consternation. Yet they are OK with the light transmission figures, so yeah it can be misleading, or at least confusing.

The actual fov of the B3 8x30 is 445'.

I have no idea about the difficulty of getting one to Germany, but the Maven B3 is the best of any mentioned binoculars. That, in my estimation includes the Swaro CL, Zeiss Conquest, and the Kowa.

Last edited:
As far as eye relief goes for the Maven, I'd knocked the B.3 off my list when looking at 8x32s because 15.1mm seemed marginal for my use with glasses (and because the cost of shipping them here then shipping them back again if they didn't work out seemed unattractive).

...Mike

I don't know if the Maven 8x30 shares the same eyecup as the Kite Lynx, but the raised rim means there is actually a lot less than 15.1mm available. 15mm would normally be fine for me but I can't get anywhere close to the full FOV with the Lynx.

David

Last edited:
Andyll,

It's unfortunate that Meopta have not been legally allowed to market an HD version of the 8x32 in Europe.
David

I noticed that the Meopro version of the 8x32 is listed as HD, but the Meostar version is not listed as HD. Is this what you're referring to?

I've needed to rewrite this. As someone kindly pointed out I managed to confuse myself over the Meopro and Meostar designations. Hopefully correct this time.

Yes. Due to some aspect of the contract with Cabelas in the US, the ED glass (HD) versions of some of the Meostars can only be sold as the Cabelas Euro HD. The 10x42 HD is available in Europe along with a couple of bigger models. Comparing the two versions of the 10x42 it's clear the ED/HD element shifts it up a performance gear with better micro-definition and CA control. One would hope it would be similar for the 8x32.

The Meopro HD is actually quite good and probably does have the edge on the regular Meostar for CA control, but to me it didn't seem to have the same depth of contrast (or delightful ergonomics), as the regular Meostar, and the Meostar HD is in a different league.

David

Last edited:
Excellent. Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know what I decide, and then I'll post a short review afterward.

I don't know if the Maven 8x30 shares the same eyecup as the Kite Lynx, but the raised rim means there is actually a lot less than 15.1mm available. 15mm would normally be fine for me but I can't get anywhere close to the full FOV with the Lynx.

David
I just looked at my 6x30 B.3s and the raised rim around the oculars is present. I don't think it would be as much a problem, or a problem at all, with the longer eye relief of the 6x30s but I can see where it could be, for some, with the shorter relief provided with other magnification B.3s.

...Mike

Last edited:
So.....the Maven B3's arrived today. I haven't had a chance to really put them through the paces, but my first impression is very positive. More to follow.....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back