• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski DF 8x30W O GA STP (1 Viewer)

I compared my green 8x30W IF with my friend Nikon 8x30 eII on top of a building looking at the city and park at noontime with full sun. I noticed something.

1. In the green Habicht 8x30W IF.. everything beyond 15 meters are in focus to the farthest.
2. In the Nikon 8x30 eII... even things beyond 50 meters are not in focus with respect to the farthest.

In other words. The green Habicht 8x30W IF has greater depth of field. Is it because the Nikon 8x30 eII has greater magnification more than 8X? perhaps it is 8.3X? This may explain the green Military Habicht much greater depth of field. Is the standard black Habicht also like this.. with very great depth of field? With it this good. there is no problem with individual focuser because everything beyond 15 meters are in focus so you don't need to adjust the focuser.

Well. How about view between the Habicht and Nikon 8x30 2II in pure daylight with full sun. The contrast of the Habicht is just so incredible and stunning.. I didn't think I'd say this myself after reading other describe it.. it is so refractor like making the Nikon almost like a Catadiophic with lesser contrast. My friend after seeing my Habicht decide to sell his Nikon. This is how good the Habicht is!

I see you noticed that objects seen on the edges of a Nikon 8x30 EII are not in focus when they are not at infinity. This is because large field curvature which is known as "pincushioning" has been designed into this binocular. On these close objects you can dial the the edges into sharpness but they will lose sharpness when viewed in the center of the field. When looking at objects at infinity everything will be in focus over the full field of view.

You can see this large "pincushion" field curvature when you place a nearby straight object like a telephone pole at the edge of the field of view. You can focus it into sharpness. Move the binocular so the pole is in the center of the view and it will be out of focus but it will be straight. This is how the EII was designed.

Bob

Last edited:
hi whezka ! more you tell us about your habicht more i want to grab one soonest possible. you killing me with depth of field .never hear a better DOF in a 8x binoculars ,practically no need much focusing especially for me because i rarely use a bino under 15 meters distance .I think this habicht have a totally different optic design in order to stay in focus more then civilian version . I don't have another explanation .I wonder if 10x40 model have the same fantastic DOF because if he have , then we have another winner, and maybe i chose directly de 10x40 model instead an 8x30.

It has been repeatedly argued here, for years, that all binoculars of the same power have the same DOF which is largely based on how far the object viewed is away from the user and that lower power binoculars have longer DOF than higher power binoculars do. And this argument has been repeatedly ignored and all of the arguments to the contrary are based on user opinions only.

Bob

Last edited:
For some of us I suspect it might be difficult to for us to forget Lume the 'psychic' who was banned by admin a couple of weeks ago. In his last post he said

"In a week or two. When I received the Habicht. I'd put it to viewing scrutiny with the Nikon and see if it is really resolving power or colour rendition that makes the Nikon look not sharp. I will report this completely. But you all will never recognize it's me."

I think the joke might be on us. Perhaps not just one but two incarnations?

David

For some of us I suspect it might be difficult to for us to forget Lume the 'psychic' who was banned by admin a couple of weeks ago. In his last post he said

"In a week or two. When I received the Habicht. I'd put it to viewing scrutiny with the Nikon and see if it is really resolving power or colour rendition that makes the Nikon look not sharp. I will report this completely. But you all will never recognize it's me."

I think the joke might be on us. Perhaps not just one but two incarnations?

David

I also have my suspicions.:smoke:

Bob

I see you noticed that objects seen on the edges of a Nikon 8x30 EII are not in focus when they are not at infinity. This is because large field curvature which is known as "pincushioning" has been designed into this binocular. On these close objects you can dial the the edges into sharpness but they will lose sharpness when viewed in the center of the field. When looking at objects at infinity everything will be in focus over the full field of view.

You can see this large "pincushion" field curvature when you place a nearby straight object like a telephone pole at the edge of the field of view. You can focus it into sharpness. Move the binocular so the pole is in the center of the view and it will be out of focus but it will be straight. This is how the EII was designed.

Bob

I'm not talking about the objects seen on the edges of the Nikon 8x30 eii but on the center of field. I went to the third floor roof parking with a friend with trees and buildings around it. When I tried the Nikon 8x30 eii looking at the nearby trees and far away buildings. I have to refocus (note objects is at center of field, not edges). But with the green Habicht.. I don't need any refocusing, the neary trees and far away buildings are all in focus.. not just focus.. but very sharp focus.. you can see the clarify and colour rendition of every leaves of the tree. My friend instantly saw the difference.

If 8X has the same DOF.. maybe one of them is higher in power or lower. I don't know. I guess we have to wait for Swarovksi to tell us what they added (if any) in the military Habicht.. if there is any improvement.. my guess is they used the multicoatings they use on the EL on the military Habicht.. but maybe there is no changes and just happen to have a good Habicnt. Jan will test his Military 10x40 in comparison to the standard black for more scrunity.

I think I won't return the green Habicht anymore to Binostore. Because what I fear the most is the shipping ports knocking it out of collimination. I received the unit perfectly colliminated. Maybe if I can convince Binostore to sell me the black one at $500 for their mistakes in sending another item. I may get the black for more comparisons..

Whatever.. many have the Nikon 8x30 eII and black habichts. If you can compare them in the depth of fields.. please share them. My green Habicht has significant greater depth of field than the Nikon 8x30 eII.

(Binomaniac.. please ask your Swedish friend or others.. don't just rely on my review because I didn't have the black Habicht for comparison.. maybe ask Jan who has all of them)

thanks bob for explanations . i have had dozens of binoculars in the last 35 years and i know what DOF means . Piergiovanni from binomania do some explanation about how one can calculate DOF ,i think the square of the power ., for example at 10x power ,the DOF would be 10x10 =100 ,so everything beyond 100 meters would be in focus to the farthest. But i always hope for a magical innovation on the optic design in order to have an binoculars focus free or at least closest possible . Best regards.

WHEZKA I just sent a message to my friend in sweden ,ask-him about the DOF in both 8x30 and 10x40 military version. I hope he will find some time to do some comparison

Hi denco,

About the weight in hand held binoculars, lighter than a point is worst! For me, around 28 oz in a 10x and 22 or a litte more in a 8x is about the lowest for a confortable hand held observation. The difference of even 4 oz up is a good thing for the viewing and hardly noticeable in the neck or shoulder.

PHA
I prefer the lighter weight of the Habicht 8x30 W. 19oz. is REALLY nice to carry in the field and hold for me. The nice thing also about the Habicht 8x30 W is UNLIKE the Nikon 8x32 SE and EII the Habicht's lay nicely flat against your chest on the neck strap. For some reason also the Habicht doesn't flop around on your chest with the neck strap. You don't even need any type of harness in the field. They are really comfortable to carry with their small size and light weight.

David and Bob,
I think the same.
That we are involved with the multiuniverse here.
Sadly, some think that the multiuniverse has an infinite number of parallel universes, where we have infinite clones of all of us.

I noticed that the supposed point of origin also changed or ceased to be.

As to folks who talk about or really think there is a perfect binocular, or perfect anything. It doesn't exist.
It is sad to be drawn into conversations, where we try to help, but are actually in an Alice in Wonderland fantasy world.

I suppose I should meditate back into the calm world of peace and tranquility rather than let any anger show if we are being taken advantage of. (Grammar).

I was already wondering about the ready acceptance of optical "miracles" in this thread. Then when I saw the DOF observations this morning I decided it was time to leave. I confess I was mighty slow to catch on to the similarity to the "lume" line of questioning, so I guess I'm the goat this time.

Henry

WHEZKA I just sent a message to my friend in sweden ,ask-him about the DOF in both 8x30 and 10x40 military version. I hope he will find some time to do some comparison

There will be a difference here when the binoculars are focused on a nearby object.

If you have a deck like I do and a tree about 20 feet off it denuded of leaves as is normal in this season; sharply focus both binoculars on the same point in the center of the tree. You will see more branches and twigs in focus in front of and behind the focal point with the 8x than you will with the 10x. A 7x will be even better under these conditions making following birds like warblers through the branches easier.

Bob

Last edited:
whezka:the answers from swarovski : The DF 8x30 W GA is an old one. GA means green rubber armouring. We don't know STP. It hasn't got the latest treatment. Now i am a little confused . judging by the colour deep green on yours GA ,there is one of the latest treatment on the lenses i have had the same colour in my former habicht in leather, new model. I expect the answers from my friend in SWEDEN. As for the washed out feeling on the leather version i think was due to the veiling glare in some situation , an 10x40 habicht ist better corrected regarding to this aspect. i am Sorry for your misunderstanding situation.

To all (who cares):

Had a long chat with the reps about this matter and the following are the results:

There is no difference between the military and the civil version accept for the IF/CF modus AND a possible laserfilter/reticle can be present in the IF version if so ordered by the military customer.
## identification is equel to the civil ones and Letter combination is only for internal use.
Difference in DOV was unknown to them, but if so, possible due to difference in IF/CF modus.
The IF is not for sale for civilian public, but intimi can lift on a military order. Production is on military demand and "civilian" orders lift on these productions so the Saudi and or Chinese pipeline is very well possible.

Hope this clears a lot!!

Jan

Thanks Jan. I'm not surprised to hear that the optics are identical and I'm sure the difference in DOF is unknown to Swarovski because there is no difference in the DOF.

I'm still curious about the reason for Swarovski discontinuing the 8x30W GA. Did you get any answers about that?

Henry

Thanks Jan. I'm not surprised to hear that the optics are identical and I'm sure the difference in DOF is unknown to Swarovski because there is no difference in the DOF.

I'm still curious about the reason for Swarovski discontinuing the 8x30W GA. Did you get any answers about that?

Henry

I think you are right about the response regarding the DOF of the reps. As the word goes: " a lunatic can ask more then a wise man can answer", in other words; they never heard about it.

I did ask about why they discontinued the 30GA and it was due to lack of sales.

@Proud Papa: you can hike on delivery but the delivery time is flexible.

Jan

Jan,

Off topic here, but since you answered the original question and that poster will no longer be participating, did you come across any other non hunting announcements at the show that might be of interest to us?

Thanks.

Jan,

Off topic here, but since you answered the original question and that poster will no longer be participating, did you come across any other non hunting announcements at the show that might be of interest to us?

Thanks.

Exept for the 30mm tube Z8i, no new optic items from any brand and they were all there.

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back