• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SV 8x32 Traveler FieldPro (1 Viewer)

The EDG 8x32 is quite possibly my favorite pair of binoculars I've handled. Exceptional CA and glare control, great colors, and quite bright. The 8x32 SV was very slightly brighter, had similarly great colors, but had worse CA/Glare control - it also was lighter. It all just depends what you want and value in a pair of binoculars. There's something for everyone in every price range if you spend enough time looking.
Interesting that you thought the EDG was quite bright. That was the deciding factor between it and the SV for me. The Nikon just seemed dim compared to the Swarovski and I think it is due to either the glass and coatings or a combination of both. I found the SV susbstantially brighter than the EDG with just more pop and more high transmission sparkle. But do to age and differences in eyes we all sometimes see thing a little differently. Both are excellent binoculars and probably the top 8x32's in the birding world.

Last edited:
I also have both the 8x32 and 10x32 SV's and could not be happier.

Is there any advantage the SV 10x32 has over 8x32? I have been comparing the SV 8x32 with UVHD 10x42 and it's hard to justify the need for the 10x. The 8x sees everything the 10x sees with less jitters. The smaller SV is good even in low light conditions. The only time the Leica 10x42 sees more detail when birding is when I sit and brace myself to reduce the shakes. If I use it after a brisk walk or hike it is hard to see any details until the heart rate comes down. The SV 8x32 is more forgiving. IMO the SV 8x32 is just perfection in fov, weight and balance.

I just had the 8x32 SV and the 10x50 SV up in Rocky Mountain National Park and I was searching for Big Horn Sheep in the craggy distant mountain tops and the bigger 10x50 SV definitely outperformed the smaller 8x32 SV under those conditions. It really surprised me how steady I could hold the 10x also. It will show more detail than the 8x every time and it just has more reach. I could spot Elk and Deer grazing off in a distant meadow easier with the bigger glass. If I had to get rid of one it would be an extremely hard decision. The big boy 10x50 SV might just be the one I would keep along with the Habicht 8x30 W porro. There is NOTHING that will give you the beautiful 3D view with just that high transmission sparkle that no other binocular has.

Have you tried comparing SV 10x50 or 10x42 to a Habicht 10x40 porro? A light, armored 10x40 W GA looks good on paper.

I had three 8x32's at once and I had to decide which one to keep. I had the Zeiss 8x32 FL, Nikon 8x32 EDG II and the Swarovski 8x32 SV. I compared them for many days under different conditions and they are all excellent binoculars. At the end of my subjective testing I ranked them Zeiss FL(Third), Nikon EDG II(Second) and the Swarovski SV(First). I kept the Swarovski SV and sold the other two. The EDG and the Swarovski beat the Zeiss FL because of their larger sweet spot and sharper edges. There is just more of the FOV that you can see sharply and clearer. I also preferred the slimmer barrels and the ergonomics of the EDG and the Swarovski over the thicker, shorter Zeiss.
All perfectly valid reasoning. Yet even if I shared all your assessments, my different set of requirements and preferences would lead me to a different ranking and a different purchasing decision.

Nothing wrong with your decision, for you, nor mine for me. It's nice that we have different options available to suit different people. I know the SV is a great set of binoculars - they just don't suit my preferences, in multiple ways. The FLs do. I'm pretty sure we both made the correct decision.

...Mike

I have the SV 8x32, SV 10x50 and the Habicht 8x30 W. I think the SV 8x32 is the best 8x, the SV 10x50 the best 10x and Habicht 8x30 W the best porro you can buy....the bigger 10x50 SV definitely outperformed the smaller 8x32 SV under those conditions. It really surprised me how steady I could hold the 10x also. It will show more detail than the 8x every time and it just has more reach. There is NOTHING that will give you the beautiful 3D view with just that high transmission sparkle that no other binocular has.

Have you tried comparing SV 10x50 or 10x42 to a Habicht 10x40 porro? A light, armored 10x40 W GA looks good on paper

SZ,

As per Dennis, I also own the Swaro 10x50 SV, the 8x32 SV, but sold my Habicht 8x30 W (like the SV 8x32 better) and kept the Habicht 10x40 W GA!

I know you directed your question to Dennis, but thought I might add some commentary on your comparison question. For sheer resolution, clarity, ease of view and stability, I reach for the EL 10x50 SV every time. For me, I can visualize almost the same depth and 3D effect with the 10x50 roof prism as the 10x40 porro, but with zero eye strain. I can resolve details an extra 10-15 minutes in extreme low light during dawn and dusk. The 10x50 offers easier eye placement and I also find the ergonomics and extra weight a benefit in hand holding a steadier image. For my eyes, the EL 10x50 SV places me in the FOV better than any other optics I've ever glassed with. Yes, the Habicht 10x40W GA is beautifully built with a superb optical view, but one that I'll save for use in extreme outdoor adventures. Otherwise, It'll stay in my optics arsenal as it is IMHO one of the best porros made, even over the wonderful Habicht 8x30 W!

Just My .02 cents,

Ted

Last edited:
I tried the 10X32 SV briefly and found eye placement to be very critical due to the small exit pupil. Other than that, the view was everything you would expect from an SV.

Is there any advantage the SV 10x32 has over 8x32? I have been comparing the SV 8x32 with UVHD 10x42 and it's hard to justify the need for the 10x. The 8x sees everything the 10x sees with less jitters. The smaller SV is good even in low light conditions. The only time the Leica 10x42 sees more detail when birding is when I sit and brace myself to reduce the shakes. If I use it after a brisk walk or hike it is hard to see any details until the heart rate comes down. The SV 8x32 is more forgiving. IMO the SV 8x32 is just perfection in fov, weight and balance.

"The 8x sees everything the 10x sees with less jitters."

Nah. You can see more detail with a 10x than an 8x. I just had my 8x32 SV and my 10x50 SV up at Rocky Mountain National Park outside of Estes Park in Colorado looking at distant Big Horn Sheep in the high rocky ridges and looking at Elk in the distant meadows. You can definitely see more detail with the big 10x easier. It just has more reach. The 10x50 SV is so balanced you would be surprised how steady you can hold it. That big 50mm aperture coupled with the 10x magnification gives you astounding views of distant objects. I would probably part with my 8x32 SV before I would the 10x50 SV. It is really not that heavy around your neck either.

I tried the 10X32 SV briefly and found eye placement to be very critical due to the small exit pupil. Other than that, the view was everything you would expect from an SV.
That is why you need the 10x50 SV. The big 5mm exit pupil makes it a really easy view for a 10x. There is a big difference even between a 10x42 and a 10x50.

Have you tried comparing SV 10x50 or 10x42 to a Habicht 10x40 porro? A light, armored 10x40 W GA looks good on paper.
I tried a 10x40 Habicht porro and although it was optically wonderful the FOV is just a little narrow for me. I think you would have to adjust to it. The 10x50 SV is unusual for a 10x50 in that it has a huge AFOV. That is a big reason I like it. Don't get me wrong. Optically I think the Habicht's probably have the very best optics of any binocular porro or roof but I find the 7x42 and the 10x42 Habicht to have to narrow of FOV for me anyway. Many people adjust to them and like them.

SZ,

As per Dennis, I also own the Swaro 10x50 SV, the 8x32 SV, but sold my Habicht 8x30 W (like the SV 8x32 better) and kept the Habicht 10x40 W GA!

I know you directed your question to Dennis, but thought I might add some commentary on your comparison question. For sheer resolution, clarity, ease of view and stability, I reach for the EL 10x50 SV every time. For me, I can visualize almost the same depth and 3D effect with the 10x50 roof prism as the 10x40 porro, but with zero eye strain. I can resolve details an extra 10-15 minutes in extreme low light during dawn and dusk. The 10x50 offers easier eye placement and I also find the ergonomics and extra weight a benefit in hand holding a steadier image. For my eyes, the EL 10x50 SV places me in the FOV better than any other optics I've ever glassed with. Yes, the Habicht 10x40W GA is beautifully built with a superb optical view, but one that I'll save for use in extreme outdoor adventures. Otherwise, It'll stay in my optics arsenal as it is IMHO one of the best porros made, even over the wonderful Habicht 8x30 W!

Just My .02 cents,

Ted
I agree with you on the 10x50 SV. It surprised me how steady I could hold it. It is one of the best binoculars I have ever looked through. It is remarkable how much DETAIL you can see with it especially under low light. The 8x32 SV is the best 8x, the 10x50 SV is the best 10x and any of the Habicht's are the best porro's you can buy IMO. I love the Habicht's for their 95% transmission. On a sunny day the view is just WOW. The first time I looked through a Habicht I couldn't believe how transparent the view was. No other binocular porro or roof is as transparent and transmits light like a Habicht.

Last edited:
I have the SV 8x32, SV 10x50 and the Habicht 8x30 W. I think the SV 8x32 is the best 8x, the SV 10x50 the best 10x and Habicht 8x30 W the best porro you can buy. Veiling glare is not a problem with any of them and is not any more excessive than any top alpha binocular I have tried and I have tried them all. I just had the 8x32 SV and the 10x50 SV up in Rocky Mountain National Park and I was searching for Big Horn Sheep in the craggy distant mountain tops and the bigger 10x50 SV definitely outperformed the smaller 8x32 SV under those conditions. It really surprised me how steady I could hold the 10x also. It will show more detail than the 8x every time and it just has more reach. I could spot Elk and Deer grazing off in a distant meadow easier with the bigger glass. If I had to get rid of one it would be an extremely hard decision. The big boy 10x50 SV might just be the one I would keep along with the Habicht 8x30 W porro. There is NOTHING that will give you the beautiful 3D view with just that high transmission sparkle that no other binocular has.

Dennis:

I disagree with your opinion of the Swaro. 8x30 Habicht as being
the best porro binocular. The Binomania comparison easily places the Nikon
SE 8x32 as being better in many ways. Some things are:

The SE is better with offering a flat field view with a much larger, and
better useable field of view, better correction of many optical aberrations
including more brilliance of color and brightness, and much better stray light
handling.

You like the Swarovski flat field designs and so do I. Nikon has been doing
this for a long time.

The only thing where the Habicht has an advantage, is in waterproofness.

It is a 60 year old design, new coatings only go so far.

Read the review, and learn and study. This is a side by side, not done
from memory.

Jerry

Dennis:

I disagree with your opinion of the Swaro. 8x30 Habicht as being
the best porro binocular. The Binomania comparison easily places the Nikon
SE 8x32 as being better in many ways. Some things are:

The SE is better with offering a flat field view with a much larger, and
better useable field of view, better correction of many optical aberrations
including more brilliance of color and brightness, and much better stray light
handling.

You like the Swarovski flat field designs and so do I. Nikon has been doing
this for a long time.

The only thing where the Habicht has an advantage, is in waterproofness.

It is a 60 year old design, new coatings only go so far.

Read the review, and learn and study. This is a side by side, not done
from memory.

Jerry
The Nikon SE 8x32 and the Habicht 8x30 are probably the two best porro's made for birding. I had both for a long time and I compared them under different conditions. Actually the FOV on the Habicht is larger at 408 feet versus 393 feet on the SE and it is noticeably bigger. The SE is flat field and it does control stray light better and the SE has sharper edges. But the longer I owned them both the more I found myself agreeing with Tobias's reviews. He says "The Habicht has a wonderfully bright and clear image with cleanest, vibrant and natural colours - which make the legendary Nikon 8x32 SE look a little bit dark and muddy (some say: mushy) in comparison. Combine high transmission and superb contrast even at the resolution limit and you have the sparkle of a top class optical system. The Habicht just shines in the twilight or on dull days, with finest colour nuances and extreme sharpness. In sunshine the image is just mindblowing sharp and beautiful." The Habicht has way higher light transmission than the SE and you really notice it. Saying the SE has more brilliance of color and brightness is just not true. The Habicht is considerably brighter than the SE having at least 5% higher transmission. MTF is the secret behind the Habicht's superior performance. In the Tobias review he quotes " The MTF values of the Nikon SE seem optimized for low frequencies/bigger structures (say, branches), which gives the images an almost electronic, oversharp impression - but also a sure WOW effect. For more details on our perception of sharpness check out this superb brochure from ARRI/Dr. Hans Kiening, page 8/9 and my article. The Habicht is for my taste better balanced in its MTF, and beats the Nikon in the contrast reproduction of fine details (MTF of high frequencies). Watching a test chart in 50 meters distance from a tripod I could not see a difference in resolving power - both of them are spectacular performers. But I did see a pleasantly richer, more lifelike, vivid image generally and especially in close-ups with the Swarovski. Given that you don´t have stray light in your image, the Habicht lets you see deep into the shadows and has a really nice highlight rolloff." The Habicht has an easier view than the SE also. You don't need to position your eyes as carefully as the SE. The Habicht also has better close up performance than the SE which is an outstanding feature on a porro because many are weak in this area. The FOV of the Habicht is wide angle also as Tobias says "With 136 meters field of view the Habicht is a true wideangle design and I would not be happy with less. The Nikon 8x32 SE has more of a tunnel view, and more so than the numbers would suggest (131m) because of the eyepiece design." The magic to me of the Habicht comes from the high light transmission. "The Nikon to my eyes looks darker than the Habicht 8x30 and the Swarovision 8x32, and its colours do not have the extreme clarity of the Austrian competitors. It really has to be seen in direct comparison because the Nikon does look very good on its own. For me this is obvious and my main quarrel with the Nikon - I do miss that magic of the Habicht´s 96% transmission. Both the SE and the Swarovski 8x42 SLC have a very good contrast transfer, and both definitely look darker than expected, as if the clean shadows and high contrast make the midtones look darker. This is a phenomenon I´d like to understand." I really agree with a lot of what Tobias says but it took me awhile and a lot of comparison before I saw all these differences and then I really started to appreciate the Habicht. It definitely has it's quirks with it's stiff focus and small eyecups but the eyecups can be corrected with the bigger GA eye cups and the you adapt to the focus. I think some of the differences between the Habicht and the SE lie in the better glass and more updated coatings in the Habicht. It takes some time to see the difference between the two but once you do you will not go back to the SE. It is just the transparency and sparkle the Habicht has that is missing in the SE and once you see that magic there is no going back.

The reviews from Binomania are sound and I agree with them with the optics I own.

The reviews from Tobias Mennie are suspect. He lost me when he called the Nikon EDG dark,
and his use of the word "sparkle".

The optical qualities of binoculars are measurable, as I have said above.

Jerry

The reviews from Binomania are sound and I agree with them with the optics I own.

The reviews from Tobias Mennie are suspect. He lost me when he called the Nikon EDG dark,
and his use of the word "sparkle".

The optical qualities of binoculars are measurable, as I have said above.

Jerry
I agree with Tobias. I compared the Nikon EDG for a long time to several alpha's and porro's I had and it is dark and that is the big reason I sold it. The EDG has a warm reddish color cast and it has low light transmission compared to other alpha's. Probably due to glass quality and coatings. It is noticeably darker than a Habicht 8x30 W or 8x32 SV. You can't understand sparkle until you use a Habicht 8x30 W in bright sunlight on a mountain meadow. High transmission binoculars will have an almost magical sparkle. Once you see it you will miss that magic in lower transmission binoculars. It makes the view beautiful.

I agree with Tobias. I compared the Nikon EDG for a long time to several alpha's and porro's I had and it is dark and that is the big reason I sold it. The EDG has a warm reddish color cast and it has low light transmission compared to other alpha's. Probably due to glass quality and coatings. It is noticeably darker than a Habicht 8x30 W or 8x32 SV. You can't understand sparkle until you use a Habicht 8x30 W in bright sunlight on a mountain meadow. High transmission binoculars will have an almost magical sparkle. Once you see it you will miss that magic in lower transmission binoculars. It makes the view beautiful.

Its magic! Never believe its not so. :eek!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzlK0OGpIRs

SZ,

Just My .02 cents,

Ted

Thanks for the feedback Ted. As much I am seduced by the glowing reviews and the reported balance of the SV 10x50 I don't think I can be comfortable with the size and weight. I did try them once along with the SV 10x42 and SF 10x42. The SV50 was very good, but it looked huge next to my UV 10x42 which has good optics, handling and size/weight. The SV50 obviously will be better in low light conditions compared to the SV32 that I adore. The extra 15oz and 1.5 inches of the SV50 is very noticeable compared to SV32 which is already big for a mid size bin and is the same length as the Leica UV 10x42. But, still if I use a SV50 for a week I might change my mind.

Thanks for the feedback Ted. As much I am seduced by the glowing reviews and the reported balance of the SV 10x50 I don't think I can be comfortable with the size and weight. I did try them once along with the SV 10x42 and SF 10x42. The SV50 was very good, but it looked huge next to my UV 10x42 which has good optics, handling and size/weight. The SV50 obviously will be better in low light conditions compared to the SV32 that I adore. The extra 15oz and 1.5 inches of the SV50 is very noticeable compared to SV32 which is already big for a mid size bin and is the same length as the Leica UV 10x42. But, still if I use a SV50 for a week I might change my mind.
The SV 10x50 is seductive. The view is so good you tolerate the size and weight. Once you use the bigger glass you miss that extra detail and reach it provides over the smaller glass. If I was going to hike 5 miles I would probably take the 8x32 SV but for shorter walks and glassing across open country from a stand the big 10x sure is nice. One thing that is really overlooked is how good the SV 10x50 is for astronomy. Some astronomers tested it compared to the Fujinon FXT 10x50 which is an iconic astronomical binocular on a multitude of deep sky objects and found the SV 10x50 was actually better than the Fujinon. So if you like astronomy and birding the SV 10x50 could be your perfect binocular.

Last edited:

I agree with you about anyone using a 10x50 as their everyday main binocular.
They are nice to look through, but too big and heavy and the performance of a
quality 10x42 is much the same.

That is why 42mm binoculars are the biggest seller.

Jerry

Last edited:
I agree with you about anyone using a 10x50 as their everyday main binocular.
They are nice to look through, but too big and heavy and the performance of a
quality 10x42 is much the same.

That is why 42mm binoculars are the biggest seller.

Jerry
No, the 10x50 SV is way different than a 10x42. I have had many 10x42's and honestly I never cared for any of them that much. I had trouble holding them steady and they always seemed a little finicky ,as far as, eye placement. The bigger exit pupil on the 10x50 makes a huge difference in easy eye placement and comfort. Of course the 50mm is better in low light than a 42mm. Where the 10x50 SV shines is in the balance of the binocular. It doesn't FEEL like a 50mm when you use it. It feels more like a 42mm in weight. The big thing that makes it so outstanding is the AFOV. It is HUGE for a 10x50. So you have this extremely detailed close up 10x view with a BIG FOV on top of it and edges that are sharp right to the field stop. The result is this amazing immersive field of view that is right on top of the bird. It is a WOW binocular if there ever was one.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back