• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Maven B.4 binocular line (1 Viewer)

rrybicki

Innocent bystander
United States
Hi Everybody,

I was on the Mavenbuilt site a few moments ago and it seems that they have introduced a new line. It is called the B.4 and it consists of two great big Abbe-Koenig style binoculars in 10x56 and 15x56.

I thought some of you might find this interesting. They are a bit heavy for me at 3lbs each.

$1300, stock.

Been studying up on binoculars here. Lots of good information. Thanks to all of you for creating this great resource.

Cheers,

Russ

Hi Everybody,

I was on the Mavenbuilt site a few moments ago and it seems that they have introduced a new line. It is called the B.4 and it consists of two great big Abbe-Koenig style binoculars in 10x56 and 15x56.

I thought some of you might find this interesting. They are a bit heavy for me at 3lbs each.

$1300, stock.

Been studying up on binoculars here. Lots of good information. Thanks to all of you for creating this great resource.

Cheers,

Russ

I didn't know that!

Probably a fine binocular BUT....

I took a quick look-see at 56mm binocular WEIGHTS from a few other makers...
Maven 15X56 & 10X56 same weight at 48oz.
Swarovski SLC 15X56- 42oz
Meopta Meostar 15X56- 43oz
Zeiss Conquest 10X56- 45oz

So they are certainly within the market weight...slightly heavy for the class but at that weight, does it matter? I can't help but think that the 56s are for the most part tripod use only. I've never owned any. I have a Kowa 88mm for that use.

When one drops down to 50-54mm you REALLY lighten things up and then we are back to hand-held instruments...

SV 10X50/12X50- 35oz
Meopta 10X50- 36oz
Zeiss HT 10x54- 36oz
Leica UV HD Plus 12x50- 35oz
Vortex Razor HD 12X50- 29oz |8.|

Pick any of the above and you have saved TWELVE OUNCES over the B.4.

I didn't know that!

So they are certainly within the market weight...slightly heavy for the class but at that weight, does it matter?

I suspect the weight difference is the use of abbe-koenig prisms in the Maven vs. the lighter and more compact schmidt pechan prisms used by the others.

I didn't know that!

So they are certainly within the market weight...slightly heavy for the class but at that weight, does it matter?

I suspect the weight difference is the use of abbe-koenig prisms in the Maven vs. the lighter and more compact schmidt pechan prisms used by the others.

I was being more facetious than anything about the weight, having experienced enough trouble trying to hold a 500g 10x30 steady.

Seriously, I know these would normally be held on a tripod. But what is the market for a binocular like this? Astronomy? Surveillance?

Russ

Seriously, I know these would normally be held on a tripod. But what is the market for a binocular like this? Astronomy? Surveillance?

Russ

Russ,

Most of the time I wouldn't want to go above 30oz for birding. Much more takes it's toll on the neck and arms after an hour or two. However I do have a 10x56 and 12x50 that weigh over 40oz that I do find very useful on occasions. The 12x is very steady in my hands (for short periods) and I can get about a third more detail, or range, than I can with my lighter 10x42. It seems more in gloomy conditions. The advantage of the 10x56 really kicks in when most birders have gone home. For instance, watching owls hunt by moonlight, I reckon I can seen bout 5 times smaller detail with my 10x56 than I can with my 8x42. The margin with a AK design might well be greater. Not used either of mine on a tripod in the field, but it's probably worth a try.

David

Last edited:
I was being more facetious than anything about the weight, having experienced enough trouble trying to hold a 500g 10x30 steady.

Russ

These are "Big Eyes" binoculars, commonly used by hunters when viewing wildlife from a distance.
Quality is needed for glassing for hours, and they are tripod mounted.

Do a net search of Big Eyes binoculars, and you may learn how they are used.
Often 15-16 X,and they are a pleasure to use, more comfortable than a spotting scope if that
is the power you prefer.

Also there are many Astronomy binoculars in the 15 X power range, very
nice for viewing the night sky.

For birding they are useful for viewing a marsh, at seaside, or any place you want to get
a distant view.

Jerry

Last edited:
I have the SV 12X50 I bought specifically for the above reasons. I thought I'd REALLY use them! I did a good bit in the winter too...waterfowl, shorebirds, etc. Nothing like I thought I would though. I found that the Kowa 88 on a tripod of course did a better job.

I've always wanted a Docter Nobilem...but I know I'd never use them...would be just a novelty....which is OK!

I've always wanted a Docter Nobilem...but I know I'd never use them...would be just a novelty....which is OK!

The Nobilem 15x60 is a splendid glass optically, but a heavy brute at near four pounds. I found it uncomfortable to hold without a support.
It is designed for hunting from a fixed site rather than for use while on foot.
It could be wonderful for astronomy observation given a parallax mount

The diopter correction spec of +/- 6 is impressive. Seems +/- 4 is common for many models. There are posts every so often asking about models with a large diopter spec, so this may be an option (although a big heavy option).

....... But what is the market for a binocular like this? Astronomy? Surveillance?

Russ

For me, it would be early morning and late evening game spotting. The 10X56 has a decent size exit pupil of 5.6mm which is a little larger than going with an 8X42 and there is also the additional twilight factor of a 10X. The big downside is the weight. If I were to deal with the hassle of a tripod, then I would use a scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back