• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact Binoculars. Which Pair for Under £50? (1 Viewer)

bongofury

What with my birthday looming and no doubt the inevitable questions as what to get me, now might be a good time to look at cheapish compact bins.

They would be used as a pair to put in my work bag for lunchtime walks in parks & by rivers so would need to be reasonably light and compact. Budget, ideally around £30 but might stretch to £50.

The Bushnell H20 8x25 seems to get ok reviews, but may be a bit heavy. Is there anything better?

Any advice welcome.

The Olympus 8x25 PC I is the one to go for at a shade over £50 on Amazon, probably.

I had the H20 but sold it for the Nikon 8x25 reverse porro as it was better and I picked it up really cheaply.

The H20 wasn't fully multicoated and not phase corrected. Poor close focus too.

I'm rather fond of the Carson 7x18 MiniScout bins that CliveP recommends:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carson-Min...1469576178&sr=8-10&keywords=carson+binoculars

They seem rather better than their price-point and format suggests if the eyepieces / eye-cups suit you (they do suit me). While they're hardly going to replace my 8x32 FLs, they do a surprisingly good job for such a small and inexpensive package. I've used mine mainly as an "easy to pack anywhere" set. I'll admit, though, that most of that use has been as "poor mans opera glasses" rather than birdwatching.

...Mike

Hi,

I'd agree that at that size and price point a reverse porro like the ones mentioned is probably the best bet.

I'm quite sure that a good roof cannot be made for 50 quid - not even in china.

Regards,

Joachim

Thanks all for the advice. I wouldn't have considered porros but it seems like the best option. I'll stick a Wanted thread on here and if that fails I'll get a new pair of those Olympus. Cheers.

Tend to agree the reverse porro is probably a good option, like the Olympus 8x25 PC I, one roof that is not at all bad is the Nikon Sportstar 8x25, might be a shade more than £50, i'm not sure, but they are a pretty good roof at that price point. I bought a used one to keep in the car, and find it ideal as a cheaper back up.

I keep a pair of Celestron Outland X 8 x 25 Compact Roof Prism Binoculars in my camera bag. They are small and good value at around £35.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back