• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need some advice (1 Viewer)

Jeroenalbers

Hello everybody, I need some advice.

A month ago i tried some Swarovski binoculars it was a whole new world for me such amazing views. So I had to have a Swarovski.

I bought a Swarovski SLC 8x30 WB MKII from 1992 it had a full overhaul from swarovski.. New lenses and everything.

I paid -€600 euro. The shop gave me a 3 month return time no questions asked.

I am having so much fun with this binocular I was wondering what if I buy the Swarovski SLC 8x42 HD... why wouldnt I want a new Swarovski for only 900 euro more. And 10 year warranty.

Am I missing out when I keep the "25 year old" Swarovski? Is the viewing experience the same with the 8x42 HD No extra gain except extra light?

Last edited:
Hi Jeroen,

My 2 cents:

I think that you'll miss the massive improvement there has been between 1992 Binos and actual ones.
I might be wrong (others will tell) but it's not because Swaro changed the lenses to new ones,
that you're getting the latest prisms, and optic formula in general, that will reduce chromatic aberrations etc...
One thing for sure, the 8x42 will be brighter.

If you really want to know the difference, you should pay a visit to one of the fantastics
specialized bino shops that you're lucky to have in your country.
Bring your Swaro, and compare.
You might find yourself finding another model, way cheaper than the SLC 8x42,
and optically better than your actual 8x30 WB (unless this Binos are a gem).

But the question to really ask yourself is this one:
"Do I really need 2 pairs of Binoculars for my use."
Getting "like new" Swaro for 600 Eur is already awesome by itself

Frankly I think you got a splendid deal with your 8x30.
Swaro service is recognized as superior, they even upgrade the hardware when they replace components, so your glass is probably better than new. :)

Spending 150% more money for another Swaro that will offer only small improvements in brightness and perhaps chromatic aberration makes little sense, at least imho.
Why not save that money and look for a decent scope? Swaro makes some really outstanding models, they hugely expand your reach when looking at water or shorebirds.

Hi Jeroen,

Welcome to BirdForum. Here's another $.02 worth.

My first binoculars were an 1992 8x30 SLC like yours, which I used for 12+ years. It's a wonderful, handy instrument that Swarovski eventually repaired into a Mark IV that I still have and occasionally use.

A few years ago I bought an 8x42 SLC-HD that's somewhat larger and heavier, but in my opinion much, much better than the 8x30. First, the 8x30 has a flat plate in front of the objective to make it waterproof. But that flat plate causes annoying reflections, depending on your orientation to the sun and veiling glare near sundown. The 8x30 also has shorter eye relief than the 8x42, and the interior walls of the objectives are generally not flat black. Shine a flashlight into the objective tubes and see how the inner walls of the 8x30 compare in blackness to the 8x42 SLC. This causes the 8x30 to have less image contrast.

My advise is to compare the two binoculars outdoors if you can, and decide on the basis of which one provides the best image and is the most natural and comfortable. You won't regret spending more money.

Please let us know what you decide.

Enjoy the view,
Ed

Id stay with what you have....some folks have to always be chasing the latest and greatest.....you have a great bin that gives you 98% of what the new offers....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back