• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick question regarding bird migration UK? (1 Viewer)

Lewisdowman

Hello People,

I'm writing a short story and would love your help in keeping the story as true to life as possible. I have tried researching this myself but didn't want to get it wrong and then for someone who knows there birds to tell me "you would never see this type of bird in the area you have set the story".

I would like to know what is the largest or a even just a medium sized bird that would migrate through middle or southern England around spring or this current time of year.

They can be migrating from any direction or be based in UK and just leaving to migrate to make my story work :-D

Hope you guys can help?

Thanks very much in advanced.

Kind Regards,

Lewis Dowman B :)

The regular spring migration is pretty much over by mid May and autumn migration won't start for a while. Most birds on the move in the UK around now are probably either vagrants or wandering non-breeders. There have been a number of Ospreys in unexpected places recently and I suppose they could be on an as yet fairly aimless journey south. I'm sure other forum members will have more sensible suggestions.

It begins with a trickle of small wading birds from the very end of June. Waders from the Arctic continue to pass through during July and August. One or two British species like Nightjars and Cuckoos depart early from mid July onwards. Swifts are mostly gone by mid August. However, the main autumn migration for most species takes place from mid September to mid October. Autumn migration is more protracted than in spring. In spring birds are in a hurry to get to the breeding grounds and down to business. In autumn there's no such urgency and birds can stop off at suitable feeding spots (e.g. Ospreys on southern estuaries) for up to two or three weeks before continuing.

It might be better if you decide on what species you want to feature and then ask again. Then we could be more precise.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back