• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Hi Craig
I think you did well to see Black Tern as it's an uncommon passge migrant, so well worth reporting to the reception at s'Albufera.
Regarding Glossy Ibis, a group of 57 have been reported today from the road from Casablanca to Sant Jordi.
Martin
Hi martin. I did that saw another black tern from the son bosc deck with a whisked tern. Also 4 bee eater and 2 collard pratincole.

Day two, a stroll round can currassa and north Albufereta. Cetti’s warbler, nightingale both singing, siskin and blackcap & finches. Plenty of swifts together with swallow, hse & sand Martins. Common sandpiper, Lt ringed plover as well as redshank. An Osprey flew over briefly at 11:25 & again abt 1:00pm

Debbie.

Collared pied-flycatcher

Hello
Yesterday in the area of Sa Roca in the N.P. de s'Albufera it was this lovely male of collard flycatcher.

Attachments

• Albicollis.jpg
    Albicollis.jpg
    929 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Back in Mallorca now and I see I have missed some great birds. A big invasion of Glossy Ibis so hopefully some will stay to breed as they did last year.
Good luck to all visiting birders, I hope to meet up with some of you later in the week. Mike

Its a shame there's no longer a species list at s'albufera as on asking staff of a list he just said no and failed to mention the flycatcher. Id have spent more time looking. It was very busy yesterday with a lot of disturbance.

Can Curassa yesterday gave us nightingale, cettis, yellow wagtail, common sand, raven & spotshank. Bocquer valley 1900-2000 had spotted & pied flycatcher, serin, kestrel, black redstart and wheatear. La Gola had greenshank but water levels seem low, has it been a dry winter? Haven't been to Can Curassa before, but a lot of it seems to have dried out already. Cala St Vincent today as, "This is not a birding holiday!!"

From the hotel this am i added male Osprey and dark phase Booted Eagle. Off to Marie de la salute today see whats about. Very cloudy today.

Just back after three hour stroll around the lanes at Llenaire.
Woodchat Shrike,Redstart,Pied & Spotted Fly,Black Vulture over,Golden Oriole calling in trees right next to me but I could not get onto the bird.Three Hoopoe on road up to hotel,Tree Pipet,Kestrel,Marsh Harrier x 2.
I spoke to three other birders who had seen three golden Oriole and a female Monty Harrier just minutes before I arrived,all seen from the road leading up to the Posh Hotel
They had also had Roller in this area on Saturday And Sunday

Bob

Day 3/4 We braved the cold up at Cuber Dam early this morning and were rewarded with a Spectacled and Moltoni's Warblers. There is a very vocal Moltoni's holding territory by the dam just at the back of the small concrete building with the electrical hazard signs. Yesterday we saw a similar range of migrants in the South part of s'Albefura and Bocquer valley to others and had a number of Balearic Warblers singing intermittently between 16.00-17.30 at the seaward end of Bocquer Valley - hard to see well in the stiff breeze. - Nick & Graham

Had a very enjoyable trip over to vilafranca de bonany, Where we had 2 female and a male Red Footed falcon. Google maps ref. .39.550613,3.121750 Also here were 3 Quail 6 Red Kites short toed lark, tawny pipit and Black kite. In campnet 7 Black Vultures took off from a field near glass factory.
Also a Roller at the entrance to Son Real this am.

Last edited:
Its a shame there's no longer a species list at s'albufera as on asking staff of a list he just said no and failed to mention the flycatcher. Id have spent more time looking. It was very busy yesterday with a lot of disturbance.
Hi Craig
Yes, it's a real shame. More so because of the reason - all Parc Naturalists throughout the island(s) (who tended to compile the lists) were sacked/made redundant several years ago as a result of continued government cuts. The staff try to maintain the lists so all sightings reported to reception are valuable.
Weekends are always very busy as local families traditionally visit the reserve.
Martin

Last edited:
Hi Craig, I was at Vilafranca at about 3pm and saw the same as you, two female Red-footed Falcons and one male but distant. The Red-foots always like sitting on the straw bales but there are few this year. I see that many vines have been planted, shame. I got some photos but very poor. Mike

Hi Craig, I was at Vilafranca at about 3pm and saw the same as you, two female Red-footed Falcons and one male but distant. The Red-foots always like sitting on the straw bales but there are few this year. I see that many vines have been planted, shame. I got some photos but very poor. Mike
Hi Mike Shame we missed each other, i too have shots but wont be great through the haze. Sat on wires had one in a tree that may be usable.

Collared Flycatcher still present this evening in compound behind visitor centre at s'Albefura. Earlier 4 Glossy Ibis and aSquacco Heron on the scrape at Sa Rico. - Nick & Graham

Just back after three hour stroll around the lanes at Llenaire.
Woodchat Shrike,Redstart,Pied & Spotted Fly,Black Vulture over,Golden Oriole calling in trees right next to me but I could not get onto the bird.Three Hoopoe on road up to hotel,Tree Pipet,Kestrel,Marsh Harrier x 2.
I spoke to three other birders who had seen three golden Oriole and a female Monty Harrier just minutes before I arrived,all seen from the road leading up to the Posh Hotel
They had also had Roller in this area on Saturday And Sunday

Bob

Great stuff Bob.
Whats the name of the "Posh" Hotel ?

Welcome Back Mike. :t:

No real birding today but still managed 2 Raven in Pollença old town and both male and female pied flycatcher back in Puerto Pollenca. (In the little park area just before you get to bocquer valley). Also there were lots of chiffchaff there too.

Debbie

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back