• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds trying to attack me (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

Barn swallows for the past week have been trying to attack. They live under people's porches. There is a nest next to the exist door in back of the house which I have to use in order to feed the other birds since I never seen any barn swallow birds eating from the bird feeders. They squeak and then straight to my face and I duck and at this point I am far from the nest. Today like 15 had me in a corner while I was trying to refill the bird feeder and water feeder. So I couldnt get anyting done so I started spraying them with the water hose but not directly. Most of them left. What is wrong with these birds? Are barn swallows known to be violent? Not even the crows or doves ever tried to attack me. These birds are making me look bad. In front of my neighbors by causing me embarrassment and making me look bad in front of other birds because during the process after I refilled the food and water and I was going to drop a cup of seeds on the grass those stupid birds came again trying to attack me. I am sure I sprayed the other birds while they were trying to get to the bird feeder all because of the barn swallow birds. I like I said I sprayed not directly at them but above them. I am tired of the barn swallows.

Don't be frightened of them! They won't hurt you, it's all bluff. They're just asking you to keep a polite distance from their nests and chicks. Just act normal around them, don't stare at them or their nests (that makes them think you're a predator after them) and they'll get used to you and bother you less.

They eat flying insects (mostly mosquitos) so it's good to have them around. That's why they don't come to your feeders, of course.

Don't be frightened of them! They won't hurt you, it's all bluff. They're just asking you to keep a polite distance from their nests and chicks. Just act normal around them, don't stare at them or their nests (that makes them think you're a predator after them) and they'll get used to you and bother you less.

They eat flying insects (mostly mosquitos) so it's good to have them around. That's why they don't come to your feeders, of course.

I didnt even look at the nest but next time they do this and its causing me not to be able to walk around freely I am going to have to spray them with water again. They get too close to my face. I have seen many videos of people getting hurt by birds attack them including a man who was bleeding from his face and an ambulance was called. All the birds leave when they see me but these birds fly around and get in my face - that lasted like 10 minutes today.

Hi MobiusX

If you weren't by their nests when this happened but out in your yard, I think they are merely trying to catch insects! You are possibly kicking up these pesky creatures as you walk and the swallows are making the most of the opportunity.

They only eat flying insects.

Swallows certainly do not attack people.

There is certainly no need to spray them with water. They are either doing what parents do to protect their youngsters or as Delia stated, out looking for insects to feed them.

All I know is they are going to my face too close and squeaking. And when I do they fly lower and still do the same thing.

I'd be pleased to have swallows flying around near me.
They are so wonderfully agile and beautiful, but sadly they never come very close to the passers by here in NYC Central Park.

I love birds, thats why I feed them and give then water but these bird swallows are interfering with this and they been doing this for a long time now and its annoying having to duck in my own backyard because they are coming for my head. Squirting water is the only thing that works and I did it again today and will do it tomorrow since they never stop trying to attack me.

You should try having Great Skuas dive bombing you then ;) Now, honestly, I can't see how Barn Swallows could hurt you. I think if you just let them do their thing you'll see it's mainly bluff?

Hi MobiusX,
I'm sorry to hear that you're getting harassed while trying to fill the feeders, but think that Nutcracker may be correct, swallows love water sprays and mists.
As you already have the feeders, maybe put up a water feature with them, ideally something with a little motion, a drip or a spray to supplement a flat basin where they can bathe. All your birds will love it, with luck you'll also get hummingbirds and maybe your swallows will be appeased.
Incidentally, swallows have huge mouths, but tiny beaks, so they would bounce off you without causing any damage. Be grateful that you're not getting mobbed by crows or blackbirds, they really can peck pretty convincingly.
Here in NYC, we used to have a Red Wing Blackbird called George who would exact tribute from the passers by and whack them on the head if they failed to deliver.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back