• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (34 Viewers)

The woman in the visitor centre at Sculthorpe told me that 4WD drive tracks appeared one night at the edge of the site, with evidence of crates being dragged i.e. the pheasants were put there, rather than commuting by themselves from Sandringham!

There's a male and a female, so perhaps you can count that as a self-sustaining population! Not really much less plastic than any of the other birds in the UK!

What are the differences between 'dodgy' and 'real' Golden pheasant? I have been told that dodgy males have a green throat, but are there any other features, and what about females?

What are the differences between 'dodgy' and 'real' Golden pheasant? I have been told that dodgy males have a green throat, but are there any other features, and what about females?

Not sure of many other characters, although presumably some features of Pheasants and Lady Amhersts Pheasants as these will probably be the two species they have hybridised with. As for the dark-throated (or green-throated) birds, several possible options have been muted as to why this is present on some of the Wolferton birds, ranging from these birds could by hybrids with Pheasants to a natural dark-throated mutation (which has been known to have occured in captivity). One of the Sculthorpe birds looks rather interesting, having a very pale head

C

Last edited:
It's "Christmas!!!" & another visit to the Outlaws in Norwich!!

Anyone been around Strumpshaw Fen recently?

I've got the day birding on Wednesday & not sure where to go -- Any Suggestions?:t:

Cheers! B :)

Des

It's "Christmas!!!" & another visit to the Outlaws in Norwich!!

Anyone been around Strumpshaw Fen recently?

I've got the day birding on Wednesday & not sure where to go -- Any Suggestions?:t:

Cheers! B :)

Des

Me and a friend were their last friday and had great views of the Bittern and Marsh Harrier from the fen hide, this is one of my fave Norfolk reserves, the longer you can spend the more you will see! You could also check out nearby Buckenham Marsh RSPB for waders, Raptors etc plus the always impressive flocks of wintering Wigeon, Pochard and Teal etc.

There's also a gem of a little spot called Brundall Church Fen reserve which I posted about in a previous post on this thread, located from the main road through Brundall by the church.

Matt

Not sure of many other characters, although presumably some features of Pheasants and Lady Amhersts Pheasants as these will probably be the two species they have hybridised with. As for the dark-throated (or green-throated) birds, several possible options have been muted as to why this is present on some of the Wolferton birds, ranging from these birds could by hybrids with Pheasants to a natural dark-throated mutation (which has been known to have occured in captivity). One of the Sculthorpe birds looks rather interesting, having a very pale head

C

Cheers Connor, although as you were the person I originally had the conversation with I was rather hoping somebody else would answer my question!

golden pheasants - sculthorpe

Here are two photos of one of the pheasants at Sculthorpe - showing the bright yellow head...
Tina

Attachments

• golden pheasant a_edited-1.jpg
    golden pheasant a_edited-1.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 77
  • golden pheasant b_edited-1.jpg
    golden pheasant b_edited-1.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 84
Local migration for me today: the north coast.
Began at Salthouse, after a trudge down the beach I came across the Glaucous Gull that has been present for a few days. I watched it feed on fish guts then take a short flight, great views. A snow bunting flew overhead, and back at the carpark the photographers were up close and personal with the buntings- reminded me of an andrex advert, but the puppies were snow buntings, if that makes sense.....

Off to Titchwell, plenty of Brents but I couldnt find the Brant. Offshore, a Red Necked Grebe was fishing, as was a RB Merganser and a few Goldeneye. Sanderling and Turnstones on the beach, 50 odd snow bunts flew over.

Finished at Wareham Greens. A Short eared Owl was a pleasure to watch, and just as I was about to leave a Ring Tailed Hen Harrier flew past. Super stuff. Walking back to the car, 30+ Grey Partridge were calling from the fields and 2 Barn Owls began their hunting. Cracking end to a very productive day.

Cheers,
Jim.

Titchwell December 22nd

Yesterday's highlights

Jack snipe - 1 flushed from an area with no access
Brambling - 2 on feeders
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Eider - 21 offshore
Snow bunting - 50 on beach
Lapwing - 1292 on lagoons
Golden plover - 2100 on lagoons
Spotted redshank - 4 on saltmarsh
Lesser redpoll - 4 over carpark

Sorry for the late posting

Paul

Please could somebody give me directions on how to view the raptor roost at Stubb Mill? Thanks. Years ago I used to park up in the NT (?) car park and walk along a muddy track and across wet field and view from a path along a ditch, looking north-ish over the reedbed. This track led east to the delapidated windmill. Anyway, last winter I went there and it was very difficult to see over the reedbed due to the height of the willows lining the ditch. I assume there is somewhere better!
Thanks in advance.

Waxwings

4 at Snettisham RSPB this afternoon in bushes along visitor trail just north of the 2nd set of steps until 3.30pm at least. 1 west over Titchwell @ 08.20 this morning.
Not sure where all these birds are going but I have had at least 20 over west in the last week.

We have now finished for most of the holiday period so postings will probably scarce.
Hope you all have an enjoyable Christmas B :) and a bird-filled 2009.

Paul and the Titchwell team B

Not sure where all these birds are going but I have had at least 20 over west in the last week.

Hope you all have an enjoyable Christmas B :) and a bird-filled 2009.

Paul and the Titchwell team B

Probably in some carefully placed void just east of Holme ;) In all seriousness could it relate to one group of birds with the general lack of reports elsewhere?

Good to see you and Ben today at Titchwell, fairly quiet on the whole but Black Brant, Peregrine, Hen Harrier, Spotshank, 40 Snow Buntings.

Merry Christmas to everyone and a special thanks to all those who helped make my 2008 another special year -be it fellow patch-workers, friends for a bit of banter and good company, those who helped with info and planning trips etc. - you know who you are :t:

Lets hope next year is just as good.

C

Please could somebody give me directions on how to view the raptor roost at Stubb Mill? Thanks. Years ago I used to park up in the NT (?) car park and walk along a muddy track and across wet field and view from a path along a ditch, looking north-ish over the reedbed. This track led east to the delapidated windmill. Anyway, last winter I went there and it was very difficult to see over the reedbed due to the height of the willows lining the ditch. I assume there is somewhere better!
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you are probably remembering the Horsey side, it all fits.... and after a wet spell of weather you run the risk of veering slightly off the muddy path and ending up in the ditch as well. Lovely.

Anyway, Stubb Mill is nice and easy. Park at Hickling NWT reserve carpark (turn off in Hickling village by the Greyhound pub, and then first left, all signposted). From the carpark, walk ~200m back to the crossroads, turn right, and then continue down to the mill, where there's now a nice raised platform. Driving down to the mill is prohibited, and anyway, there's often stuff to see (incl Cranes) on the way down.

No ditches and good viewing - the only potential problem is the sheer number of people. If you are able to avoid weekends, you might enjoy the spectacle and peace and quiet a bit more... or maybe I'm just anti-social!

Map >here< - shout if you want any more details.

waxwings

Conneoor Rand;13633r34 said:
Probably in some ca refully placed voidjust eas of Holme ;) In all seriousness could it relate to one group of birds withthe genneral lack of reports elsewhere?
echomputers gone completely on the blink so bear with me.v
d
think, since the first influx there has been a very small trickle of waxwings moving west along the north coast. add one west over sheringham early December, 2 reported west over sheringham golf course aend h ad a singleton west at cley on Saturday. Appears to be a small influx in Norfolk and Suffolk recently, but this is surely down to more observers because of the holidays. Titchwell well watched site so could be reflective of a steady passage that has been relatively undetected in dec.

Merry Christmas to everyone and a special thanks to all those who helped make my 2008 another special year -be it fellow patch-workers, friends for a bit of banter and good company, those who helped with info and planning trips etc. - you know who you are :t:

Lets hope next year is just as good.

C

Merry Christmas to you Connor and to everyone else. Excellent cakes by the way!!!

Looking forward to birding over the christmas period, boxing day and Saturday, can't wait to get out, even though my new job (this week) is probably the best thing I have ever done:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

managed a quick watch in between the Christmas stuff - Long-tailed Duck - scarce round these parts also:-
12 Common Scoter
4 Ringed Plover
Knotd
Guillemot
c30 Red-throated Diver

happy holidays, everyone

Last edited:
Titchwell Sightings, 24th December,

A quiet day but highlights included
Velvet scoter -1 offshore
Great Northern diver -1 flew west
Snow bunting -9 around beach
Pintail -50 on fresh marsh
Golden plover -2000+
Lapwing 1800+
2 woodcock -just flew past my window

Happy Christmas everyone,

Ben

Mery Christmas everyone and have an equally productive 2009 (or more productive if you thought 2008 was naff)

Nice frosty, sunny day here in Norfolk (when I look out of the window;)) unlike yesterday (christmas day) which was dull with no sun all day - wish I had got up earlier now, but will go out today and see whats about. Did see a huge flock of fieldfares near Ringstead Mill yesterday on the way to parents for christmas dinner.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I noticed there were still thousands of Pink-Footed Geese in the beet fields next to Cherry Tree Garden Centre at Fritton, when I drove past yesterday morning. They were very close to the road and were a great sight on a rather grey Christmas morning. I was also able to enjoy watching around a dozen Fieldfares eating the fallen apples in my sister's orchard at Haddiscoe. My sort of birdwatching.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back