• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (29 Viewers)

"Maybe we could have a list, top 10 hides in the county, for this interesting sport"

Er, no thanks.
To change back to a more wholesome subject, i had at least 157 Blackbirds heading N.E. over the garden at dusk. Could be worth looking out for another Siberian Thrush.

Last edited:
After what has seemed like a very long winter, nice to see some signs of spring at last with a Black Redstart in Overstrand late afternoon.

Also Grey Wagtail and 4 Buzzards over, although the latter may just have been local birds.

The W Runton Med Gull is looking rather fine now in its summer attire.

Quite a number of flocks of Starlings moving through too over the last couple of days.

Simon

Attachments

• BlkRed7.jpg
    BlkRed7.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 88
  • BlkRed11.jpg
    BlkRed11.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 104
  • MedGull1.jpg
    MedGull1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 88
"Maybe we could have a list, top 10 hides in the county, for this interesting sport"

Er, no thanks.
To change back to a more wholesome subject, i had at least 157 Blackbirds heading N.E. over the garden at dusk. Could be worth looking out for another Siberian Thrush.

MEGA: Siberian Thrush, King's Lynn back garden, in large aviary having been taken into care. £10 per person to enter. All proceeds to me. Please note, for really good views and photos, answers to the name Coco. Assumed to be of wild origin.

This is a joke

I was going to delete my post for being risque, but Connor, I don't think I need to now, your post should certainly throw a few cats amongst the pigeons !!

Winterton, this afternoon, held very little in the way of migrants. i.e none
I see someone had a swallow over norwich which bodes well but you know what they say "one swallow doesn't make a summer" I reckon it will be snowing again next week.

I was going to delete my post for being risque, but Connor, I don't think I need to now, your post should certainly throw a few cats amongst the pigeons !!

good to see your entering the spirit of 'risque' post's on public forums Connor, but see there are still some vestiges of timidity in your small fonted explanatory 'this is a joke' line, surely it should have read

THIS IS A JOKE, BUT IT WASN'T THAT

FUNNY AT THE TIME
(FOR PEOPLE WHO TWITCHED IT HE HE)

I saw my first Wheatear of the year at work this afternoon in the Stanta army training area. Also a few Buzzards around this morning and a flock of 200+ Redwing.

Lewis

good to see your entering the spirit of 'risque' post's on public forums Connor, but see there are still some vestiges of timidity in your small fonted explanatory 'this is a joke' line, surely it should have read

FUNNY AT THE TIME

It still isn't......!

Cracking day out and about and it was made even better by dumping into this!

For some reason I decided to look at the 'big white bag' in the top of the wood and was surprised to see that it was a bird and not a bag. Scoped it and realised it was an egret which had to be great white considering its size and the fact I was probably half a mile from it. The bird was present until at least 16:15 but by the time I had got back to the car at Choseley barns and returned it had gone. I did check the saltmarsh at Titchwell and Thornham but no further sign.

Spent the morning at Titchwell and had 2 trees sparrows over west, snow bunting still around the beach boardwalk and a load of avocets on the fresh marsh. At least 4 velvet scoter were just offshore. Finally caught up with the funny tufted duck (or hybrid) - I have posted some images on the ID forum if you are interested.

Paul

Attachments

• GWE1.jpg
    GWE1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 88
  • GWE2.jpg
    GWE2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 86
Winterton, this afternoon, held very little in the way of migrants. i.e none
I see someone had a swallow over norwich which bodes well but you know what they say "one swallow doesn't make a summer" I reckon it will be snowing again next week.

Better not be! I shall be home for a few weeks and will want to see those migrants! Will pack the sun and heat in my suitcase from Argentina!

Sue

Buckenham Thurs morning:
One littoralis Rock Pipit with 3 Water Pipits on slubbings from ditch near the pub, Avocet 12, Golden Plover 7.
Cheers,
Jono

FUNNY AT THE TIME

Josh. The Sib Thrush seems not to go away!! What people with do to get them name into the BBRC report.

Mark Cocker in "Birders tales of a tribe" tells the story of a birder who made a wooden model of a black lark and submitted it - he got found out!!

The moral if there is one, is the only rarities you find are real ones!!! Not ones in cages or in the workshop!! You will get found out!!

As for Connor's boldness - He gets extra brownie points from me - do hope he has got a good solicitor though or he can run fast!!!:cat::cat:

As for Connor's boldness - He gets extra brownie points from me - do hope he has got a good solicitor though or he can run fast!!!:cat::cat:

Fear not ... I'll give him a lift!

Brancaster freshmarsh today yielded a very smart Snow Bunting heading for summer finery which pitched down for 10 minutes before flying west. 4 Sand Martins also heading west and a Firecrest in the belt of trees at the northern end of Gipsy Lane before you emerge onto the seawall - heard only and would not show itself despite some lip numbing and fairly energetic pishing!

Irene

Nice to find my first Wheatear of the year today with a nice male along the clifftop footpath at West Runton this afternoon before it disappeared off into the ploughed field.

Even better was a patch Mega in the form of a pair of Bearded Tits which flew east calling away along the cliffs below Cromer golf course at lunchtime, my first record ever for the patch.

Yesterday produced a couple more patch year ticks with a Peregrine circling over Overstrand seafront before eventually heading off purposely inland, and a redhead Goosander which flew east along the tideline.

Simon

Attachments

• Wheatear1.jpg
    Wheatear1.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 113
Cracking firecrest in scots pines and ivy covered trees by the summerhouse in the Titchwell carpark this afternoon also 2 male stonechat, 7 sand martins west and a singing chiffchaff on the Meadow Trail.

Paul

New speed cameras on A149 & The Waterside

For those on a life-or-death twitch on the A149 to the Broads, from just north of Stalham towards Great Yarmouth, these things appeared last week, on gantries above the road. They are protected from ramming by the disgruntled owners of vehicles, but can be approached from the sides and behind by cattle with a little nous !

They perform an ‘Average Speed Check’ which, as far as I’m aware, is the first time in county: http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co....gory=news&itemid=NOED18 Mar 2010 15:47:13:193

To return to Rollesby, which remains firmly on the A149, this website now seems to have complete functionality: http://www.thewatersiderollesby.co.uk . Opening 29th inst.

The menu for the restaurant in the evening is ambitious and suitably contemporary; I’ll probably have to make do with a panini whilst, with any luck, watching a Pandion depleting the fish stocks of the Broad.

Last edited:
At last, one Little Ringed Plover on Buckenham this morning, plus 11 Dunlin, 3 Water Pipit, 2 Avocet, 14 Golden Plover.

One female Goldeneye on Whitlingham at 1pm yesterday.

Cheers
Jono

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker calling in the grounds of the Nunnery, Thetford, this morning - the first one I've had here for eight years (they used to be annual at least). Hope it sticks around.

Firecrest still showing well at Titchwell this afternoon. It was flycatching in the willows between the carpark and VC. Also woodcock in the gereral area.
4 chiffchaffs today, male wheatear on the grazing meadow and water pipit on the fresh marsh. At least 13 velvet scoter offshore and showing well with the flock close in. Most birds seem to be females and immature males but there was one cracking adult male this afternoon.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back