• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (23 Viewers)

Three jays flew over Holme Marsh Reserve this evening (never seen three here together before), along with barn owl and marsh harrier seen.

Penny:girl:

What are folk thinking regarding this Jay movement? Gs Woodpecker also being picked up in unusual circumstances and numbers. Presumably a food source proving abundant and birds stocking up before the weather hits. Thank-you to all for posting sightings here, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can suggest a reason/theory.

A much earlier post mentioned many long-tailed Tits; this too I can echo from my wanderings. Have they done rather well this year?
Cheers,
Jim.

What are folk thinking regarding this Jay movement? Gs Woodpecker also being picked up in unusual circumstances and numbers. Presumably a food source proving abundant and birds stocking up before the weather hits. Thank-you to all for posting sightings here, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can suggest a reason/theory.

A much earlier post mentioned many long-tailed Tits; this too I can echo from my wanderings. Have they done rather well this year?
Cheers,
Jim.

Don't often comment but feel the need to here. I have seen so many Jays lately (Norwich area). Just a suggestion, could it be that 'Knopper galls' are causing Jays to search for areas where there are gall free acorns? Obviously you would need to work out where there a large numbers of Jays and where there aren't and if this correlates to acorn availability. As I said - Just a suggestion!

Article here http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wi...jays-and-squirrels-go-hungry-this-autumn.aspx

I seem to recall back in the early eighties there was a huge influx of Jays along the Norfolk coast, referred to as the Great Jay Invasion. No doubt older Norfolk birders will probably recall it.

The usual reason for an influx of jays is a failure in the acorn crop in central\northern Europe. Mind you from what I have seen the acorns are not good in Norfolk this year. Last yearwas a bumper crop and its common following a good acorn year for most trees to fail.

The strange thing is I am not seeing many jays on the coast( working at Stiffkey and Warham over the last 2 days and have not seen a single one ) , yet last week there was a steady movement west over Fakenham , though numbers were low , perhaps a dozen a day. Still odd ones going over this week.

There are still plenty of spoonbills about and had the most unineresting group of 8 yesterday. For the whole 4 hours I was watching them they were all fast asleep and no once did they untuck their heads or make any movement. It was a bit like watching paint dry. Thank god there were plenty of wigeon and pintail to distract me.

Last edited:
Only a Pec Sand (!) the pipit was erroneous! Lovely bird in super light!

Only a Pec indeed (and I did find one last year) but still a good bird.

It was not there when I checked Kelling WM at around 10.30 so must have arrived just as I was leaving. That is why it was a tad annoying.

Nice to meet some of the local birders on the beach today. Can't imagine much gets past the area with the few but 'quality' birders there.

As for Jays .... Plenty seen moving inland nearer Norwich in last few days but none seen over Blakeney Point or on coast today.. So not sure where they are originating from. But they do appear to be on the move in strange locations!

I've read quite a few articles recently about Acute Oak Decline, there seem to be many threats from foreign invaders to our native tree at the moment and as a consequence our woodland birds. Sure its not the main reason but might be having an effect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19167307

also interesting one about Jay behaviour

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/19660267

I can confirm the 'clever' behaviour mentioned in the above article. I had tame Jay on my balcony in Battersea (London) that was so smart it worked out where the ham I would sometimes feed it was kept (in the fridge!). It started pecking on the window to be let in and would sit on the fridge waiting.
It even brought me a plastic bead once and dropped it at my feet.
Sounds made up.. But there is a photo of the Jay sitting on my shoulders on my blog for those that don't believe it

Garrulous Garrulus ?

I don’t know what this means (!), but I 'asked' Trektellen to tellen me about the numbers of migrating Jays in Europe in the last month. The following is the result: http://www.trektellen.nl/doortrekpa...bd=4&bm=9&bj=2012&ed=4&em=10&ej=2012&schaal=7

Changing the scaling gives this:http://www.trektellen.nl/doortrekpa...bd=4&bm=9&bj=2012&ed=4&em=10&ej=2012&schaal=1

Does someone on here understand these things. Help !

An afterthought: Shirley, if there is an acorn crop failure, this’ll have an adverse effect on the squirrel population.

Last edited:
Would the acorn failure theory also explain why I see one blog in Norfolk mentioning a viz mig Nuthatch and the fact that I've had a Nuthatch on my feeder for the first time?
The Nuthatch in my garden has also been feeding on seed on the concrete ground, something I have never seen before!

Has anyone else seen a spread of Nuthatches or birds in unusual places this Autumn?

Would the acorn failure theory also explain why I see one blog in Norfolk mentioning a viz mig Nuthatch and the fact that I've had a Nuthatch on my feeder for the first time?
The Nuthatch in my garden has also been feeding on seed on the concrete ground, something I have never seen before!

Has anyone else seen a spread of Nuthatches or birds in unusual places this Autumn?

Third record in my garden in 15 years, also third record in 20 years in a Weybourne garden.
John

Interesting.. My Nuthatch is the first one I have seen in my village (Salle) although they do breed within a few miles of here

Could this be linked to the movement of Jays or is this just a population increase??

Nuthatches: There has been a nuthatch in The Dell area at Wells woods for several weeks now and I heard three different ones along Holkham meals last week. They do breed very close in Holkham park so could have made the move at last. A well known holkham birder told me that he averaged one record a year from Hokham Pines, so something is going on. There have also been possibly 2 Nuthatches on thefeeders at Titchwell.

I don’t know what this means (!), but I 'asked' Trektellen to tellen me about the numbers of migrating Jays in Europe in the last month. The following is the result: http://www.trektellen.nl/doortrekpa...bd=4&bm=9&bj=2012&ed=4&em=10&ej=2012&schaal=7

Changing the scaling gives this:http://www.trektellen.nl/doortrekpa...bd=4&bm=9&bj=2012&ed=4&em=10&ej=2012&schaal=1

There's plenty of talk on Twitter etc about the Jay 'influx'.

One or two other stats from Trektellen: 11 of the top 25 highest ever Jay counts (in Trek) from British viz-mig sites have occurred since 20/09/2012, including the record count of 63 from Sandwich Bay yesterday (03/10/2012).

12 of the top 25 highest counts in Belgium were in September this year, though by comparison, only 2/25 of top counts in Netherlands have been this autumn (so far). Trektellen is Dutch-based, so I guess there's more data in there from Netherlands than anywhere else. I can't explain/understand why the Jay movement doesn't seem so obvious there than it does here / Belgium.

There have been instances of groups seen coming 'in off' ('in-off', in/off?) in SE England in the last few days, e.g. 34 at Bockhill, Kent 29/09/2012.

Having said that, it would surely be wrong to assume that Jays in odd locations are of continental origin (not that anyone is) because 'our' Jays are a) always more detectable at this time of year anyway, and b) the poor acorn crop is presumably causing them to have to move further in search of food.

There's interesting reading on the subject of the 'big Jay autumn' of 1983 (which featured 896 passing over St. Margaret's 02/10/1983, part of a guestimated movement of 1,500 on that date) in the Kent Bird Report 1983 and in BB: Vol 78, 611-637 (Dec 1985).

An afterthought: Shirley, if there is an acorn crop failure, this’ll have an adverse effect on the squirrel population.

Anecdotal reports of loads more Grey Squirrels around - and dead on the roads! - at the moment. Are they struggling to find / cache enough food and therefore having to move around more??

Last edited:

A couple of graphs that might be of interest: Nuthatch reporting rates across Britain and Norfolk from BirdTrack this year, compared to the 7 year average. Numbers along the bottom are weeks of the year - we're part way through week 40, hence I left that week out.

The Norfolk data is pretty 'noisy'... something I'm sure local readers of this thread will be keen to address! ;)

Attachments

• NH_reporting_rate_Britain.jpg
    NH_reporting_rate_Britain.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 68
  • NH_reporting_rate_Norfolk.jpg
    NH_reporting_rate_Norfolk.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 68
9+ Jays moved west then south west over Burnham Deepdale 5 minutes agp.
Quite something to see, pictures to follow!

Edit: distant shots now attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
We have noticed a real increase in jay numbers around Swaffham in the last week, then this morning I had a flock of nine mixed in with seven magpies. My parents (again near Swaffham) have had nuthatch coming to the feeders this week which is the first time in the 10+ years they have lived there. Also seeing a lot more squirrels locally in the last three weeks, including loads of dead ones.

Next a question... I've got a friend visiting on Saturday and we are hoping to get out and see some birds and get some nice photos. Torn between heading towards Titchwell or Cley, any advice on which might provide more photo opportunities?

Heard there were 50 over this morning, somewhere around the Kelling area. Re Squirrels one was happily running over the marsh half way between Salthouse duckpond and little eye.

Pec Sand still on the water meadows

John

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Heard there were 50 over this morning, somewhere around the Kelling area. Re Squirrels one was happily running over the marsh half way between Salthouse duckpond and little eye.

Pec Sand still on the water meadows

John

Beauty! Just has to hang on until tomorrow....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back