• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conquest HD eyecup issue question (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

I have been reading posts about the apparent inferior/cheap/ defective eye cups on the Zeiss Conquest HD.
I am wondering if this issue has been great exaggerated, or is it still a concern even on the current production models?

Was, or is, this a problem ONLY on the 8x42 power, or throughout the line?

Should this issue stop one from buying them? I ask this because all the professional and user reviews have all be overwhelming positive, with just a
very small percentage mentioning this eye cup issue. Cabela's 7 user reviews ALL give it 5 stars without even a mention of this so called eye cup issue.

Same deal with ALL of Amazon, Optics Planet and B&H Photo's reviews also! Not a SINGLE mention of this issue!

This leads me to believe this is a VERY minor issue that the mast majority of users even notice. So is this nick picking by the users complaining about this,
or a valid reason NOT to purchase them?? I am an eyeglass wear, but my glasses are small and sit close to my face.

The conquest 10 x 42 is a binocular that fits my strict requirements perfectly.....small minimum IPD, great eye relief and good close focus and good looking!

Any thoughts??

Last edited:
I have been reading posts about the apparent inferior/cheap/ defective eye cups on the Zeiss Conquest HD.
I am wondering if this issue has been great exaggerated, or is it still a concern even on the current production models?

Was, or is, this a problem ONLY on the 8x42 power, or throughout the line?

Should this issue stop one from buying them? I ask this because all the professional and user reviews have all be overwhelming positive, with just a
very small percentage mentioning this eye cup issue. Cabela's 7 user reviews ALL give it 5 stars without even a mention of this so called eye cup issue.
Same deal with ALL of B&H Photo's reviews also!

The conquest 10 x 42 is a binocular that fits my strict requirements perfectly.....small minimum IPD, great eye relief and good close focus and good looking!

Any thoughts??

The Zeiss Conquest 10x42 is a very nice binocular. I feel it is the
best value in its price range. A great center view and very bright.

Don't be bothered by the eyecup thing.

I have this had this one, for almost a year now, and I recommend going ahead with a purchase.
Zeiss will take care of you if you need some help.

Jerry

Last edited:
So are the eye cups similar to the Monarch 5, 7? Or the Vortex Diamondback? Im just trying to understand what make them "cheap"? Monarchs and Vortex cups seem fine to me!

So are the eye cups similar to the Monarch 5, 7? Or the Vortex Diamondback? Im just trying to understand what make them "cheap"? Monarchs and Vortex cups seem fine to me!

What I meant by a cheaper type is that they are not made to the
higher standards of a Zeiss FL and more expensive binoculars.
Those are made of metal and offer a more secure build.

The Conquest twist-up eyecups are similar to the Monarchs, and
they will do just fine.

The Conquest eyecups do screw-off and allow a proper cleaning
of the lenses and that is a good thing.

Jerry

There have been reports of issues with the Conquest HD eyecups on BF. I don't know about the eyecups being cheap or defective, the issue that has bothered some owners on BF was they felt the eyecups were too short for the ER.

I've encountered this myself with two bins - the Vixen 7x50 Foresta and the 6x30 Yosemite. In both cases, I had to hold the bins back from my eyes to avoid blackouts. Obviously from the reviews you read and Jerry's post, there are plenty of users who have no problem with the Conquest eyecups. But it apparently affects enough for Zeiss to make longer replacement eyecups. As I recall, it was the 8x42 model that had the most complaints.

What I think Jerry meant about not to be "worried about the eyecup thing" because "Zeiss will take care of you" is that Zeiss will send you longer replacement eyecups for free if the eyecups are too short for your eyes. I PMd Mike Jensen about this a while ago, and at that time, they were just getting out their first batch of replacement eyecups. So you should be set in case you do have a problem with the eyecup height.

That fixable issue aside, this new version of the Conquest has been very well received by professional reviewers and amateurs alike. I had my eye on the 8x42 model myself, which is why I queried Mike about the replacement eyecups.

Brock

Would love to know how the Conquest would compare to the Zen Ray Prime HD?! Chinese built vs German built?
Is the whole "made in germany" thing a bit overrated I wonder....

Would love to know how the Conquest would compare to the Zen Ray Prime HD?! Chinese built vs German built?
Is the whole "made in germany" thing a bit overrated I wonder....

"with parts made in other countries..." Who knows? As discussed before, Germany plays pretty fast and loose with the label the way the US used to before Congress clearly defined the requirements for a product to be labeled "Made in USA," but only certain industries: automobiles, textiles, wool, and fur products.

Some German legislators have been pushing for a tighter restrictions for using "Made in Germany," but AFAIK, to date there has been no law made to this effect in Germany.

Made_in_USA

Brock

Zeiss isn't covering up anything here!

Zeiss has been manufacturing binoculars outside of Germany for quite some time and never hid the fact.

The small 8x20 and 10x25 Victorys are "Made by Carl Zeiss in Hungary" as noted on my 8x20.

The Zeiss Terra ED is made in China. It says so on that binocular too. Zeiss oversees the quality control. There is a thread here about that. I'm sure, if you look around the binocular forum, you can find comparisons of it with other Chinese made binoculars.

Even Leica makes binoculars in Portugal. It says so right on my 8x42 Ultravid BL.

Bob

I have a recent pair of Conquest HD 8x42's. The eyecaps feel a little 'stiff' and clunky in use - compared to the rest of the binocular. However, they work just fine. Eyeglasses on or off. Absolutely NO reason not to buy a pair. I can't speak for anyone else, but yes, you could say that I'm nitpicking when I mention them.

Having both the prime and the conquest I will say qued nailed it with the clunky description. The binoculars theirself are outstanding and for me the eye cups are a non issue. I usually pull them out to what I need with my glasses and there they stay.

Zen Primes are great in the optics department, really really good. They feel solid and are very comfortable to use. They fall down on the little things, like my serial number tag fell off. Fortunately I found it, and reglued it back in. The focus isnt quite as smooth as the Conquest, and the rubber armor had a slight smell that still lingers but is much less than when I first got them. Eye cups are better on the Prime.

I wouldnt feel badly using either one for the rest of my days.

I wouldnt say the made in Germany is overplayed, it does cost more upfront but if you were to need to sell one down the road, made in Germany commands a bit more respect than made in China. With Zeiss, you can be pretty sure the company will be operating a long time down the road. As for Zen Ray, Vortex, Alpen, Endeavor and many others who market optics, if things go south with China at some point they may well close their doors. At that point the warranty becomes a moot point.

The warranty is only as good as the company who stands behind it. Currently, Zen is excellent from what I hear. But 20 years from now? You pays your money, you takes your chances.

perterra,
Excellent point about the rock solid reputation with Zeiss, a 100 year old company with strong profits, compared to the others mentioned and that is an aspect to seriously consider, I think. Of the companies you mentioned, I think Vortex would be the strongest and have the most staying power over the next twenty years or so, but who really knows, just my opinion!
Vortex appears to have such a huge, loyal following, even more so than Zen Ray.

Last edited:
perterra,
Excellent point about the rock solid reputation with Zeiss, a 100 year old company with strong profits, compared to the others mentioned and that is an aspect to seriously consider, I think. Of the companies you mentioned, I think Vortex would be the strongest and have the most staying power over the next twenty years or so, but who really knows, just my opinion!
Vortex appears to have such a huge, loyal following, even more so than Zen Ray.

There are a whole lot of Vortex binocs being used.

If there were to be some sort of trade embargo on China, then those who market but dont manufacture and dont have side deals with Japanese or Philippine makers will be starting from scratch.

Vortex could probably pull it off, they are tied to Atlas and Eagle, it would probably thin their offering, but they could probably pull it off. Others who depend on chinbins for their whole product offering, they might be set back several years.

I wouldnt let that stop me from buying one, but it's just something else to think about.

Well after reading dozens upon dozens of ALL overwhelming positive reviews on the Conquest HD, I have come to
the conclusion that this whole eye cup issue is nothing more than user nit-picking!. Just spend some time and check out the reviews on Eagle Optics, Optics Planet, Amazon, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, B&H Photo, Bird Watcing.com, binoculars.com, hayneedle, sportoptics.com and on and on....barely a SINGLE mention of this issue! And I would bet the majority of these users are NON eye glass wearers, which is supposedly the folks it affects the most! It seems this issue MAY
affect 5% or less of users, from what I can tell.

Sorry, that is just how I see it and don't mean to be blunt and offensive.

Last edited:
Well after reading dozens upon dozens of ALL overwhelming positive reviews on the Conquest HD, I have come to
the conclusion that this whole eye cup issue is nothing more than user nit-picking!. Just spend some time and check out the reviews on Eagle Optics, Optics Planet, Amazon, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, B&H Photo, Bird Watcing.com, binoculars.com, hayneedle and on and on....barely a SINGLE mention of this issue! And I would bet the majority of these users are NON eye glass wearers, which is supposedly the folks it affects the most! It seems this issue MAY

I wouldnt call it nit picking in all cases. I'm sure some are nit picking, but for many it's more a case of it's not a problem until it is. It's the reason there are so many different brands. I could get by just fine with a pair of Leupold yosemites the rest of my days and not feel short changed. Many cant.

the conclusion that this whole eye cup issue is nothing more than user nit-picking!. Just spend some time and check out the reviews on Eagle Optics, Optics Planet, Amazon, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, B&H Photo, Bird Watcing.com, binoculars.com, hayneedle, sportoptics.com and on and on....barely a SINGLE mention of this issue! And I would bet the majority of these users are NON eye glass wearers, which is supposedly the folks it affects the most! It seems this issue MAY

For some of us the problem is very real. I went to an optic show in Columbus OH. to upgrade my starter set of Atlas Intrepid s ( very good value by the way) and the Conquest was at the top of the list. Even when Stephen Ingram of Zeiss put the new eyecups in a pair I still got the "kidney beaning" just not as bad. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is more than the eye cups as the 10x42's gave me no problem at all even though bu published figures they offer slightly less eye relief. I wound up with the Kowa Genesis 8.5X44 at the Eagle Optic Demo price and I am a very happy camper.
Steve

This so-called nitpicking was strong enough that Zeiss made the eyecups longer to accommodate users like us nitpickers who complained there we either too much or not enough eye relief compensation. They are still poorly made IMO and don't do the brand justice but on my 8x32's have solved the problem completely with regards to non-eyeglass wearer use seeing the complete field with ZERO blackouts. These now give me the same ergonomic view my 8x42 HT's do.

CSG,
I understand, but I still wonder why this issue is NEVER mentioned as being a problem or concern in the dozens and dozens of other on-liner retailers websites under user reviews? You just dont see this issue being discussed at all!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back