• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (2 Viewers)

Am impressed with your Hawfinches Jos!...How frequent are they in your abode? Presume you have baited them with Sunflower seeds?

From March, pretty regular, usually breeding hereabouts.

I don't bait in particular for them, but they are attracted by the usual garden feeders - they will also use the peanut feeders, but do prefer sunflowers. Also drink in my pond.

This is the first year, I have a ground level window, hence nice angle for the shots through the window ...would be better to open the window next time for sharper results.

Don't expect me to post anything more remotely interesting ... I just used up my yard list luck for several years at least!
Yesterday I had two Fish Crows fly across chasing a red-tailed hawk. Fish crows are far from a common species here: there are less than 20 records for the province, and this is the first county record!

27. Song Sparrow

Was very surprised to be able to hear spring peepers (frogs) from a few hundred metres away, means that screech-owl and woodcock should be possible.

This should have been 28, and with a few more common raptors:

29. Fish Crow
30. Turkey Vulture
31. Sharp-shinned Hawk

Grey skies this morning!....first for a couple of weeks?..with a few Redwings skirting the tree tops, plus..still!..a single Redpoll on the feeders (4 more days could make this a 4 month stayer!!).

Enough of this!..must get back to the all important window..If I'm to break 'H's stranglehold on the 60's. :)

Four Hawfinches coming to the window this morning, plus a layer of snow!

Attachments

• Hawfinch gar 5.jpg
    Hawfinch gar 5.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Hawfinch gar 4.jpg
    Hawfinch gar 4.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 42
Quite a few new ones in the past few days, although none have been summer migrants:

46 - Kestrel
47 - Meadow Pipit
48 - Coal Tit
49 - Linnet
50 - Reed Bunting

After months of rain and overcast conditions, the weather of the last few days has been gloriously sunny; a portent of the beautiful winter weather to come.

For that reason, dawn found me abroad in the forest enjoying the 'Red Arrow" and "Blue Arrow" walking tracks in dense tropical rainforest before the former at least became infested with joggers.

Seeing a Red-legged Pademelon (a small forest wallaby) was great and something I would never see at home, despite home being only half a kilometre away (rather like many birds that are so-near yet so-far...) plus excellent but brief views of a Noisy Pitta, a bird I'm a little more hopeful of adding to the 'garden' list sometime this year.

Definitely not a day for standing in the Car Park out front, so a friend's pool beckoned...

Life (even without any new birds for the home list) has been pretty good today.

This is just criminal...is their no end to this one-upmanship

In mitigation, I offer as a plea bargain a garden list still trailing pitifully behind yours in terms of species total :t: And with more snow and temperatures barely climbing above freezing, it ain't going to rise significantly for quite some days to come.

Managed to add three today at Labanonas, Robin in the forest, Rooks in the meadow and, despite the cold and snow, my first White Storks of the year, two winging their way over.

Labanoras.

52. White Stork.
53. Robin.
54. Rook.

Last edited:
In mitigation, I offer as a plea bargain a garden list still trailing pitifully behind yours in terms of species total :t: And with more snow and temperatures barely climbing above freezing, it ain't going to rise significantly for quite some days to come.

Am just placing the bow across the violin......;)

87. My earliest Common Whitethroat (unless it was a Sardinian Warbler)

That's really really early...........not heard of any Whitethroats in Sussex yet.

Edit: Just looked up the earliest C Whitethroat date for Sussex which is 19 March and the 10 year average is 31 March. What a good record you've got for 'oop north'.

Last edited:
It's finally paid off..........got both today!

54) Treecreeper
55) Goldcrest

No problem with the latter...but BIG problems with the former! Only seen two in 29 years! (from the house)...a case of ''not being able to see the wood for the trees''...Am now feeling decidedly uncomfortable ;)

No problem with the latter...but BIG problems with the former! Only seen two in 29 years! (from the house)...a case of ''not being able to see the wood for the trees''...Am now feeling decidedly uncomfortable ;)

Aaah but I have a mature broadleaf copse within close binocular view..........should really have got it much earlier than now and feeling a bit miffed that it's taken 4 months to record it!

That's really really early...........not heard of any Whitethroats in Sussex yet.

Edit: Just looked up the earliest C Whitethroat date for Sussex which is 19 March and the 10 year average is 31 March. What a good record you've got for 'oop north'.

On my patch April 12th is my earliest record. Ten days later is the mean date. These coastal patchers always get their records earlier for every species, it seems. (Jane's garden is almost exactly as far north as mine.)
I'm still waiting on Sand martin, and Swallow now overdue, today is my earliest date for both House martin & Willow warbler - raining here this am., which might be OK for migrants...

... still to see any hirundines from the garden, let alone Common Whitethroat (and we're only a mile or so from the coast, in the south) ...

Good record for Jane, not sure if any have even been reported in Cornwall anywhere yet.

Came close to a new addition - a Grey Heron parachuted in to the one patch of river I can see from the window at home whilst I was out this morning at the shops. Back home ten minutes later and no sign, unfortunately.

... still to see any hirundines from the garden, let alone Common Whitethroat (and we're only a mile or so from the coast, in the south) ...

Good record for Jane, not sure if any have even been reported in Cornwall anywhere yet.

Came close to a new addition - a Grey Heron parachuted in to the one patch of river I can see from the window at home whilst I was out this morning at the shops. Back home ten minutes later and no sign, unfortunately.

Herroneous more likely......;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back