• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peterson's App for NA Birds (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Only .99 from ITunes. Getting some good reviews from my local listserv and I am downloading it now. Big app though.

I use iBird Pro also, am downloading the Peterson now to my iPad. Will have to see which I like best.

Oh good. Let me know what you think Lisa. Took me forever to figure out what I was doing wrong when I was trying to download the Peterson's. Didn't realize the app button on the iPad was in the off position.

For 99 cents the Peterson's is definitely worth it. I've used iBird Pro for a long time, but like the Peterson's from what I've gone through today. Looks like they used the same plates as in the book. It is not quite as intuitive as iBird, but is easy to navigate once you get into it. Peterson's is easy to add your life list to - if you keep one. Took me a few minutes but once I figured it out, and quit hitting the wrong tag it worked like a charm.
The main differences:
- Peterson uses drawings, just like his book while the iBird uses photos so that could be a determining factor for some.
- Peterson's looks like it might have more details on the specific bird, once you get to the specific "page".
- Peterson's is definitely cheaper right now, don't know what the normal cost is - iBird is something like 19.00 for the pro version, they have cheaper geographic versions.
- You can't see some of your favorite photographers photos on Peterson like you can iBird (ok shameless self promoting, but I have a couple of photos in the iBird one).
Overall I would have to say get Peterson if you have none, and even if you have iBird for 99 cents this is a great buy.

KC, I was so impressed that I would probably buy it at the regular price, whatever that is. Gotta love gift cards.

With as many thumbs up I got on my listserv, I figured I had to see for myself. I'm glad I did.

Hi Folks, I'm the developer of the Peterson app. Thanks for the support and glad to hear you like it. Lisa, you can add your own photos - or those of other photogs - to the species detail pages in the Peterson app. Nice way to catalog the photos you take. Also, you're right about the detail. We include more information than in any other guide (content is taken from 8 Peterson field guide books).

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we have a lively support forum. Or you can post here.

All the best,

Nigel

App Guy - you did a great job on this one. Now I wish I had an iPhone instead of an Android so I could have it on my phone also.

Thanks Lisa for your review... For .99 it sounds well worth it....yes.... You need it on your phone! Jim

Jim, you're welcome. I hope it will come out for an Android soon. Seriously thinking of going for a iPhone next time anyways.

I like a bird app on phone... It allows me to not carry a guide book... Space n weight... But allows me to listen to bird calls to see if I correctly ID them.... N to learn em...

Well, I've had a few days with this app and I am quite pleased with it.

A word of caution. Was on the back deck going through the various elements and stupidly tried the call sound out on the Red-shouldered Hawk to see how true it was. Well, every single bird in my yard went flying. Won't do that again. I felt terrible for scaring them.

KC, I'm laughing but know I shouldn't be. At least you know it sounds realistic.

Can I download the Peterson app in the UK?

I have tried both iTunes and App Store and neither point the way to the Peterson app of NA birds

Is the app available in the UK? If so, what's its name? And, from where do I download it?

Incidentally, I see that the iBirds Pro is available at a much reduced price at the moment!

Thanks in advance of a reply

I have no idea if it is available in the UK tw but Apple has toll free numbers that you can inquire about such. Don't know whether it would be the same as ours but you can try.

800-My Apple.

I hope more of these types of things get written for Android. I get tired of being envious hearing about all the wonderful iphone things.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back