• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Sandpipers (2 Viewers)

NAL1212

Here Are Some More Shorebirds All Take In August And All At Fermi Labs In Batavia Illinois. Iding These Birds Is More Of A Challenge Than I Thought It Would Be.

Attachments

• P1010876.jpg
    P1010876.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 182
  • P1010859.jpg
    P1010859.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 165
  • P1010652.jpg
    P1010652.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 178
I think the first two pictures are Lesser Yellowlegs. I say that because of the very spotty, brown back, the strongly yellow legs and the lack of a very strong eye ring. I don't think it is a Greater because the streaking doesn't go far enough down the side and the bill is neither upturned nor bicolored.

The third picture has a number of birds including a Semipalmated Plover, a number of Pectoral Sandpipers and I think your Yellowlegs.

With that said, I wouldn't call myself a shorebird expert. I'd wait and get a few more opinions on these birds before naming their species.

NAL1212 said:
Here Are Some More Shorebirds All Take In August And All At Fermi Labs In Batavia Illinois. Iding These Birds Is More Of A Challenge Than I Thought It Would Be.

Affe is correct. The first two are Lesser Yellowlegs, and the third contains mainly Pectoral Sandpipers, 1 Semipalmated Plover, and (2) Lesser Yellowlegs.

Nice pics!

Thanks

adampaul said:
I agree with affe that the first two photos are Lesser Yellowlegs. I also recently had an ID question on Yellowlegs (although mine turned out to be Greater). In that thread, JanJ posted a couple of veryhelpful links:

http://www.geocities.com/tgrey41/Pages/LesserYellowlegsp.html
http://www.geocities.com/tgrey41/Pages/GreaterYellowlegsp.html

Rgds,
_Adam
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ID HELP. THE GEOCITIES WEBSITE IS TERRIFIC, IN THE PICTURES AND TEXT THAT IT USES.

NAL1212

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back