• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cameron Loch,Fife (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
My Grandfather was responsible for draining the land before Cameron Loch,well..became a Loch,many,many,years ago.It is now 30+ years since I last visited the Loch and Radernie area.Is the Loch still as good for birding as it was,all those years ago ? I would love to hear from "Fifers",who may live in,or birdwatch in the area ? Also loved going up Drumcarra Hill.Any info,most welcome.

It's actually a few years since I've been there but I always reckoned it was a decent place. It still gets used by quite large numbers of Pink-feet, gets Whooper Swans occasionally, Smew are fairly regular as well as commoner waterfowl. Short-eared Owls used to be fairly regular in the rough fields at the western end. The woodland around the reservoir is quite good too - often a good spot for Crossbills.

Thanks Andrew

Thanks for that Andrew,much appreciated.I remember back in the early 70s,while crossing the fields between Radernie School (where my Aunt lived) and Cameron Loch,I had a look in an old outbuilding and about s**t myself,when a Barn Owl flew out from roosting,just missing my face..! Glad to hear the Loch still holds a healthy poulation of Geese.My first "Barnie" ever and I still love them.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back