• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (29 Viewers)

A few staying up for the cricket - James, Secret?!

Not staying up too late myself - going to try for some pre-work Waxwing shots at Colton. Will watch the first hour.

Which Colton is that Steve? Off the A64 or A63? Though I expect it's the A64 which rules out a trip. If it is the other then that's an easy walk but I'm not that fortunate.

While on the redpoll subject, I saw a couple of lessers near home just over a week ago and one of them still had a lot of pink on the breast. Is that unusual at this time of year?

Secret, a good candidate for Common - very pale super, largely unstreaked undertail coverts. Any more shots with the rump showing?

Nah sorry Lawts, I didn't really get a view of the rump before it was off out of view. I think I had best call it a maybe and leave it unticked. There will be plenty more opportunity this winter.

Didn't stay up for the cricket though I caught the tail end whilst getting up for that plover this morning (which had gone at first light btw!).

Had Smew and 6 Goldeneye on Calder behind Slazengers sports club in Horbury today along with 3 hunting Sprawks and a Kez. Lost my bloody eyecup for scope though trampeling up a hill in the snow! It was loose but didn't think it would slip off.Anyone know if I can order a replacement? Opticron 20-60 eyepiece.

And what are the chances of Little Auka and/or Pom Skua at Flamborough tomorrow do we think? ANyone off?

Nah sorry Lawts, I didn't really get a view of the rump before it was off out of view. I think I had best call it a maybe and leave it unticked. There will be plenty more opportunity this winter.

Didn't stay up for the cricket though I caught the tail end whilst getting up for that plover this morning (which had gone at first light btw!).

Had Smew and 6 Goldeneye on Calder behind Slazengers sports club in Horbury today along with 3 hunting Sprawks and a Kez. Lost my bloody eyecup for scope though trampeling up a hill in the snow! It was loose but didn't think it would slip off.Anyone know if I can order a replacement? Opticron 20-60 eyepiece.

And what are the chances of Little Auka and/or Pom Skua at Flamborough tomorrow do we think? ANyone off?

You defo can. I got one for the 20 - 60 direct from Opticron.

Watched the first few overs and despite what was happening I managed to nod off and woke at lunch.

mystery gull?

This fellow was hanging around with the black-headed gulls on the river in wetherby-juvenile?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
and the goosanders are still about,and a pied waggie walking about on the ice in the middle of the river-never miss an opportunity to feed!

Nice picture of a young common gull. To be strictly accurate the bird is in first winter plumage, juvenile plumage would have no grey on the back(mantle) and have a much less neatly defined change in colour on the bill.
This fellow was hanging around with the black-headed gulls on the river in wetherby-juvenile?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
and the goosanders are still about,and a pied waggie walking about on the ice in the middle of the river-never miss an opportunity to feed!

30+ waxwings at Wetherby 8.00am this morning. In the trees at the end of the wooden fence beside the A168 between Stonebeck and the services roundabout. They pose for pictures, but you have to ignore the nice waggon drivers tooting their horns when they see you taking photos.

30+ waxwings at Wetherby 8.00am this morning. In the trees at the end of the wooden fence beside the A168 between Stonebeck and the services roundabout. They pose for pictures, but you have to ignore the nice waggon drivers tooting their horns when they see you taking photos.

Sandbeck not Stonebeck. D'ohhh!

I am SO pleased, today I went shopping for Christmas decorations in Leeds market, didn't find a single thing I wanted there but I did happen to step outside and see around fifteen "pale-looking starlings" which flew over my head and into a berry tree next to one of the stalls.....
AT LONG LAST! WAXWINGS!!! I literally started jumping up and down shouting "OH MY GOD, WAXWINGS!!" at my partner who was giggling away, random passers by also stopped to look at what all the fuss was about, I don't think they understood..!

There goes my planned waxwing hunt for tomorrow, not that I mind of course!

Thankfully I have been completely on the look out for anything starling-shaped these past few weeks so my eyes locked onto them immediately, then I noticed the colour and then finally they landed infront of me!

Anyone who wants a nice, central place to see waxwings, try the back part of Leeds market! You can always have a wander around the stalls and buy some things while you're searching.

I'm amazed at just how much they look like starlings, they even mixed themselves amongst starlings in a tree and the only way to tell them apart then was the crest!

Had a quick look this afty and couldn't see any - Stephanie were they feeding in the hawthorns - couldn't see any Rowans or other berry trees?

A few still present this morning at Colton Retail Park by the Travellodge.

Cheers Steve, didn't get the chance today. Hopefully they'll be there tomorrow and I can nip up.

Had a quick look this afty and couldn't see any - Stephanie were they feeding in the hawthorns - couldn't see any Rowans or other berry trees?

A few still present this morning at Colton Retail Park by the Travellodge.

They were in the taller bushes, I presume hawthorns, they were occasionally dropping down into the small berry bushes almost at ground level. Right where the wooden fence ends, you might have seen my welly prints in the snow at the end of the fence. Lots of redwings there too.
Stephie

I am SO pleased, today I went shopping for Christmas decorations in Leeds market, didn't find a single thing I wanted there but I did happen to step outside and see around fifteen "pale-looking starlings" which flew over my head and into a berry tree next to one of the stalls.....
AT LONG LAST! WAXWINGS!!! I literally started jumping up and down shouting "OH MY GOD, WAXWINGS!!" at my partner who was giggling away, random passers by also stopped to look at what all the fuss was about, I don't think they understood..!

There goes my planned waxwing hunt for tomorrow, not that I mind of course!

Thankfully I have been completely on the look out for anything starling-shaped these past few weeks so my eyes locked onto them immediately, then I noticed the colour and then finally they landed infront of me!

Anyone who wants a nice, central place to see waxwings, try the back part of Leeds market! You can always have a wander around the stalls and buy some things while you're searching.

I'm amazed at just how much they look like starlings, they even mixed themselves amongst starlings in a tree and the only way to tell them apart then was the crest!

Nice one! It's lovely to hear how someone seeing a new bird can be so exciting and really make them happy.

Cheers for help RE eyecup, Denby Dale not too far away so might have a ride out.

No Pom Skua or Little Auk at Flamborough yesterday but did pick up Lapland Bunting and thoroughly enjoyed a good seawatch so by no means a wasted journey. Again, report on blog.

A Leeds Victory, a KP double century and winning a bit of money at the bookies made it a bloody good day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back