• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caterpillars, London WWT (1 Viewer)

mathare

Carrying a compact camera while I bird has opened my eyes to more of nature and it's about time I tried to get some IDs for some of the critters I have snapped over the past few months.

The attached caterpillars were both seen at London WWT.

The first was seen on 11th March this year.
The second was seen this afternoon (16th June).

I realise I haven't really included much alongside them for scale but I hope someone can help narrow down their identities. I also don't really know where to start when it comes to identifying these things so if there is pertinent information I have omitted, let me know and I'll try to fill in the gaps

Thanks
Mat

Attachments

• P1020183.JPG
    P1020183.JPG
    649.8 KB · Views: 19
  • P1020189.JPG
    P1020189.JPG
    798.5 KB · Views: 20
  • P1020194.JPG
    P1020194.JPG
    589 KB · Views: 24
  • P1030030.JPG
    P1030030.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 14
  • P1030032.JPG
    P1030032.JPG
    353.1 KB · Views: 24
Hi Mat

(I must have missed you today)

The second one is probably a Six-spot Burnet moth caterpillar. We get two species on site, it and the Narrow-bordered 5-spot - an adult of the latter has already been seen.

The first is a bit trickier as it is a noctuid and there are a few similar-looking species but I'd say Large Yellow Underwing.

Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back