• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

Hey there

managed to refind the Boner in ploughed fields near Sea Palling tonight. Exceptionally good views too. Near Lound farm. Parking is very tricky though as it's a single track road with nowhere to pull off. It's not on the pager for this reason. So be sensible if you try looking around the area. It may well be in these fields quite often... The bird has moulted a couple of its tail feathers on its left (2/3rd?) creating quite a distinctive pattern.

Also had a large-billed and sizeable Dunlin that dwarfed the other Dunlin there (presumably alpina) on Rush Hill.

Hairy Dragons and a sleep in the sun at Waxham... top weekend.

Tim

Last edited:
Red-foot at Hickling

Hi all

Poor light and distant views, but I'm pretty sure I had a female Red-footed Falcon at Hickling this evening. It was making use of the line of trees at the east end of Bygrave's Marsh (TG433213), near the tower, on the other side of the river/broad, about 800m away. Watched perched and in flight between 2045-2115. Very pale head (especially hindcollar/nape) with isolated dark facial patch most obvious when perched. Hint of orange breast when perched and in flight (when colouration on underparts extending to underwings). I know this sounds a tad tentative, but it really was getting rather dusky at this time! Would be good if someone could get some better views tomorrow. Would best be viewed from the east edge of the NWT reserve. Presumably the bird that flew along the coast the other day.

Near the tower, also heard the Quail briefly. Bit odd this - surrounded by reedbeds and oak trees. I suppose the sound probably drifted over from nearby fields, unless there's a really excellent mimic amongst the acro warblers here...

Cheers

Andy Musgrove

Sounds promising Andy. The east side of the reserve has proven to be popular with Red-foots in the past; hopefully it'll hang around and someone can confirm for you...

James

Last edited:
Lots of hours, but few flowers yesterday, but caught up with a few good birds. 7.30 am - Rush Hill scrape, no sign of the Bony, but a couple of Cranes and a few Bearded Tits stopped the trip being entirely wasted. From there to Salthouse, where Little Stint, Greenshank and Yellow Wagtail showed themeselves. Cley produced a booming, but invisable Bittern and lots more Bearded Tits. From there to the end of Blakeney Point and back, which despite my hopes, produced very little except a nice pale phase Arctic Skua sitting on the beach and a large blister on my left big toe. From there to Stiffkey Fen, which had an LRP on it, but little else of note. From there to Titchwell, via a nice view of a female Montagu's Harrier near Burnham Overy Straithe, which I noticed as I was driving. Five Little Gulls, a stonking male Garganey a few more Bearded Tits and a prrring Turtle Dove proved to be the highlights there. From there to Holme, where I got excellant views of a pair of Red-crested Pochards. The trip home from there involved another fly-by Montagu's Harrier, a distant Buzzard and three Barn Owls. Didn't find anything as rare as I was hoping, but got more than 100 species in the day!

p.s. Andy I'll go and check out this red-foot tonight, as I still need the gull too.

Last edited:
Fantastic morning yesterday with eight different Golden Orioles at Lakenheath, three of which flew into Norfolk and perched in the Poplars there. A Garganey added to the three Grasshopper Warblers whilst the early morning mist swirled around the Mute Swans giving a really serene feel (or would have done if the Rave going on hadn't spoilt it!
Later a drink at the Nelson's head after photographing Broad-bodied Chaser and Hairy Dragonfly at Horsey Mere (and having a talk with Tim) went down well in the sun.
Sue

Dull, rainy, cold day

Went to Kelling Water Meadows in the morning, nothing special there but saw common whitethroat, hedgesparrow, grey partridge, egyptian goose, wood pigeons, gadwall, shelduck, common and great black backed gull, blackcap, chiffchaff and thats about it! Nothing on sea!

Moved on to Kelling Heath, nothing there either!!!!!! Oh apart from a nice pair of Stonechats in the rain, few linnets and a jay!

Cley was much more productive at 4pm, from Dauks Hide and had Pectoral Sandpiper and Temminck's Stint being the highlights, along with avocets, couple of common sandpipers, redshank, gadwall, shelducks, sand martins, house martins and swallows skimming the water, male marsh harrier, shovelar, bearded tits pinging in the reeds, reed buntings, little egret, reed and sedge warbler, greenfinch, willow warbler. Went up to Cley visitor centre for loo stop, cakes were tempting but declined when I found out how expensive they were!

Penny:girl:

Fantastic morning yesterday with eight different Golden Orioles at Lakenheath, three of which flew into Norfolk and perched in the Poplars there. A Garganey added to the three Grasshopper Warblers whilst the early morning mist swirled around the Mute Swans giving a really serene feel (or would have done if the Rave going on hadn't spoilt it!
Later a drink at the Nelson's head after photographing Broad-bodied Chaser and Hairy Dragonfly at Horsey Mere (and having a talk with Tim) went down well in the sun.
Sue

Hi Sue
Just wondering if I passed you at Lakenheath? I was there from 0700 till 1130, wearing blue baseball cap, carrying old Opticron Scope. Fantastic morning despite the cool wind and grey sky. Brief report placed on the Suffolk thread. I only managed 5 Orioles (3m 2f). Did you see the cranes? fantastic sight seeing them fly over.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Sue
Just wondering if I passed you at Lakenheath? I was there from 0700 till 1130, wearing blue baseball cap, carrying old Opticron Scope. Fantastic morning despite the cool wind and grey sky. Brief report placed on the Suffolk thread. I only managed 5 Orioles (3m 2f). Did you see the cranes? fantastic sight seeing them fly over.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin
We may have passed on the river bank. I was on the bank from 5am until about 7.15am and then in the visitors' centre and car park until about 7.45am.
I heard the cranes but did not see them. At 5am there were only a few of us there, a real shame considering how active the Orioles were!

I have had my hair cut a bit so I need a new photo, but will have to wait for someone to take one for me!
Sue

Of interest so far today...

Temmincks’ Stint Cley on Simmonds and at Hickling Rush Hill

Bonapartes Gull Hickling Rush Hill at 08.35

Broad-billed Sandpiper Breydon Water South wall TG 499 070 but not since 09.55

Bee-eater Winterton North Dunes, flew north at 08.40

Red-backed Shrike male Weybourne Camp east of radar near beach this morning

James

Also uncomfirmed report of a male Citrine Wag near Denver. Two birding friends who live in Denver are very anxious for info if neone has ne.

Alas not! They have searched the area this evening but they were not sure which bridge was meant, so they searched all the rail bridges in the area. Just a Grey Wag was all they could find...

Connor

Jobs to do this morning, but couldn't stand it any longer and escaped this afternoon.

Arrived Great Ryburgh Watchpoint 3pm. Incredibly hot standing here, what a contrast from yesterday, wearing wool hat, today was wearing a sunhat!!! Had good views of 3 common buzzards, hobby, little egret, heron and a pair of grey partridge!

At a private nature reserve in Norfolk I had one of the most enriching couple of hours I have ever had. I had intended to go on to Weybourne to see the Red Backed shrike, but was enjoying myself so much, could not be bothered!!!

Male marsh harrier crashing through trees being mobbed by a carrion crow. 1 heron by the river, several mistle thrushes, 2 egyptian geese 1 cuckoo, 1 yellow hammer and greenfinches in hedge. 2 Broad borded bee hawks!!!!1, 2 banded demoseilles, 5 grey wagtails flitting about on pebbles in middle of stream, pied wagtails, lesser spotted woodpecker (nearly had a heart attack!) within minutes of seeing a great spotted woodpecker, shortly after that a kingfisher flashed past, pair of tawny owls erupted from a tree stump right in front of me - seriously made me jump! Another great spotted woodpecker in wood, a different marsh harrier and back where my car was parked, while having a cup of tea, a barn owl came at great speed across me, carrying a vole and being frantically chased by a very verbal mistle thrush!!!!! WOW!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
we had nice views of a singing Firecrest

I haven't got Firecrest on my Norfolk list |:$|, I don't suppose you could give me a pointer to a reliable site? I'm down there next week (hopefully a prelude to moving down permanently within the next twelve months) I see from the most recent Norfolk Bird Report that there are plenty around - but I can't find them!

Thanks

Tim

Hi, i've a couple of decent spells of free time coming up in the next few weeks so hoping to get to grips with a few of the further-flung Norfolk spots / birds. And as it'll be by train, bike & foot i'm reasonably keen to avoid unnecessary 20 mile detours

But as i arent sure this is the done thing or not, i do fully appreciate anyone's reluctance in giving info away,

anyhow...

Stone Curlews, Weeting - is there a particularly good or bad time of day for them to show ? (and anything else of special note in the greater-Thetford / Brandon CP area...)

Montagu's , , any help in location would be useful...(ok so this is going to be a tricky one in many people's mind i guess, so perhaps PM ?)

Lakenheath Fen - anyone got the OS ref ? obviously i have an old copy as its not shown (well i cant see it anyhow)

Nightjars in Norfolk ?

finally, Honey Buzzards were on my orig. list of RFI but cheers Chris, i will bear that in mind.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back